Glasgow Terrorist Attack - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow Terrorist Attack

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

For such sad and tragic events this board doesn't half quickly sink into acrimony.  I'd like to think we were better than that.

Was just thinking that myself.

Tragic events.

Most reports now saying it was one of the asylum seekers staying in the hotel. Some hotel staff were stabbed as was a police officer and other hotel guests

EDIT the reporting from sky news is terrible. 

Edited by vanderark14

Could just as easily be a mental health issue as a terrorist attack 🙅‍♂️ Yoons on twitter already going full Farage blaming Sturgeon for letting all they 'asylum seeker types' into o the country! 😔

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Could just as easily be a mental health issue as a terrorist attack 🙅‍♂️ Yoons on twitter already going full Farage blaming Sturgeon for letting all they 'asylum seeker types' into o the country! 😔

Exactly - assuming this is what's happened and there's no other motives, its not exactly as if no-one's ever been stabbed in Glasgow before.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

For such sad and tragic events this board doesn't half quickly sink into acrimony.  I'd like to think we were better than that.

I sadly agree, but when wee Hitler thought police follow you around, it gets tedious. Anyway, now been called auld by the moron, so full bingo card now.

Reporting Scotland have gone the full Day Today, outside broadcast from just up the road.

They've just reported about a social media post claiming that the attacker was a Brazilian asylum seeker but the tweet had been deleted and they can't confirm it.  If it's the one that I saw this afternoon, it named him as Edson Arantes do Nascimento. 

:wtf::banghead:

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Even though she has no control over immigration? 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Reporting Scotland have gone the full Day Today, outside broadcast from just up the road.

They've just reported about a social media post claiming that the attacker was a Brazilian asylum seeker but the tweet had been deleted and they can't confirm it.  If it's the one that I saw this afternoon, it named him as Edson Arantes do Nascimento. 

:wtf::banghead:

:lol: Surely, surely they haven't fallen for that Tweet?!

Sources had suggested two other people died at the hotel, which is currently housing asylum seekers. In fact it appears only the suspect was killed.

Police said the incident was not being treated as terrorism.

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Sources had suggested two other people died at the hotel, which is currently housing asylum seekers. In fact it appears only the suspect was killed.

Police said the incident was not being treated as terrorism.

BBC Scotland have been all over the place.  Initially they were saying three killed, then none, now two.  I haven't checked in the last 10 minutes but I think it's still only the suspect who's been confirmed as a fatality.

Then they've fallen for a tweet suggesting it was Pele. 

BBC News 24 papers review at 11.45pm still let the reviewer witter on that 3 were dead until her piece was over then corrected her at the end that quickly you could have missed it before moving onto the next topic

Dont you find it strange that the same BBC that are loathed to mention any incident as terrorist related were straight on the get go inferring this was ..and still doing so hours after it has been stated it wasnt

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dont you find it strange that the same BBC that are loathed to mention any incident as terrorist related were straight on the get go inferring this was ..and still doing so hours after it has been stated it wasnt

I dunno the fact that they were incorrect about the number of deaths and thought that the knifeman was Pele suggests nothing more than journalistic incompetence. 

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I dunno the fact that they were incorrect about the number of deaths and thought that the knifeman was Pele suggests nothing more than journalistic incompetence. 

I'd like to think that but i believe it is far more insidious

It gave the British Nationalists ammunition to attack Sturgeon and the Scottish Government and they were fucking raging that it wasnt terrorist related

The government close down hotels because of COVID19. They then move people out of their individual accommodation into a hotel which has just been closed down due the the risk of COVID19?

I'd like to have a look at that risk assessment. 

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The government close down hotels because of COVID19. They then move people out of their individual accommodation into a hotel which has just been closed down due the the risk of COVID19?

I'd like to have a look at that risk assessment. 

I suspect that the reason hotels were closed was as a result of the whole "stay at home" instructions meant that hotels had no option but to close rather than hotels representing a particularly heightened risk.  The government took that decision out of their hands but I suspect the motivation was more to do with trying to get as many people as possible locked down at home.

Of course there would be things about a hotel which would have heightened risk, bars, restaurants, cleaners going into rooms daily.   Take those away, not sure that represent that much of a bigger risk than being cooped up in a Studio flat.

I think its much more interesting to know where they were being housed before COVID that meant it was deemed better to move them into hotels.

Hotels have been housing all sorts of people during the pandemic most notably a lot of NHS workers so that they can continue to work without the worry of infecting their families or those struggling to get too and from work because of the reduction in public transport.

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

I suspect that the reason hotels were closed was as a result of the whole "stay at home" instructions meant that hotels had no option but to close rather than hotels representing a particularly heightened risk.  The government took that decision out of their hands but I suspect the motivation was more to do with trying to get as many people as possible locked down at home.

Of course there would be things about a hotel which would have heightened risk, bars, restaurants, cleaners going into rooms daily.   Take those away, not sure that represent that much of a bigger risk than being cooped up in a Studio flat.

I think its much more interesting to know where they were being housed before COVID that meant it was deemed better to move them into hotels.

Hotels have been housing all sorts of people during the pandemic most notably a lot of NHS workers so that they can continue to work without the worry of infecting their families or those struggling to get too and from work because of the reduction in public transport.

The fact he was waiting for approval on a voluntary  return to Sudan suggests it wasn't The Ritz. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

The fact he was waiting for approval on a voluntary  return to Sudan suggests it wasn't The Ritz. 

I'm talking about all the asylum seekers, not just one particular guy.