Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bonzo

Bands you never seen ?

Recommended Posts

Wee question, what is the band you missed out on seeing ? This can be in or out your lifetime. 

For me missed the Small faces and the Love Affair  due to being to young. But going through some auld albums tonight, l quite regret not seeing the Redskins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Wee question, what is the band you missed out on seeing ? This can be in or out your lifetime. 

For me missed the Small faces and the Love Affair  due to being to young. But going through some auld albums tonight, l quite regret not seeing the Redskins.

Capercaillie,  my favorite band. They were supposed to play here in Ottawa years ago but the tour got cancelled..I was gutted.. Also, George Micheal played Montreal a few year ago, I did not even know he was playing or I would defo have gone as I love his music.. I did see him live in 1988 though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Ramy, I've seen Karen Mathison a couple of times but never Caipercaille (spelling).maybe wan day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Wee question, what is the band you missed out on seeing ? This can be in or out your lifetime. 

For me missed the Small faces and the Love Affair  due to being to young. But going through some auld albums tonight, l quite regret not seeing the Redskins.

A coup,e of mates of mine are in a Small Faces tribute band called Small Fakers.   I'm not a massive fan of the Small Faces TBH, I can take or leave them.   I've seen Small Fakers loads of times though and they are excellent, people who would know better than me, ie, people involved with Samll Faces back in the day, say they're as close to the real thing as you can get.   They've played a couple of gigs with Kenney Jones sitting in on drums which must say something.   They usually play in Scotland at least once or twice a year, they always say Glasgow in particular is a great gig for them.   If you get the chance I'd go and see them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Acdc

The only band i really wanted to see but never did

Acdc played at Armadale Community Centre.  Never seen them but a couple of friends are fanatics and go all over the world to see them.  They are now the main sponsors of Lithgae Rose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few specific gigs I'd have liked to have been at...Bob Marley in Brixton, Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, etc. The Sex Pistols played their last ever UK gigs on Xmas Day 1977 (one of them a fundraiser for striking firemen, unemployed & single parents to buy Xmas presents) in Huddersfield. From people I talk to it sounds like I was the only person in the town who wasn't there, which is a shame.

Bands more generally though, definitely (maybe) Oasis. Their best years coincided with me bringing up kids so gigs were a non-starter but I'd loved to have seen them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

There's a few specific gigs I'd have liked to have been at...Bob Marley in Brixton, Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, etc. The Sex Pistols played their last ever UK gigs on Xmas Day 1977 (one of them a fundraiser for striking firemen, unemployed & single parents to buy Xmas presents) in Huddersfield. From people I talk to it sounds like I was the only person in the town who wasn't there, which is a shame.

Bands more generally though, definitely (maybe) Oasis. Their best years coincided with me bringing up kids so gigs were a non-starter but I'd loved to have seen them.

I've seen the film of that Huddersfield gig and it's absolutely brilliant.  The Pistols looked like they had a great time, probably one of the few gigs they really enjoyed.

I saw Oasis once, at Murrayfield, maybe around 98 or 99.  They were excellent but the crowd looked like every scheme in Scotland had emptied of neds for the night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either of Cris Cornell's Soundgarden or Audioslave.   Deid   :-(

Was going to see Motörhead, but Lemmy got sick and cancelled.   He never made it back to Glasgow   😞

Back in the mid-70s school pals and I failed to get tickets for Thin Lizzy.   Outside Glasgow you never knew when tickets went on sale, so we missed the boat    😞

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

There's a few specific gigs I'd have liked to have been at...Bob Marley in Brixton, Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, etc. The Sex Pistols played their last ever UK gigs on Xmas Day 1977 (one of them a fundraiser for striking firemen, unemployed & single parents to buy Xmas presents) in Huddersfield. From people I talk to it sounds like I was the only person in the town who wasn't there, which is a shame.

Bands more generally though, definitely (maybe) Oasis. Their best years coincided with me bringing up kids so gigs were a non-starter but I'd loved to have seen them.

I was maybe about 3 or so years too young to tell my mother not to bother with Xmas dinner as I was off to a gig. I remember they did one of their legendary TV interviews though a few days before for the local news - they were a bit better prepared than Bill Grundy but at the time I remember thinking it was one of the funniest things I'd seen (while listening to my mother, not averse to a fair amount of cursing herself, telling me they were disgusting).

From memory I think it was Harry Gration - "Is it true that you encourage the audience to jump on stage & attack you?"

JR: "Yes, we call it audience participation, don't we Sidney."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Either of Cris Cornell's Soundgarden or Audioslave.   Deid   :-(

Was going to see Motörhead, but Lemmy got sick and cancelled.   He never made it back to Glasgow   😞

Back in the mid-70s school pals and I failed to get tickets for Thin Lizzy.   Outside Glasgow you never knew when tickets went on sale, so we missed the boat    😞

 

You also  had to generally go up to box office at the Apollo to get the tickets as well.

A mate of mine reminded me of something a couple of years ago.   He was going up to Glasgow one Saturday - this was about 1980 - and said he'd get the tickets for a gig we were going to later in the year, so we all gave him our three quids or whatever it cost back then.

Unfortunately for him, Genesis had just announced a big tour, so when he got up to the Apollo, there was a massive queue.  After about an hour or so, he got to the front, the guy serving said "stalls, sold out, only upper circle left for Genesis", he said "Fuck that shite, I want six tickets downstairs for Sammy Hagar"

Oh and he was great when it came round as well. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Acdc

The only band i really wanted to see but never did

Would've loved to have seen them with Bon Scott.  Had several chances to see the later incarnation but wasn't as keen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many because I wasn't born or too young. The Beatles obviously,  The Who with Keith Moon, Led Zep, Pink Floyd circa Pompeii, Bowie's Ziggy tour, Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny, Genesis with Peter Gabriel etc.

XTC quit touring just as I was starting to go to gigs. Hüsker Dü and The Replacements who I both got into just as they split up. I had a ticket to see Nirvana at Edinburgh Calton Studios but decided to go on a night out in Glasgow instead. The original REM too, I had a ticket to see them at the SECC but it was cancelled due to Bill Berry's aneurysm :(

 

Edited by Toepoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jam in the late 70's/early 80's. I was at their last concert in Glasgow (1982) but was 15/16 years old and UTI and can't remember a thing about the concert but have vague memories of certain other things that went on that night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jam are another good shout. Was just a couple of years too young.

Another I passed up on was The Smiths at the Magnum in Irvine. A few mates went but I wasn't into them at time, a decision I came to regret not long afterwards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would probably have gone to see Nirvana on their next tour, had Kurt Kobain not died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aaid said:

A coup,e of mates of mine are in a Small Faces tribute band called Small Fakers.   I'm not a massive fan of the Small Faces TBH, I can take or leave them.   I've seen Small Fakers loads of times though and they are excellent, people who would know better than me, ie, people involved with Samll Faces back in the day, say they're as close to the real thing as you can get.   They've played a couple of gigs with Kenney Jones sitting in on drums which must say something.   They usually play in Scotland at least once or twice a year, they always say Glasgow in particular is a great gig for them.   If you get the chance I'd go and see them.  

Aye,  I've seen them a  good few times in Glasgow (classic grand). We were supposed to go and see them last month in Troon but with all that is going on it got cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The Jam are another good shout. Was just a couple of years too young.

Another I passed up on was The Smiths at the Magnum in Irvine. A few mates went but I wasn't into them at time, a decision I came to regret not long afterwards.

 

Seen The Jam 4 times the Magnum being the first, what kicking I got that night😄Also had a ticket for the Smiths but sold it :banghead:. The Magnum was a great venue in the 80s seen so many great bands there.

 

42 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

The Jam in the late 70's/early 80's. I was at their last concert in Glasgow (1982) but was 15/16 years old and UTI and can't remember a thing about the concert but have vague memories of certain other things that went on that night.

 

22 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Aye,  I've seen them a  good few times in Glasgow (classic grand). We were supposed to go and see them last month in Troon but with all that is going on it got cancelled. 

Good stuff - I noticed they were supposed to be playing Troon.   Daniel was pretty amused when I told him about the history of the Classic Grand and the sort of films that used to be on show there.   

Matt is one of the nicest guys you'll ever hope to meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jam would be the one I would’ve loved to see, seen Weller plenty times and From The Jam with Bruce Foxton, but would give my right arm to see them together. 
 

Also had tickets for Michael Jackson in London, but that obviously never happened either, I’m not particularly a huge fan, but it was more just to say I’d seen him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

The Jam would be the one I would’ve loved to see, seen Weller plenty times and From The Jam with Bruce Foxton, but would give my right arm to see them together. 
 

Me and the Mrs came up to Aberdeen to see From the Jam on their first tour (2007)I think?when Rick Buckler was drumming. It was at the lemon tree. Seen them a few times since, definitely a tribute band now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the  Velvet Underground,  I think they played Edinburgh at least, in a revival tour in the 1990s.

That and the Nirvana example are ones I could realistically have done at the time if I'd got my act together, as opposed to cases involving time travel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the deceased/disbanded list probably The Beatles and Frank Sinatra. Of those still alive Billy Joel. I do not like huge stadium gigs though so I doubt I will ever see him. 

When I was young I would have killed to see The Osmonds and Bay City Rollers.. Not so much these days... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bonzo said:

Cheers Ramy, I've seen Karen Mathison a couple of times but never Caipercaille (spelling).maybe wan day.

Your lucky mate. She is amazing.. Hopefully one day.. I saw Clannad, and actually met her. Fantastic stuff. Cheers Bonzo..👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowie.

I live in Southampton and the only real chance I ever had was when it was announced he was headlining the Isle of Wight festival a few years back. Thought, I must go to that... and promptly forgot.

I work in shipping. Fast forward and I'm on my way home having boarded a ship in in the early hours. I'm driving home past the ferry terminal at 3am and there's crowds of people streaming out of the ferry terminal in Bowie T-shirts. Only then I remembered.

 

Kate Bush.

You remember she did that run of about 25 shows  at Hammersmith Apollo a few years back?

Can't remember where I got the info from, but I somehow heard about those gigs about 9 months before they were actually announced and I thought, 'that isn't gonna happen; she hasn't performed live since '78 or something; why would she do it now?'

If only I had signed up on her website when I had heard the rumour; then I'd have been sorted.

When the shows were actually announced, the tickets were snapped up in minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...