Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Thanks, was Cardwell Bay busy.

No, it was really quiet. Didnt get there till 2.30 and it closed at 4pm. It was like supermarket sweep,  I was grabbing all sorts of shit such was my excitement at spending money.

Apart from weekly visits to Morrisons,  and 2 runs a week on the cycle track, its the first time I have been beyond the end of my street since mid March. 
They have it set up well , even if it had been busy they would have adhered to the social distancing rules. 
The road to Loch Thom was like the M8 right enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mrs Laird wants to take a trip down with her mum. I will let her know that it wasn't that busy. I maybe having a mid life crisis but gardening isn't part of it. Glad you enjoyed your day out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, beardy said:

I'm about to buy an expensive guitar that is way beyond my ability. That's my mid life crisis.

Oh and I bought a Focus RS two years ago.

There must be some weird mid life virus going about. 

I have two guitars that are way beyond my ability and two that are just beyond my ability (so far!). I love them. I could easily collect them ( I suppose I already am). I have not even started on electric ones yet but it is coming. That is going to be stupid as well.

And bizarrely I was very tempted by a Focus RS as well when it came out. Always liked driving Fords and that thing looked like a wee cracker. But I would have only been using it for a Tesco run (at extreme speed obviously). How is / was it? Was a bit gutted I never did after I saw it was only about for a year or two. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thplinth said:

There must be some weird mid life virus going about. 

I have two guitars that are way beyond my ability and two that are just beyond my ability (so far!). I love them. I could easily collect them ( I suppose I already am). I have not even started on electric ones yet but it is coming. That is going to be stupid as well.

And bizarrely I was very tempted by a Focus RS as well when it came out. Always liked driving Fords and that thing looked like a wee cracker. But I would have only been using it for a Tesco run (at extreme speed obviously). How is / was it? Was a bit gutted I never did after I saw it was only about for a year or two. 

 

I watch the YouTube videos from Siccas and GSI and I see the lovely wood cabinets with guitars and I think that is what I would waste my money on. Sadly that won't be me.

I had a shot of my teachers guitar which cost 10,000 dollars when she bought it 20 years ago, it was incredible. What was interesting was the stuff I played well sounded great however my sloppy play sounded way way worse. 

You should have bought the RS, pound for pound the best car of the last decade. A bag full of fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 4:17 AM, beardy said:

I'm about to buy an expensive guitar that is way beyond my ability. That's my mid life crisis.

Oh and I bought a Focus RS two years ago.

Beardy, if you want it mate, and it is within your means, and you have no regrets then buy it.. I am a Bagpiper. Back in 2002, I played Ground Zero, and Carnagie Hall,  in New York City with my Pipe band. I borrowed a set of Pipes from an older lad in my band because my Pipes were acting up, and there was no room for error. Long story short, I fell in love with the Pipes I played in New York. The lad was willing to sell them to me, I could not afford them, but I bought them anyway. They are 160 years old, silver mounts, very rare. To this day I thank the lord I bought them. I struggled to pay off the loan I took to buy them, but there is never, ever a day that goes by that I regret it...  If it is your passion , you cannot put a price on it. Hope you make the right choice either way pal..  Good luck.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Beardy, if you want it mate, and it is within your means, and you have no regrets then buy it.. I am a Bagpiper. Back in 2002, I played Ground Zero, and Carnagie Hall,  in New York City with my Pipe band. I borrowed a set of Pipes from an older lad in my band because my Pipes were acting up, and there was no room for error. Long story short, I fell in love with the Pipes I played in New York. The lad was willing to sell them to me, I could not afford them, but I bought them anyway. They are 160 years old, silver mounts, very rare. To this day I thank the lord I bought them. I struggled to pay off the loan I took to buy them, but there is never, ever a day that goes by that I regret it...  If it is your passion , you cannot put a price on it. Hope you make the right choice either way pal..  Good luck.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

How much were they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, WCTA said:

How much were they?

An arm and a leg. due to sharks....

On a serious point, I cant play any instrument, learning to play the pipes looks like a hell of an achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kumnio said:

An arm and a leg. due to sharks....

On a serious point, I cant play any instrument, learning to play the pipes looks like a hell of an achievement.

Ramy keeps impressing me. As you say, the pipes won’t be easy. To perform in Carnegie Hall too. Cap doffed Ramy. 👍😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WCTA said:

How much were they?

The equivalent of £4000.00, 20 year ago.. David Glens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WCTA said:

Ramy keeps impressing me. As you say, the pipes won’t be easy. To perform in Carnegie Hall too. Cap doffed Ramy. 👍😊

Carnagie Hall was sold out, and we got a 10 minute standing ovation at the end of our performance. One of the greatest nights in my life mate..  Cheers pal..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Carnagie Hall was sold out, and we got a 10 minute standing ovation at the end of our performance. One of the greatest nights in my life mate..  Cheers pal..

I just can’t believe they let you on stage with a Celtic top on.......

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I just can’t believe they let you on stage with a Celtic top on.......

🤣🤣🤣.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

The equivalent of £4000.00, 20 year ago.. David Glens

So have they gone up in value over the years? Just nosey. 

Edited by bonzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bonzo said:

So have they gone up in value over the years? Just nosey. 

You really think he’ll answer that with the risk of his wife peeking over his shoulder 😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You really think he’ll answer that with the risk of his wife peeking over his shoulder 😂😂

Just as well there's a k in peeking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bonzo said:

So have they gone up in value over the years? Just nosey. 

Yes they have. I have been offered up to £7000.00  They are very rare. I will never sell them mate. Just wish my boys would learn the Bagpipes but they have no interest.. Would love to pass them on to one of my boys, but they would probably sell them for a new Nintendo the stupid wee arses..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Yes they have. I have been offered up to £7000.00  They are very rare. I will never sell them mate. Just wish my boys would learn the Bagpipes but they have no interest.. Would love to pass them on to one of my boys, but they would probably sell them for a new Nintendo the stupid wee arses..

👍 you never know they might get a taste for them later in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Yes they have. I have been offered up to £7000.00  They are very rare. I will never sell them mate. Just wish my boys would learn the Bagpipes but they have no interest.. Would love to pass them on to one of my boys, but they would probably sell them for a new Nintendo the stupid wee arses..

Been having a look about various auction sites and can't find a set of David Glen bagpipes for sale anywhere, must be really rare. Would maybe get them insured.

Just came across a part/damaged set on Ebay not silver mounted and they went for £1500.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bonzo said:

👍 you never know they might get a taste for them later in life.

I hope so mate. My oldest is learning guitar, which is fine with me. My wee man likes the fiddle, so there is hope.. They do not like the Pipes though, I'll keep at them..😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Been having a look about various auction sites and can't find a set of David Glen bagpipes for sale anywhere, must be really rare. Would maybe get them insured.

They are mate. I am a very lucky man to have them, and they sound great. Deep in the bass drone, smooth as silk in the tenor drones.. When I play at any Highland games, its always the older Pipers that ask me what they are, and where I got them.. They are my pride and joy..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, beardy said:

I watch the YouTube videos from Siccas and GSI and I see the lovely wood cabinets with guitars and I think that is what I would waste my money on. Sadly that won't be me.

I had a shot of my teachers guitar which cost 10,000 dollars when she bought it 20 years ago, it was incredible. What was interesting was the stuff I played well sounded great however my sloppy play sounded way way worse. 

You should have bought the RS, pound for pound the best car of the last decade. A bag full of fun.  

I think a not rubbish guitar makes you practice more. My current favourite is the wee parlour sized one and it sounds amazing even if it is a bit small for a ham fisted amateur like me.

God damnit on that bloody motor! I missed the boat on that one and the mark one Fiesta ST which was an absolute belter as well (and cheap as chips for what you got).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 10:37 AM, kumnio said:

An arm and a leg. due to sharks....

On a serious point, I cant play any instrument, learning to play the pipes looks like a hell of an achievement.

It was not easy. Thing with the Bagpipes is patience, and you need to work hard. I did not even know how to read sheet music, which is a must. You need to be dedicated. I practised every day on the chanter for years. Same with the Pipes, although I played at the local church as my neighbors went Tonto when I played at home.. I loved the Bagpipes, that's why I learned. It is a beautiful sound and of course, it makes my blood boil when I play..  Brings me home everytime I play them. Sometimes I just walk down by the river, start playing them and imagine I'm in Scotland.. I know it sounds silly, but that's how it feels for me anyway..Alba Gu Brath..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...