Home advantage. Is it really now?? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Home advantage. Is it really now??

Big Ramy 1314

Been thinking about this last few days. So we play Israel at Hampden, probably behind closed doors, but we should beat them as we are a better side and we defeated them in the group.. So I dont think home advantage really matters in this match. Now, in saying that, if we get by Israel, which we should, we either play in Norway or Serbia. So if it is befung closes doors, no fans, does that not benefit us? I mean, both Norway or Serbia with their support, full crowd, is a big task for Scotland, I just think if it's a one off, no home support in the ground, really helps us.. Thoughts....

I sure hope this is the ruling, but if the play offs start behind closed doors, they need to finish behind closed doors. Other than no travel and home comforts, playing behind closed doors seems more neutral to me. 

I agree. I was watching the german Bundesliga, and to be honest, you would not know who the home side was. I think it defo benefits Scotland "if" it is behind closed doors.. I agree with your statement, if it starts BCD, it should end BCD... 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Behind closed doors away to Norway/Serbia is undeniably an advantage to us. Still doesn't mean we have the overall advantage though.

I know what you mean, still better for us not having 40, 50 thousand Serbs or Norwegians screaming at you..  Its amazing when you watch a professional  football game with no fans how different it is.. 

I've never really bought the home advantage thing - in most cases; especially in this era of sanitised stadia.

You often hear of club sides (often my team as it happens) going weeks or even months without a home win, whilst regularly winning away.

If you are playing away at certain places (Red Star, Galatasaray and Boca spring to mind) I accept the home crowd will affect the away team.

I saw Red Star play at home against a provincial team and the stadium was only two thirds full, but the noise was absolutely incredible. The decibels must be off the scale against Partizan.

Off the top of my head, the last place I thought the home fans had an impact on a Scotland match was in Kazakhstan. Not the biggest crowd ever, but with the roof being closed, the noise created every time they counter attacked, was colossal.

With or without a crowd; I don't think anyone fears Hampden.  

Hampden used to be a fortress

We could beat anyone there

It was more to do with an aura playing against Scotland at Hampden that had teams lacking belief 

In fairness we had some right good players along with average ones

That aura is long gone and nobody really fears coming to Hampden now

England still have it at Wembley

Partizan played Red Star the other night in front of a capacity crowd (at Partizan's), so they'll most definitely be able to take a full crows in October. I reckon Norway won't be far off it too. But are you saying that if we aren't able to then they probably won't be either?

31 minutes ago, Frugal said:

Partizan played Red Star the other night in front of a capacity crowd (at Partizan's), so they'll most definitely be able to take a full crows in October. I reckon Norway won't be far off it too. But are you saying that if we aren't able to then they probably won't be either?

I think that decision is up to UEFA, but  lI'm sure Serbia would most definitely want a crowd IF they got through as you have said they had a full crowd the other night for the league fixture. I dunno..

31 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I think that decision is up to UEFA, but  lI'm sure Serbia would most definitely want a crowd IF they got through as you have said they had a full crowd the other night for the league fixture. I dunno..

Ah yeah. I just wonder how much they'll base it on current practice, in the relevant country. I can't see it being closed doors by then, in any event. I reckon 50% is probably about the best we can hope for unfortunately...

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

When are the next games, next year sometime?

To the best of my knowledge, UEFA have not yet confirmed anything with regard to the autumn international matches.

Hopefully we'll get to play the matches we're scheduled to play in September, October and November.

Fingers crossed, but it would be sods law they play all 6 matches behind closed doors.