Black Lives Matter... in Scotland - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Black Lives Matter... in Scotland

Anyone know what's happening in George Square? Supposedly something called the "National Defence League (NDL)" having a counter protest against "No Evictions" (asylum seekers)?

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/police-george-square-protest-glasgow-18440771

1_Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-184818.png

Seems if you let these people get away with "protecting statues" they'll next be attacking peaceful protestors?

Edited by exile

3 hours ago, exile said:

Anyone know what's happening in George Square? Supposedly something called the "National Defence League (NDL)" having a counter protest against "No Evictions" (asylum seekers)?

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/police-george-square-protest-glasgow-18440771

1_Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-184818.png

Seems if you let these people get away with "protecting statues" they'll next be attacking peaceful protestors?

It was feenyin basturd asylum seekers apparently...

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It was feenyin basturd asylum seekers apparently...

Grown men, those are grown men 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I forget where I read it but it said something like if you want to provoke something into existence create its opposite and someone somewhere will then manifest to oppose it. The entirely predictable consequence of creating an army of left wing thugs is going to be an army of right wing thugs. They go hand in hand and as one increases so will the other.

What I don't understand is why all these demonstrations are being allowed to go ahead just now. As far as I'm aware lockdown has been eased - slightly - but it's not over yet.

That's not to criticise the sentiment of last night's demonstration (or to in any way justify the behaviour of the pond life who attacked the peaceful demonstrators) but we're not out of the woods yet, not by a long chalk.

The left wing thugs are protesting hundreds of years of racial prejudice though, so they're the product of having a racial prejudicial society for century upon century. I'm pretty sure this didn't start in the last couple of years, hence why statues from the 19th century are getting flung in rivers.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

What I don't understand is why all these demonstrations are being allowed to go ahead just now. As far as I'm aware lockdown has been eased - slightly - but it's not over yet.

That's not to criticise the sentiment of last night's demonstration (or to in any way justify the behaviour of the pond life who attacked the peaceful demonstrators) but we're not out of the woods yet, not by a long chalk.

I guess banning all protests and demonstrations - even under current circumstances - is a big political no-no.   All you can do is to appeal to people's better judgement, which in the case of the obsessive activist is pretty much impossible.

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Probably the fear of civil unrest, both sides are much more likely to get rowdy as fuck so the veil would have to come off and violence used to actually stop the protests.

Tucker Carlson set up Daily caller (he sold his stake in it like 2 weeks ago), here's what lawyers representing his current employer said about him yesterday.

Fox News Lawyer Suggests No Reasonable Viewer Would Think Tucker Carlson Is News

An attorney representing Fox News reportedly made an interrogative statement in federal court that directly called into question the news value of the number one host in all of cable news.

“Would a reasonable viewer be coming here and thinking this is where I’m going to be hearing the news of the day? Fox News attorney Erin Murphy asked U.S. District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil during a hearing conducted via telephone on Wednesday, according to Law360 reporter Frank G. Runyeon’s account of what was said."

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/fox-news-lawyer-suggests-no-reasonable-viewer-would-think-tucker-carlson-is-news/

This is one co founder of BLM and 'Alicia' is another. Both 'trained Marxists' in her own words.

Estimates vary but communists killed 65 million people (and not that long ago) and we are supporting this group... ooookaaay.

24 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This is one co founder of BLM and 'Alicia' is another. Both 'trained Marxists' in her own words.

Estimates vary but communists killed 65 million people (and not that long ago) and we are supporting this group... ooookaaay.

Probably funded by rich white men as well. 

Back to Scotland here and now...

Eayw-nQWkAEDPKT?format=jpg&name=large

This letter has been criticised for implying "equivalence of peaceful anti-racist protestors with violent far-right racist thugs"

Edited by exile

Another statement has been more unequivocal:

"Police Scotland has issues a stern warning that it will not tolerate peaceful protests being hijacked by thugs as was seen in George Square on Wednesday."

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18527119.top-cop-gives-clear-warning-george-square-violence-thuggery/

Has been welcomed by likes of both Susan Aitken and Aamer Anwar (who had both critcised the letter above)

Edited by exile

I think the first statement was neutral from the correct Police stance and is able to point directly at the politicians, maybe the media too indirectly. They’re so right though. It was civil disobedience from both sides regards public assembly 

55 minutes ago, exile said:

Back to Scotland here and now...

Eayw-nQWkAEDPKT?format=jpg&name=large

This letter has been criticised for implying "equivalence of peaceful anti-racist protestors with violent far-right racist thugs"

To be fair the letter isn't using it in that context. It's saying there is no mitigating cause to breaking the laws/guidelines for dealing with a pandemic. As opposed to trying to make a comparison between the two camps.