Hopes for 2020/21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hopes for 2020/21

SkyBlueScot

Just starting to think now of the season to come and made me wonder what my hopes are for Scottish players over the next season. Weirdly I'm looking to Rangers for a lot of this.  Gerrard has been awful in terms of giving Scottish players a chance but this could be his year. 

This article (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-right-back-poser-steven-22301376) highlights Nathan Patterson. If he is given game time do you thinkthere's a chance of making his way into the squad? I really like what I saw of him last season. Their youth teams look promising but players like Mebude is almost 20 so has to break through this season.

Anyway, these are the ones I'm looking out for:

- Hornby

- N Patterson 

- Gilmour

- Turnbull

- Johnston

14 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just starting to think now of the season to come and made me wonder what my hopes are for Scottish players over the next season. Weirdly I'm looking to Rangers for a lot of this.  Gerrard has been awful in terms of giving Scottish players a chance but this could be his year. 

This article (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-right-back-poser-steven-22301376) highlights Nathan Patterson. If he is given game time do you thinkthere's a chance of making his way into the squad? I really like what I saw of him last season. Their youth teams look promising but players like Mebude is almost 20 so has to break through this season.

- Hornby

- N Patterson 

- Gilmour

- Turnbull

- Johnston

It says on wiki that mebude is 18. He's about to turn 19 tho, would be good to see him go on loan to a lower spl team or maybe a league 1 team in England. I doubt he will get much game time for rangers what with operation stop the ten about to commence.

I hope to see Johnston progress this season and play a big part for celtic so that he gets in the Scotland squad. Hes got bags of tricks and ability, we usually lack players like that who have flair and confidence. 

Gilmour looks a talent and even if he plays just cup games and sub appearances for Chelsea then I would say its worth staying at Chelsea rather than going out on loan. A loan move wouldn't be the worst option as he would get a seasons football under his belt and gain experience even if it was at championship level. He didn't look particularly very good against Leicester which was due to them pressing hard and tackling hard. He needs to bulk up and toughen up as the epl is a physically demanding league and he is quite weak physically. 

Shankland is one I have hopes for as well but he has to move on imo, I would like rangers to take a chance on him. The amount of chances rangers create would be ideal for shankland and he would help them to beat the lower half spl teams that they slipped up to after the Xmas break. Morelos could leave and defoe is old so rangers need to look to the future and shankland is a inexpensive option plus he's a rangers fan I think so he would jump at the chance. If hes scoring for rangers then he would probably get more chances with Scotland imo. 

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It says on wiki that mebude is 18. He's about to turn 19 tho

You're right, apologies for that. Big difference between 19 and 20 so he's got more time than I thought.

Shankland's a good call. There's also Dykes if he chooses us. I think the English Championship may well be his next step. McBurnie, Griffiths, Shankland, Dykes and Naismith. Not exactly world beaters but a growing pool to choose from.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You're right, apologies for that. Big difference between 19 and 20 so he's got more time than I thought.

Shankland's a good call. There's also Dykes if he chooses us. I think the English Championship may well be his next step. McBurnie, Griffiths, Shankland, Dykes and Naismith. Not exactly world beaters but a growing pool to choose from.

Our striking options are limited, Griffiths is our best imo but his mental health means he could end up losing him. We could do with a genuine talent coming through like a robertson or Tierney but obviously in the striker position. 

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

- Hornby

- N Patterson 

- Gilmour

- Turnbull

- Johnston

Given the obsession at Rangers to “stop the 10” and all that sh**e I can’t see any young players at Rangers getting a chance next season. Same with Celtic. It will be the tried and tested and the big money signings. 

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

There's always a chance that another young striker will break through this season join them. Such as Appere, Hornby or Scott at Hull.

It won't go down very well with alot on here but we will probably get Che Adams or karlan grant wanting to play for us in a few years time. Neither have much chance of playing for England given the abundance of young talented strikers they have coming through. Karlan grant is 22 and is doing well for a struggling Huddersfield team. Most likely will be playing epl next season or the season after. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It won't go down very well with alot on here but we will probably get Che Adams or karlan grant wanting to play for us in a few years time. Neither have much chance of playing for England given the abundance of young talented strikers they have coming through. Karlan grant is 22 and is doing well for a struggling Huddersfield team. Most likely will be playing epl next season or the season after. 

You can cross Adams off. He was formally approached by us back in 2017 and he wasn't interested. 

If we do approach Grant and he says no then forget him too. 

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You can cross Adams off. He was formally approached by us back in 2017 and he wasn't interested. 

If we do approach Grant and he says no then forget him too. 

Yeh thats not how it will work in reality especially with the changing of managers every few years. We will swallow our pride and either player will be given the chance to play for us especially if they are scoring goals in the epl. 

Yeh thats not how it will work in reality especially with the changing of managers every few years. We will swallow our pride and either player will be given the chance to play for us especially if they are scoring goals in the epl. 

We shouldn't.

If they say "no" once then that should be that.

Potentially chasing someone for three or four years badgering them to play for Scotland is embarrassing.

Personally I don't expect either Adams or Grant to ever play for us. Lyndon Dykes will also most likely choose to play for Australia.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We shouldn't.

If they say "no" once then that should be that.

Potentially chasing someone for three or four years badgering them to play for Scotland is embarrassing.

Personally I don't expect either Adams or Grant to ever play for us. Lyndon Dykes will also most likely choose to play for Australia.

I wouldn't be so sure, I reckon one of them will play for us depending on how they get on in the epl. Che Adams has hardly scored any goals in the epl and will probably never be considered for England until his form improves. Karlan grant is only 22 but he has yet til prove himself in the epl as well. If in 4 years time both have not had a sniff at England then they will defo reconsider playing for us and we will be certain to take them imo. 

Lyndon dykes isnt worth chasing, his goal record in the spl is poor and hes already 24.

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I wouldn't be so sure, I reckon one of them will play for us depending on how they get on in the epl. Che Adams has hardly scored any goals in the epl and will probably never be considered for England until his form improves. Karlan grant is only 22 but he has yet til prove himself in the epl as well. If in 4 years time both have not had a sniff at England then they will defo reconsider playing for us and we will be certain to take them imo. 

Lyndon dykes isnt worth chasing, his goal record in the spl is poor and hes already 24.

Today's goal aside, Adams has looked way out of his depth in the Premier League. Grant of course still has to be tested in the Premiership but he could well could well be one of many strikers who knocked them in for fun in the Championship but can't do it at a higher level.

In three or four years time Adams and Grant may be reduced to knocking in the odd goal for a Championship side battling relegation to League One. A couple of new young Scottish strikers may well emerge in that time. 

Adams has already made his choice and should be forgotten.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Today's goal aside, Adams has looked way out of his depth in the Premier League. Grant of course still has to be tested in the Premiership but he could well could well be one of many strikers who knocked them in for fun in the Championship but can't do it at a higher level.

In three or four years time Adams and Grant may be reduced to knocking in the odd goal for a Championship side battling relegation to League One. A couple of new young Scottish strikers may well emerge in that time. 

Adams has already made his choice and should be forgotten.

Take a look around, we don't have any strikers who do well in the epl and we haven't for years barring a short spell by fletcher, championship strikers are our level sadly. Che Adams and grant would walk into our squads tomorrow. I am not wanting them called up as I feel the same as you but at the same time I accept the reality that if in three years time they decide to play for us then they will pretty much be guaranteed a squad place and we will swallow our pride simple as that and no amount of patriotism on here will change that. 

Whats the chances of us suddenly  producing a couple of epl quality strikers when we haven't in nearly twenty years. 

In fact the last time we produced epl strikers would of been the early 90s with guys like Kevin gallacher, Duncan Ferguson and John Spencer. Maybe Don Hutchison as well but he started off as a midfielder I think. We don't produce epl strikers although personally I think Griffiths could cut it there if he decided to try England again but hes obviously the type of guy who likes being at home in Scotland and doesn't like being away. Karlan grant and Adams are defo a step up from anything we have barring Griffiths and mcburnie and Griffiths will likely be gone in 3 years time leaving us with just mcburnie. It's a simple fact that those two just have to declare their availability for us and they will be in our squads. 

36 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Take a look around, we don't have any strikers who do well in the epl and we haven't for years barring a short spell by fletcher, championship strikers are our level sadly. Che Adams and grant would walk into our squads tomorrow. I am not wanting them called up as I feel the same as you but at the same time I accept the reality that if in three years time they decide to play for us then they will pretty much be guaranteed a squad place and we will swallow our pride simple as that and no amount of patriotism on here will change that. 

Whats the chances of us suddenly  producing a couple of epl quality strikers when we haven't in nearly twenty years. 

Debatable.

In fact the last time we produced epl strikers would of been the early 90s with guys like Kevin gallacher, Duncan Ferguson and John Spencer. Maybe Don Hutchison as well but he started off as a midfielder I think. We don't produce epl strikers although personally I think Griffiths could cut it there if he decided to try England again but hes obviously the type of guy who likes being at home in Scotland and doesn't like being away. Karlan grant and Adams are defo a step up from anything we have barring Griffiths and mcburnie and Griffiths will likely be gone in 3 years time leaving us with just mcburnie. It's a simple fact that those two just have to declare their availability for us and they will be in our squads. 

They won't declare for us. Just like Gabriel Agbonlahor, Andy Carroll and Jonjo Shelvey did before them. So there's your problem solved.

I'm confident that in three or four years time a couple of young Scottish strikers will have emerged.

Btw playing well in the English Premier League is no guarantee of a player being any good at international level. We have had several players who could do it in the Premier League but just couldn't do it at international level for whatever reason. Forgive me if I don't join the wankfest over that particular league.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Given the obsession at Rangers to “stop the 10” and all that sh**e I can’t see any young players at Rangers getting a chance next season. Same with Celtic. It will be the tried and tested and the big money signings. 

Let's not try to explain this phenomenon away with 10 in a row. Rangers barely gave Scottish youth a chance when they were in Div 3.

Off the top of my head, their last youth player to make it there was Allan Hutton.

22 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Debatable.

They won't declare for us. Just like Gabriel Agbonlahor, Andy Carroll and Jonjo Shelvey did before them. So there's your problem solved.

I'm confident that in three or four years time a couple of young Scottish strikers will have emerged.

Btw playing well in the English Premier League is no guarantee of a player being any good at international level. We have had several players who could do it in the Premier League but just couldn't do it at international level for whatever reason. Forgive me if I don't join the wankfest over that particular league.

Its not debatable, if you are picking 4 strikers then who gets ahead of Adams and grant, I can only think of mcburnie and Griffiths and thats not accounting for any injuries that might rule out those two.

Agbonlahor and Carroll are both really good strikers who got called up by England, if they didn't get called up and it looked like they never would then theres a good chance they would of considered us. I don't know why they are even relevant to the discussion. 

What are you basing this confidence on when you consider we haven't produced epl strikers for nearly 30 years. I agree that being an epl striker doesn't automatically make you any good but we don't even have many English championship or spl strikers to choose from such is the weakness of striking talent we have. 

What league would you want our players excelling in bearing in mind that we have barely had players who have made it in any other top leagues barring one or two. The epl is top level football like it or not, even the English championship is decent standard. If you are a striker doing well in either of that leagues then you are easily good enough for our squad. Thats the reality of the situation. 

Edited by mccaughey85

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its not debatable, if you are picking 4 strikers then who gets ahead of Adams and grant, I can only think of mcburnie and Griffiths and thats not accounting for any injuries that might rule out those two.

Agbonlahor and Carroll are both really good strikers who got called up by England, if they didn't get called up and it looked like they never would then theres a good chance they would of considered us. I don't know why they are even relevant to the discussion. 

What are you basing this confidence on when you consider we haven't produced epl strikers for nearly 30 years. I agree that being an epl striker doesn't automatically make you any good but we don't even have many English championship or spl strikers to choose from such is the weakness of striking talent we have. 

What league would you want our players excelling in bearing in mind that we have barely had players who have made it in any other top leagues barring one or two. The epl is top level football like it or not, even the English championship is decent standard. If you are a striker doing well in either of that leagues then you are easily good enough for our squad. Thats the reality of the situation. 

McBurnie has still to prove that a) he can play well and score consistently in the Premier League and b) he actually cares about playing for Scotland (I am sceptical and I'm not the only one)

I'd gladly have Shankland over Adams any day. 

Really not interested in this be all and end all worship at the altar of plodding English football. 

Where would I like our strikers to play ? Just any club where they can get games and score goals. It was nice to see Hornby go to France rather than some shitey Championship club and hopefully he'll get cracking soon.

It's only common sense that other strikers will emerge at some point. I'm not going to spend the next hour trawling through every clubs youth team in Scotland and England for Scottish strikers, you can do that yourself if you want.

We won't ever be seeing Adams or Grant play for us anyway so whats the point ?

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

McBurnie has still to prove that a) he can play well and score consistently in the Premier League and b) he actually cares about playing for Scotland (I am sceptical and I'm not the only one)

I'd gladly have Shankland over Adams any day. 

Really not interested in this be all and end all worship at the altar of plodding English football. 

Where would I like our strikers to play ? Just any club where they can get games and score goals. It was nice to see Hornby go to France rather than some shitey Championship club and hopefully he'll get cracking soon.

It's only common sense that other strikers will emerge at some point. I'm not going to spend the next hour trawling through every clubs youth team in Scotland and England for Scottish strikers, you can do that yourself if you want.

We won't ever be seeing Adams or Grant play for us anyway so whats the point ?

You would have a guy whos only ever scored goals at Scottish championship level over a guy whos scored goals in the English championship and has just scored the winner over man city. The Scottish championship is akin to league 2 or worse in England. Can you name anyone else other than shankland as you don't rate mcburnie. You do realise that at least 4 strikers are usually picked for a squad. Let's imagine for a minute that shankland is injured, who would you select as strikers that are better than Adams or grant. 

Why don't we pick guys from the Highland league seeing as you don't rate the English championship. 

Hornby couldn't score in the belgian top flight, what makes you think he will be a success in France, infact theres a good chance he won't even be a starter for reims. 

Its not common sense to think we will suddenly produce top strikers when we haven't for nearly 30 years. 

Why would I trawl the youth teams for young Scottish strikers when the chances are there are very few and even the ones that there are have a slim to none chance of making it at a decent level. 

Your whole argument is based on the fact you don't want England rejects playing for Scotland, which I agree with but to suggest that barring Griffiths and mcburnie we have strikers that are as good as Adams and grant is ludicrous to say the least. If grant and Adams were Scottish or if they chose us first over England then you and everyone on this board would be clamouring for them to be in our squads. 

We have had plenty of English rejects over the years so it isn't beyond belief that one of those two might play for us. 

Hmm is this the same Che Adams who had a worse strike rate in several seasons in non-league football than Fraser Hornby had in Belgium (and yes he could score there he netted three goals in twelve games). The same Che Adams who has one goal in 25 in the EPL - makes Ollie McBurnie look like Pele to me. Nah leave him on the rubbish tip - we do not need to go head hunting his sort with neither the record or the heart for the job. I'd sooner stick with Shankland who has shown he can score at international level or even Oliver Burke now playing in the top flight in Spain with a better strike rate than Adams.

14 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Let's not try to explain this phenomenon away with 10 in a row. Rangers barely gave Scottish youth a chance when they were in Div 3.

Off the top of my head, their last youth player to make it there was Allan Hutton.

Very true. Wee Barrie McKay had a decent run at it with Rangers but can’t think of many others. 

13 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The casual observer might conclude that there could be some correlation between this and our continuing failure to qualify for a major tournament (since we haven't done so since the 1990s). This is the TAMB though, and we know the real reason is because the SFA just keep hiring managers who get their tactics wrong.

Other than Griffiths and McBurnie, our current options at centre-forward are: Lawrence Shankland (who has an excellent scoring record - against part-time players), Steven Naismith (34 on his birthday), Callum Paterson and Chris Martin (who have both scored fewer between them in the same division that McBurnie scored 20 odd goals last season), Oliver Burke, Matt Phillips and Johnny Russell (who aren't really centre-forwards). It's not hard to imagine that someone like Grant, who's still only 22 but has scored nearly 18 goals for a poor team, could improve on that - if he opts to play for us.

5 hours ago, syecosse said:

Another decent prospect is the Reading Centre back Mcintyre he was apparently excellent on Saturday, Reading fans really rate him and hope he now keeps his place. 

I'd forgotten about him - definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Apparently Michael Rose has had a good season for Coventry City and will be playing in the same league next season (apparently Leeds have been keeping tabs on him too). He could be another centre-half worth keeping an eye on.