Bands you never seen ? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bands you never seen ?

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Your lucky mate. She is amazing.. Hopefully one day.. I saw Clannad, and actually met her. Fantastic stuff. Cheers Bonzo..👍

I dont know her but she is a friend of a friend.
If we are introduced I will take a selfie and send you it 🙂

12 hours ago, aaid said:

You also  had to generally go up to box office at the Apollo to get the tickets as well.

A mate of mine reminded me of something a couple of years ago.   He was going up to Glasgow one Saturday - this was about 1980 - and said he'd get the tickets for a gig we were going to later in the year, so we all gave him our three quids or whatever it cost back then.

Unfortunately for him, Genesis had just announced a big tour, so when he got up to the Apollo, there was a massive queue.  After about an hour or so, he got to the front, the guy serving said "stalls, sold out, only upper circle left for Genesis", he said "Fuck that shite, I want six tickets downstairs for Sammy Hagar"

Oh and he was great when it came round as well. 

He was indeed and so were the support band, Riot who'd soon release Fire Down Under, one of THE greatest metal albums ever.  Brilliant show.

Saw AC/DC at the Apollo as well with Bon Scott, apologies to those who wanted to.  :)

Missed - seen UFO loads of times but never with Michael Schenker.  Lynyrd Skynyrd - the real band.  Had plenty of chances to see the tribute act currently touring but no thanks.  Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore.  Iron Maiden.

Motorhead for me. We put it off for ages always saying "we'll go next year" as they seemed to do a UK Tour every autumn. Finally got tickets and they cancelled and Lemmy never made it to the revised date. And I have a horrible feeling that history may repeat itself for Ozzy which has already been postponed twice due to his health and will be surprised if the October Hydro gig goes ahead. Although I did see him with Black Sabbath back in 2013. 

I've been lucky enough to see just about all of the acts that I've loved that have been around while I have.  I suppose the only exception I can think of would be Talking Heads although I did see David Byrne a couple of years ago (and it was amazing!) but I've managed to see the likes of Stones, Bowie, McCartney, Springsteen, Cohen, Wonder, Al Green, James Brown, REM, Stone Roses, James so can't really complain.  If we're talking time machine stuff then I'd have loved to have seen The Doors in LA back in the 60s.

Had a ticket to see At The Drive-In around December 2000 at the Arches but was told on the door it was over 18. Was gutted, would have been my first gig and they were at the their peak then, got to see them in 2016 but 2000 would have been an intense first gig 

Queen and David Bowie would have to be ones, along with Deep Purple.

Never thought I would see the Rolling Stones but managed a couple of years ago so that's off the list now.

Seen the Killers a few times but would love to see them again.

Only ones I wished I'd seen but too late now are Prince and Queen.

Had a chance to see Queen at Ingleston around 1982 but wasn't a huge fan then so declined.

It was only in subsequent years after I started enjoying their music more and seeing what a great live band they were and wished I'd been.

Been lucky enough enough to see my favourite bands of all time (although not all of their later music were amongst my favourites) i.e. Ac/DC , Rolling Stones and U2.

Not necessarily  the best gigs I've seen though.

On 14 June 2020 at 10:12 PM, daviebee said:

He was indeed and so were the support band, Riot who'd soon release Fire Down Under, one of THE greatest metal albums ever.  Brilliant show.

Saw AC/DC at the Apollo as well with Bon Scott, apologies to those who wanted to.  :)

Missed - seen UFO loads of times but never with Michael Schenker.  Lynyrd Skynyrd - the real band.  Had plenty of chances to see the tribute act currently touring but no thanks.  Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore.  Iron Maiden.

Since you're bigging up AC/DC at the Apollo - presumably the gig that was used of If you want blood - I'll give you Iron Maiden there with Paul Di Anno on the Iron Maiden tour. 

2 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Of my favorite bands I think The Cure are probably the only one I have not seen.  Hopefully they will tour again but mad Bob isn’t getting any younger and I worry he might knock it on the head soon.

I daren't tell you how many times I've seen The Cure for fear of upsetting you.

I first saw them in 1992 but they've been on another level for the past 15 years. Outstanding. 

They've been working on a new album. Seemingly they were finalising it when lockdown kicked in.

I would expect it to be out this year.

I would have expected them to tour this autumn had Coronavirus not reared it's head, so I fully expect a tour in 2021.

Edited by Rich NATA

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I daren't tell you how many times I've seen The Cure for fear of upsetting you.

I first saw them in 1992 but they've been on another level for the past 15 years. Outstanding. 

They've been working on a new album. Seemingly they were finalising it when lockdown kicked in.

I would expect it to be out this year.

I would have expected them to tour this autumn had Coronavirus not reared it's head, so I fully expect a tour in 2021.

Rich, thanks, good to hear. Will be first in line for tickets if they make it to the US.  I really only have myself to blame for not seeing them sooner.

Ironically, my sister who dislikes The Cure and has the worst taste in crap pop music, has seen them live before.

A long time ago, in another lifetime, my mates elder brother got us in to see the Clash doing their sound check for a gig in the Barowland. We didn't have tickets for the gig but the idea was we'd hang about till it got underway. It was all going well and we saw most of the sound check before security rumbled us and fecked us oot 😒

Edited by slasher

11 hours ago, aaid said:

Since you're bigging up AC/DC at the Apollo - presumably the gig that was used of If you want blood - I'll give you Iron Maiden there with Paul Di Anno on the Iron Maiden tour. 

My first ever proper gig was Iron Maiden (with DiAnno) at Huddersfield Poly, Feb 1980. I saw a 1-1 draw away at Port Vale the day after & thought this was how life was going to be. Gigs & football 😄

Seen a fair few bands in my young age in Scotland so far; quite a few at festivals and travelled to Paris to see the Red Hot Chillis and the Rolling Stones in Stockholm.

Have always wanted to see Skunk Anansie, Kate Bush, Massive Attack.   Had the opportunity to go to see The Eagles and Billy Idol in the last few years; sacked off Billy Idol to go see us play Slovenia at home.

12 minutes ago, Debian said:

Seen a fair few bands in my young age in Scotland so far; quite a few at festivals and travelled to Paris to see the Red Hot Chillis and the Rolling Stones in Stockholm.

Have always wanted to see Skunk Anansie, Kate Bush, Massive Attack.   Had the opportunity to go to see The Eagles and Billy Idol in the last few years; sacked off Billy Idol to go see us play Slovenia at home.

Mate of mine used to do a bit of ticket touting for gigs back in the day 😡. The most money he ever made was off 10 tickets for an Eagles gig. 

18 hours ago, aaid said:

Nah - Highway to Hell tour '79.  Wasn't old enough to go to the earlier one.  Surprised you weren't there if you were into that sort of music.

Maiden must still have been a support band when their first album came out though surely? They were playing a wee venue in Dundee around that time and that'd be a hell of a jump to headlining the Apollo.

22 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Nah - Highway to Hell tour '79.  Wasn't old enough to go to the earlier one.  Surprised you weren't there if you were into that sort of music.

Maiden must still have been a support band when their first album came out though surely? They were playing a wee venue in Dundee around that time and that'd be a hell of a jump to headlining the Apollo.

It would've been this gig from June 1980 with Praying Mantis as support, probably around the time the whole NWOBHM thing took of, as I also saw Def Leppard play at the Ayr Pavillion in January 1980 in front of about 100 people.  It was more of a phase for me and a lot of it I find pretty unlistenable these days.

I've a mate who is a big Iron Maiden fan and is about 10 years younger than me who gets very irritated when I point out I've seen Iron Maiden once and Paul DiAnno was the singer and he's seen them dozens of times and hasn't.   I'm pretty sure I also saw Bruce Dickinson around the same time in the band he was in before Iron Maiden (Samson?) supporting someone but can't remember anything about them.   I enjoyed it at the time but looking back I saw some right old shite.  That first Iron Maiden album is still pretty good though, dug it out about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised.

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=9&action=show&band_ID=24

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'm pretty sure I also saw Bruce Dickinson around the same time in the band he was in before Iron Maiden (Samson?) supporting someone but can't remember anything about them.   I enjoyed it at the time but looking back I saw some right old shite.  That first Iron Maiden album is still pretty good though, dug it out about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised.

Aye Dickinson was in Samson, I think he went by the name Bruce Bruce at the time.

Agreed, Iron Maiden's debut is definitely their best IMO.