Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
exile

Black Lives Matter... in Scotland

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, phart said:

It won't be one or another.

If it was solely the "welfare state" then the same problems would exist wherever a "welfare state" existed.

Study after study has shown that wealth is a greater predictor of "success" than ability/intelligence/opportunity etc.

"Young people who are minorities, or from the working class, or low income who are talented when they are young -- they don't make it to the finish line,” Carnevale said. “That is, this study goes all the way into the labor market, and in the end, the loss rate of these young people is huge."

By looking at years of data from different sources, the Georgetown researchers found that smart poor students are less likely to become wealthy by age 25 than not-so-smart rich students. The poor students also have less chance of graduating from college than their low-performing wealthy peers."

"The study also found that racial disparities magnify the problems. Poor black and Latino students who are smart, are less likely to find success than their poor and smart white peers. "

https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/schooled2lose/

So starting at a lower level of wealth means your offspring are statistcally more likely to start at a lower level of wealth.

Past is prologue

https://1gyhoq479ufd3yna29x7ubjn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/FR-Born_to_win-schooled_to_lose.pdf

 

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/01/what-school-funding-debates-ignore/551126/

Thought this was quite interesting on school funding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The police woman in that video has a serious attitude problem. 

‘Are we telepathic to know you have gone for a GPS cycle ride with your family’. 

FFS , what a fantastic way to diffuse a heated situation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without googling does anyone know how many US police were murdered in 2019. 

In 2019, 49 alleged offenders were identified in connection with the 48 law enforcement officers feloniously killed. Of those offenders, the following characteristics are known:

28 of the alleged offenders were White, 15 were Black/African American, and 1 was Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander. Race was not reported for 5 of the alleged offenders. (See Table 42.)

And of the 48 cops killed...

By race, 40 of the victim officers were White, 7 were Black/African American, and 1 was Asian. (See Table 15.)

That compares to...

The police fatally shot 9 unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database...

My guess is you wont have heard of the unarmed white victims of the police and you certainly wont have heard of the cops themselves killed. No race hustle to be made in their deaths so they are effectively ignored.

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phart said:

It was 0 unarmed police officers killed.

Strange point to make. 

edit: too slow for PAIK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Without googling does anyone know how many US police were murdered in 2019. 

In 2019, 49 alleged offenders were identified in connection with the 48 law enforcement officers feloniously killed. Of those offenders, the following characteristics are known:

28 of the alleged offenders were White, 15 were Black/African American, and 1 was Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander. Race was not reported for 5 of the alleged offenders. (See Table 42.)

And of the 48 cops killed...

By race, 40 of the victim officers were White, 7 were Black/African American, and 1 was Asian. (See Table 15.)

That compares to...

The police fatally shot 9 unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database...

My guess is you wont have heard of the unarmed white victims of the police and you certainly wont have heard of the cops themselves killed. No race hustle to be made in their deaths so they are effectively ignored.

You're ability to continually miss the point is unrivalled on here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Bit of a strange thing to point out?

The board's very own Priti Patel right behind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Bit of a strange thing to point out?

Why?

Does police shooting armed civilians not count in this scoring system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Bit of a strange thing to point out?

It was a comparison to unarmed people shot by police. So you harmonise the statistics.

"the police fatally shot 9 unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database..." 0 unarmed police were killed in 2019

It was 1098 people killed by Police in 2019 and 48 police officers were "feloniously" killed. Incidentally 41 police officers were killed by accident.

There are rules in statistics if you don't know them then it might seem strange. If you do it doesn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why?

Does police shooting armed civilians not count in this scoring system?

 

39 minutes ago, phart said:

It was a comparison to unarmed people shot by police. So you harmonise the statistics.

"the police fatally shot 9 unarmed blacks and 19 unarmed whites in 2019, according to a Washington Post database..." 0 unarmed police were killed in 2019

It was 1098 people killed by Police in 2019 and 48 police officers were "feloniously" killed. Incidentally 41 police officers were killed by accident.

There are rules in statistics if you don't know them then it might seem strange. If you do it doesn't.

 

Just the way I read the thread but I see what you’re saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All (US) cops killed in the line of duty are going to armed. Stupid point.

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

All (US) cops killed in the line of duty are going to armed. Stupid point.

Which is why your comparison was fucking absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is like pointing out that 0 cops killed on duty were not wearing their uniform.

Duuuuuh.

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It is like pointing out that 0% of cops killed on duty were not wearing their uniform.

Duuuuuh.

unless they were undercover

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kirk said:

unless they were undercover

The following information concerns law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty in 2019 as a result of felonious incidents. The law enforcement officers included in this report met certain criteria, such as they had full arrest powers and they ordinarily wore/carried a badge and firearm.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2019/topic-pages/officers-feloniously-killed

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting comments from matt le tissier and karl henry. 

Le tissier is reviewing with sky.whether he wants to continue wearing the BLM badge. Henry reckoms the UK needs a new neutral anti racism movement away from BLM

Le tissiet doesnt want to be linked with the far right or far left

 

Edited by vanderark14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Some interesting comments from matt le tissier and karl henry. 

Le tissier is reviewing with sky.whether he wants to continue wearing the BLM badge. Henry reckoms the UK needs a new neutral anti racism movement away from BLM

Le tissiet doesnt want to be linked with the far right or far left

 

If Matt Le Tissier wants to comment on taking free kicks or penalties and being a lazy bastard I'll pay attention to him.  On anything else, nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thplinth said:

The following information concerns law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty in 2019 as a result of felonious incidents. The law enforcement officers included in this report met certain criteria, such as they had full arrest powers and they ordinarily wore/carried a badge and firearm.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2019/topic-pages/officers-feloniously-killed

Twas a joke ya boring bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaid said:

If Matt Le Tissier wants to comment on taking free kicks or penalties and being a lazy bastard I'll pay attention to him.  On anything else, nah.

Aye, he's a climate change denier as well, an absolute moon unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaid said:

If Matt Le Tissier wants to comment on taking free kicks or penalties and being a lazy bastard I'll pay attention to him.  On anything else, nah.

I wasnt expecting you to listen to him. I found it interesting that he was questioning why he has to wear it because he doesnt want to be associated with the far left or far right.

Its surprising to see anyone with a TV career question this.

Edited by vanderark14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mox said:

Aye, he's a climate change denier as well, an absolute moon unit.

I saw him opining on Nicola Sturgeon's approach to COVID as well a couple of weeks back.   Missing Jeff Stelling because of lockdown must be hitting him hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...