Liam Morrison - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Morrison

Squirrelhumper

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Getting rave reviews.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liam-morrison-rises-through-bayern-22320930

Another Three Towns lad doing well for himself.

Would be great to see him and Gilmour in Scotland side managed by Clarke.

Great to hear. I hope he continues to progress with them!

Hopefully he is good enough to make the step up sooner rather than later. With being a defender you dint mind him not playing first team football as young, but with us being shite at the back you hope he  can move up soon. Even if he ends up on loan to a Bundesliga 1 or 2 team for a couple of seasons. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s probably the most promising centre back I’ve ever seen for us. A bit like a Richard Gough, but a fair bit taller. Very comfortable on the ball and great in the air. King looks great, also, but maybe more of an Alan McLaren-type. 

Aye he's a tall lad.

His dad was a few years older than me and was a cracking player when he was younger. Sadly blighted with injuries.

Both Morrison and King are exciting prospects, but we know many young Scottish players who stand out at that age - for whatever reason - don’t fulfil that potential, although it’s obviously hugely encouraging that Morrison is at such a huge European club and has been elevated to Bayern’s U-19s at 17, and that King is so highly regarded at Rangers. 

Even if they do progress as we hope, they’re still a few years away from being in contention probably as very few CHs play at a top level as teenagers. Having two solid CHs at international level is crucial for our hopes of regularly qualifying for majors and competing in them. 

I’m really hoping we can find a solid partnership from McKenna, Hanley, Cooper, Findlay, Souttar, Gallagher, but none of them is playing at the top level and there are question marks there.

McKenna went backwards last season but had a few injury issues, same as Souttar; I’ve never been convinced by Cooper but hopefully Leeds go up and he improves and proves himself at a higher level; Hanley is experienced and has played well for us but has had some bad games, too, and is also injury prone; Findlay looks good in the Premiership with Killie and has good pace and physicality, but is a bit untested at a higher level; Gallagher has had issues with his jail time, but looks like a late bloomer and I’ve been impressed with his performances for us in the two games he’s played (albeit against quite limited international opposition) - he’s quite quick, composed on the ball, dominant in the air, his height is an advantage and he knows how to defend.

Lindsay’s barely playing at Stoke and McIntyre is just back in the team after injury at Reading. We really need two of that lot to quickly progress and step up to the standard required because the soft goals we’ve been conceding for years is killing us.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I could see Morrison getting capped at 18, or certainly 19. Very unusual for a Scottish centre half, but I think he’s that good. 

Big seasons ahead for McKenna, Souttar and Findlay. By the end of it they ought to be thinking of playing at a higher level.

Fingers crossed Morrison really is that good. I agree with you that it would be great to see our CHs playing at a higher level than they currently do. We have lots of quality in the squad in most other positions and if we improve in the middle of our defence, it would make a big difference.

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I could see Morrison getting capped at 18, or certainly 19. Very unusual for a Scottish centre half, but I think he’s that good. 

Big seasons ahead for McKenna, Souttar and Findlay. By the end of it they ought to be thinking of playing at a higher level.

What are you basing that on, hes never played a professional game, we have had 20 or more lads at top European clubs over the last 15 years and the only 1 that's made it is mctominay, Gilmour looks like he will make it but its still not certain. I will get excited when he's playing first team football even if its at lower level on loan somewhere. 

32 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What are you basing that on, hes never played a professional game, we have had 20 or more lads at top European clubs over the last 15 years and the only 1 that's made it is mctominay, Gilmour looks like he will make it but its still not certain. I will get excited when he's playing first team football even if its at lower level on loan somewhere. 

Nothing to do with his club. It’s based on watching him play, same as Gilmour.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nothing to do with his club. It’s based on watching him play, same as Gilmour.

Fair enough but no matter how well a youngster plays at youth level it's a massive leap up to professional at a decent level and there's been plenty of youth players who have looked like stars and then struggled at Pro level. 

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fair enough but no matter how well a youngster plays at youth level it's a massive leap up to professional at a decent level and there's been plenty of youth players who have looked like stars and then struggled at Pro level. 

That’s true, but I did say Morrison is the best prospect at centre half I’ve seen for us, and I thought the same for Gilmour when I first saw him. I’ve been watching with interest since the 80s. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s true, but I did say Morrison is the best prospect at centre half I’ve seen for us, and I thought the same for Gilmour when I first saw him. I’ve been watching with interest since the 80s. 

Yeh Tbf I hope he turns out good, gunna be a big ask to break into that bayern team tbh. If he can make it in germany or a top league it would be massive boost for us. 

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Any talk Bayern might loan him out in next 12 months? As well as he's progressing it's a huge ask for him to break through there.

It is, but I’m talking about him breaking into the Scotland team which is quite a bit easier. He would likely play in the Bayern B team in 2021 and then maybe a loan. 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Surley Darren Fletcher "made it" and had many other footballers with good careers, premiership or there abouts.

45 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Surley Darren Fletcher "made it" and had many other footballers with good careers, premiership or there abouts.

Darren fletcher broke through about 2004 so slightly before 15 years but even if we include him then we are looking at 2 players that have made it at a top European club. There's probably about 20 or more young players who have been at top European clubs in that time period. So we are looking at a 1/10 chance at least of this lad making it. Sorry but the odds are against him. 

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Darren fletcher broke through about 2004 so slightly before 15 years but even if we include him then we are looking at 2 players that have made it at a top European club. There's probably about 20 or more young players who have been at top European clubs in that time period. So we are looking at a 1/10 chance at least of this lad making it. Sorry but the odds are against him. 

You said over the last 15, which would include him playing. Anyway I think you're a bit doom and gloom. It hasn't been great but we do have players playing at better levels whether they started at a big club or no they started at a big club. Andy Robertson also playing in the last 15 years although worked his way up. Naismith at Everton. Not huge club but had a very good career. 

7 minutes ago, Kirk said:

You said over the last 15, which would include him playing. Anyway I think you're a bit doom and gloom. It hasn't been great but we do have players playing at better levels whether they started at a big club or no they started at a big club. Andy Robertson also playing in the last 15 years although worked his way up. Naismith at Everton. Not huge club but had a very good career. 

Well I said we have had only 1 player to break through at a top club in the last 15 years which strictly speaking is true, fletcher broke into the man utd team in roughly 2004, infact it was actually 2003 that he made his debut I think so he doesn't make it into 15 years. Since 2005 we have had 1 player break through and thats mctominay. In that space of time we have had probably 20 youth players that have been at top European clubs. We are looking at roughly a 1 in 20 chance if you look at it from a purely statistical basis. Very few of our youth players make it at top European clubs.

I am not all doom and gloom, I think it's positive that mctominay and potentially Gilmour are making it at top clubs and it's positive that we have so many epl players atm plus I really rate celtics Scottish players as well. 

Liam morrison might be a talented young player but until he starts playing pro football even at a low level then we will not really know if he will make it. I actually would get more hopeful over someone like porteous or McIntyre because they have made to transition to pro football and could step up a level or two. If McIntyre proves himself at championship level next season then there's a decent chance he could turn into an epl quality centre back. Porteous also looks really good but like alot of our players he seems injury prone. 

On a positive note its great that Liam morrison is getting the top class training that a club like bayern can provide and I genuinely hope the guy makes it in germany. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ElChris04

Have a lot of hope for him, our CB’s have been mostly absolutely dire over the last decade and Morrison looks like he could really be the genuine article, hopefully he goes out on loan to further increase his development if he isn’t going to break into the Bayern first team, but aye high hopes none the less.