Scotland Team of the 90s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Team of the 90s

JECK

Best 11 of the decade. Was thinking that could be good topic for a couple of weeks after watching the recent tournament games shown on TV but then thought whats the point. Then i just thought fk it.

Went 4-2-3-1:

GK - Goram

LB - Malpas

RB - Mckimmie

CB - Gough(Cap)

CB - Hendry

CM - McStay

CM - McCall

RM - McAlllister

LM - Collins

ATM - Hutchison

CF - McCoist

Toss up between 2 between sticks obviously and Goram was just better for me, 2 tournaments, enough said.  Malpas easy decision at LB, looked right footed but very calm and assured, looked like a class player. Can't think any others could get near him. Mckimmie cause of longevity basically, no frills but you cant quibble at 3 tournaments. Probably helped by Steve Nicol not being involved hardly in the decade (yet another who didnt get on with Roxburgh so i read) Wanted 4 at the back and not 3. Gough and Hendry could have been a great thing, thats all am saying...moving on to centre mid, Stuart Mcall - Is it any wonder Rangers done so well in the 90s with midfielders like this in their team. His tackling in the tournament games i watched was just magnificent. Along side McStay would be the perfect double act in the middle. Looked a class player at Euro 92.  Obviously McAllister and Collins would have to be involved given their longetiviy but both would have to settle for narrow wide players in this team. And there been next to no natural wide players making a significant impact for the entire decade, much to our detrimant may i add. Up top should have been MoJo, didn't make enough appereances during the decade to warrant a place i felt. So went for Hutchison when he came in who i thought put a bit of life into Craig Browns team. Had a bit of gallus about him. Elegant, could hold the ball up and was a handful in the air. Picked over Durie and Gallacher, who basically ran alot and gave their all but their but a lack of killer instinct and assurance infront of goal put me off. McCoist purely for his goals. Although not a spectacular record better than Durie and Gallacher. 

I’m gonna go 3-5-2....  since it’s what we used most of the decade.

Goram

Gough.     Hendry.    Mclaren

Mckimmie.                   McCall.                     Robertson

McAllister.              Collins

McCoist.            Roberston

difficult call up front as mo Johnston would be a good shout but Robertson gets the nod.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, JECK said:

Best 11 of the decade. Was thinking that could be good topic for a couple of weeks after watching the recent tournament games shown on TV but then thought whats the point. Then i just thought fk it.

Went 4-2-3-1:

GK - Goram

LB - Malpas

RB - Mckimmie

CB - Gough(Cap)

CB - Hendry

CM - McStay

CM - McCall

RM - McAlllister

LM - Collins

ATM - Hutchison

CF - McCoist

Good team, if I was to change it (assuming all players at their peak) I would have to go 5-3-2 as it was the 90s. Bringing Davie Weir into defence.

I'd have Tom Boyd instead of McKimmie for his athleticism. 

In midfield I'd pick McAllister, Collins and Lambert.  McStay was a brilliant player but I think those 3 would have greater influence on a game. Paul would be a great player to bring on if you were holding a lead though.

I'd have loved to have seen Hutch and Ally playing together in their prime,  could have been a deadly partnership. 

Torn over the keeper too. Leighton v Sweden was probably the best goalkeeping performance I've seen but Goram could pull off some miraculous saves.

Edited by Toepoke

I have enjoyed watching the reruns of euro 96 recently.  I was at all the games and remember at the time how poor we thought the players were individually but the team was better was the sum of the parts.  Now, would love to have a midfield with Collins, McCall, Mcallister.