Glasgow Terrorist Attack - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow Terrorist Attack

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

I suspect that the reason hotels were closed was as a result of the whole "stay at home" instructions meant that hotels had no option but to close rather than hotels representing a particularly heightened risk.  The government took that decision out of their hands but I suspect the motivation was more to do with trying to get as many people as possible locked down at home.

Of course there would be things about a hotel which would have heightened risk, bars, restaurants, cleaners going into rooms daily.   Take those away, not sure that represent that much of a bigger risk than being cooped up in a Studio flat.

I think its much more interesting to know where they were being housed before COVID that meant it was deemed better to move them into hotels.

Hotels have been housing all sorts of people during the pandemic most notably a lot of NHS workers so that they can continue to work without the worry of infecting their families or those struggling to get too and from work because of the reduction in public transport.

I work on a daily basis with people who are asylum seekers/refugees. As far as the information I have been given most of the individuals who were staying in that hotel were people who were rough sleepers/destitute. An organisation I collaborate with were providing support. I have been asked to assess individuals who are currently staying in hotels during the current coronavirus pandemic so this incident is a bit close to home.

16 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I work on a daily basis with people who are asylum seekers/refugees. As far as the information I have been given most of the individuals who were staying in that hotel were people who were rough sleepers/destitute. An organisation I collaborate with were providing support. I have been asked to assess individuals who are currently staying in hotels during the current coronavirus pandemic so this incident is a bit close to home.

Thanks for that.  Information obviously hard to come by.  I knew that GCC - as had many other councils - had got a lot of rough sleepers off the street and I think homeless hostels had had to close as well.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Thanks for that.  Information obviously hard to come by.  I knew that GCC - as had many other councils - had got a lot of rough sleepers off the street and I think homeless hostels had had to close as well.

Don't think there are any homeless hostels left in Glasgow city. Most of the people I work with are usually in temp. accommodation. As far as I am aware the people who are currently being accommodated in hotels have until, I think, September (might be wrong). Think that is part of the reason why I've been asked to assess individuals before the hotel situation ends. I also think it's important to understand that anyone who has experienced homelessness, refugees, asylum seekers, people with addictions etc have had a traumatic experience which could enhance the mental health issues currently being highlighted in news reports.

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

OK, that would make more sense. That Guardian article said this 

"At the beginning of the lockdown an estimated 380 refugees and asylum seekers were moved by the private housing provider Mears from their individual accommodation into six hotels in Glasgow city centre."

That's what gave me my "WTF" moment.

Probably just more shyte reporting. I suppose "individual accommodation" could mean a cardboard box right enough?

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

OK, that would make more sense. That Guardian article said this 

"At the beginning of the lockdown an estimated 380 refugees and asylum seekers were moved by the private housing provider Mears from their individual accommodation into six hotels in Glasgow city centre."

That's what gave me my "WTF" moment.

Probably just more shyte reporting. I suppose "individual accommodation" could mean a cardboard box right enough?

To be honest I didn't read the article. I just know that some of the individuals who are temporary staying in some hotels are being supported by the Simon Community who generally work alongside the street teams who support mainly rough sleepers. The 380 refugees is an interesting number as I'm sure there wouldn't be 380 (refugee) rough sleepers in Glasgow. I will try and find out were the figure comes from. As you said could be shyte reporting or probably manipulation of the figures.

8 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

To be honest I didn't read the article. I just know that some of the individuals who are temporary staying in some hotels are being supported by the Simon Community who generally work alongside the street teams who support mainly rough sleepers. The 380 refugees is an interesting number as I'm sure there wouldn't be 380 (refugee) rough sleepers in Glasgow. I will try and find out were the figure comes from. As you said could be shyte reporting or probably manipulation of the figures.

Would any asylum seekers or refugees be rough-sleeping though?  I though there was a legal requirement to provide housing - something the Home Office have out-sourced to Mears.

17 minutes ago, aaid said:

Would any asylum seekers or refugees be rough-sleeping though?  I though there was a legal requirement to provide housing - something the Home Office have out-sourced to Mears.

You would be surprised. There is a legal requirement to offer housing but some people refuse the offers and decide rough sleeping is a better option for differing reasons.

usually single males.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

I work in the city centre and I've noticed a lot more people around who look like they could be asylum seekers than usual. If they've been moved from flats into accommodation in the city centre then that would tally.

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You would be surprised. There is a legal requirement to offer housing but some people refuse the offers and decide rough sleeping is a better option for differing reasons.

usually single males.

Similar experience out here, chronic mental health and addiction issues, single males choosing to sleep rough, in a car or camp instead of housing 

Alison Thewlis has secured a statement in the HoC.

321 Asylum seekers were moved from serviced apartments in Glasgow into hotels because they were considered "not suitable" by Mears for housing people because of COVID.

Apparently, the Glasgow MPs had written to the Home Office a week ago expressing concern about the conditions people were being kept in.

Oh, and it looks like it was a "Whitehall source" who told the BBC that 3 people had been killed.