Black Lives Matter... in Scotland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Black Lives Matter... in Scotland

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

How not to defend a monument...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53051096

I'm normally quite proud of my ex-students but I am 99% certain I taught him.  Name, age, location, mentality, all right.  If it is the same person he wasn't very bright, vulnerable to being led astray by others and his claim that he didn't know what he was doing is probably true.  If it is the same guy, nothing said in court or about him, surprises me except one thing. He's described as a Spurs supporter but was best known for wearing a manky Celtic top on non-uniform days (I'm not trying to offend Celtic supporters, it genuinely was a manky top!).  Quite how someone known for wearing a Celtic top (not too many of them in rural Essex) ends up at a right wing rally is beyond me but as I said not very bright.

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

14 days for pishin in the street? Sometimes I think the world has gone fukin mental.

A bit more serious than just pishing in the street, tbh.

A big difference between someone nipping behind a tree and that's regardless of there being a memorial there or not.

I've replied to a few loyalists on twitter, thanking them for their efforts in protecting the statue of Robert Peel, who did so much to prevent discrimination against Catholics and helped to allow them to play a full part in British public life. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

A bit more serious than just pishing in the street, tbh.

A big difference between someone nipping behind a tree and that's regardless of there being a memorial there or not.

I cant believe Im doing this, I feel sickened by it and I know its wrong, but I kinda agree with the absolute boot that is Julia Hartley-Brewer, he didnt pee on it, he peed next to it. Not a massive distinction, but 14 days for that seems a bit OTT IMO, no idea what would have been right though.

30 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I cant believe Im doing this, I feel sickened by it and I know its wrong, but I kinda agree with the absolute boot that is Julia Hartley-Brewer, he didnt pee on it, he peed next to it. Not a massive distinction, but 14 days for that seems a bit OTT IMO, no idea what would have been right though.

I'm assuming that you don't know where that memorial actually is.   It's right by the main entry into the Houses of Parliament.  I'm prepared to bet that anyone having a slash there on a Saturday afternoon would be in serious soapy bubble and that's without all the other mitigating factors.  In normal times you probably wouldn't get close to being able to have a slash because of the police.

Public urination would normally be dealt with summilarily and be subject to a fixed penalty.   He was charged with the much more serious offence of offending public decency which suggests that there might have been more to it, possibly also exposing himself, which if he was as pissed as is being made out wouldn't be hard to imagine.   Then you have the more serious aggravators about the time, place, number of witnesses and the memorial.   With all that you're looking at some form of custodial sentence.

He'll have been given credit for turning himself in and pleading guilty, so two weeks seems sensible, will probably be out by the weekend.   I suspect his biggest problem will be the reaction from his erstwhile colleagues, probably need to watch his back from now on.

22 hours ago, Orraloon said:

14 days for pishin in the street? Sometimes I think the world has gone fukin mental.

A jail term seems a bit off with this one. Possibly to set an example to try and deter others but would have thought some community service style punishment would be more effective? And if this wasn't captured on camera and shared, would any action at all have been taken? 

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Jesus wept.   What else can we get rid of that is "offensive"?

We're often told that "There ain't no black in the yoonion jack," so it's gotta go I'm afraid.

Coco Pops was trending on Twitter for a while yesterday after someone asked why it has a monkey as its mascot (and Rice Krispies has three white boys).

Of course, it might have just been a wind up, but in the current climate... :unsure:

Just now, scotlad said:

Coco Pops was trending on Twitter for a while yesterday after someone asked why it has a monkey as its mascot (and Rice Krispies has three white boys).

Of course, it might have just been a wind up, but in the current climate... :unsure:

Nope it wasn't a wind up but it was from Fiona Onasanyu who was the MP for Peterborough convicted for perjury and subsequently sacked, so that probably needs to be taken into account.

Just now, aaid said:

Nope it wasn't a wind up but it was from Fiona Onasanyu who was the MP for Peterborough convicted for perjury and subsequently sacked, so that probably needs to be taken into account.

Oh... the speeding ticket woman?

22 hours ago, biffer said:

I've replied to a few loyalists on twitter, thanking them for their efforts in protecting the statue of Robert Peel, who did so much to prevent discrimination against Catholics and helped to allow them to play a full part in British public life. 

😂

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

😂 seriously, the world really has gone  mad. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

1 hour ago, aaid said:

She has also accused Frosties pin up Tony the Tiger of being a white supremacist. 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, scotlad said:

Came across this alleged true story on Facebook last week. The world has gone fucking mad. 

19CEE6AB-C098-4A76-B8D6-DDA5944E6C13.jpeg