Mid life crisis or impulsive? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mid life crisis or impulsive?

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Would love to do that. Not being a strong swimmer puts me off.

You dont need to be a strong swimmer if you start at a basic level. That one I was on was a team building event with my work somewhere in Perth.

Our raft had stayed upright through the entire course and right at the end someone from another raft tipped us over. I nearly died.
Before you get in the raft they tell you not to let go of your paddle even if you fall in, that you must keep hold of it.

Wtf, are they having a laugh. Does it look like my paddle is the number one priority for me.   I ended up clinging to a rock for dear life. But there are loads of guards about in case someone got into trouble. It was good fun.

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You dont need to be a strong swimmer if you start at a basic level. That one I was on was a team building event with my work somewhere in Perth.

Our raft had stayed upright through the entire course and right at the end someone from another raft tipped us over. I nearly died.
Before you get in the raft they tell you not to let go of your paddle even if you fall in, that you must keep hold of it.

Wtf, are they having a laugh. Does it look like my paddle is the number one priority for me.   I ended up clinging to a rock for dear life. But there are loads of guards about in case someone got into trouble. It was good fun.

It will have been Aberfeldy you were at on the Tay. Well, Grandtully to be exact. I used to work a lot in that area where the rafting centre was. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That’s why any of the US hikes scare the shit out of me, the thought of coming across bears and mountain lions etc. 

I was once contemplating emigrating to the US.   I was into hillwalking, but saw a program about folk getting mauled by bears.   I'm still in Scotland.

Then I went white water rafting.   The build up - the safety talk stuff was intense.   One person said stop the bus, and just got out the boat and left.   That was on a very still quiet lake while getting talked at about what happens when you got sucked down, or trapped under a log and so on.   I nearly joined them... I hate Disneyworld ffs.   The ride down the 'rapids' was great but wanted more in the end - felt a bit tame, so wanted more.   Ocht, we had to splash about a bit to get properly wet.

So I bought a yellow car instead.   Gorgeous wee thing.

image.thumb.jpeg.343259090a22bb7b6bf35b7e24c8b521.jpeg

2 hours ago, WCTA said:

I love that feeling. I looked at hiking and camping in Glacier National Park this year before the Covid fucked it. It’s the only national park with it’s own Amtrak train station so I could just lump my gear on the train. 

been to Glacier a few times ; easy enough drive from Calgary ; and shares the area with the smaller Waterton national park over the border (we've caught the lake ferry before to cross the border)

on the theme of the white water rafting we did a family trip think it was the flathead ; guide told us was where meryl streep/kevin bacon did their thing in "river runs thru it" , was my 3rd white water trip ever , after Queensland (by far best as roasting day and boat full of guys who wanted to get wet...), and Kicking Horse in BC - in wet suit...... not so great - tbh no real pull to do it again

i like Glacier as has bit of old world feel to it ; okay there are always tacky gift shops anywhere you go now

also we did Yellowstone & Teton (which i preferred) we always tent it , as kids were used to it from toddler stage - saves loads of money ( ie Jackson WY was $300 min for crap motel) we had done around 10 days camping and looking to re-charge ; ended up driving north into Montana

highlight of trip for me though was Little Big Horn - found it fascinating , rest of the crew not so much ......

thing that sticks out in my mind , was park ranger giving us a talk on the battle etc - in view of the 'last stand' cemetery - and some womans mobile constantly going off - finally sloped off

I want to go to the Azores for hiking and whale watching.

I've been on a diet since last August which is probably the most transformative thing i've done in 15 years. Nothing exciting really..

EDIT: oh i shaved my chest last week so i could get cream onto my skin better then got some sort of razor rash so i bought a loofa sponge and honey sugar and cinnamon body scrub to try and sort it.

I'm living dangerously.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

I was once contemplating emigrating to the US.   I was into hillwalking, but saw a program about folk getting mauled by bears.   I'm still in Scotland.

Then I went white water rafting.   The build up - the safety talk stuff was intense.   One person said stop the bus, and just got out the boat and left.   That was on a very still quiet lake while getting talked at about what happens when you got sucked down, or trapped under a log and so on.   I nearly joined them... I hate Disneyworld ffs.   The ride down the 'rapids' was great but wanted more in the end - felt a bit tame, so wanted more.   Ocht, we had to splash about a bit to get properly wet.

So I bought a yellow car instead.   Gorgeous wee thing.

image.thumb.jpeg.343259090a22bb7b6bf35b7e24c8b521.jpeg

You're in the right place 👍fuck the good auld US of a 🖕

8 minutes ago, phart said:

I've been on a diet since last August which is probably the most transformative thing i've done in 15 years. Nothing exciting really..

EDIT: oh i shaved my chest last week so i could get cream onto my skin better then got some sort of razor rash so i bought a loofa sponge and honey sugar and cinnamon body scrub to try and sort it.

I'm living dangerously.

Mods....ffs

27 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm living dangerously.

Male grooming thread surely ya big woofter? 😄

10 hours ago, phart said:

I needed to put cream on my chest and my rug was sooking it all up. The itching and soreness has put me off it 😂

😂 Are you shaving your chest with the same blade as your face ? Have you tried waxing ? 

I once joined a messageboard where I was picked on, and made fun of. Folk would message each other an try and bully me.  Now I am an inspiration to others and the same folk that bullied me are now sending me friend requests on Facebook. Believe in yourself pal, and do what makes you happy...

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I once joined a messageboard where I was picked on, and made fun of. Folk would message each other an try and bully me.  Now I am an inspiration to others and the same folk that bullied me are now sending me friend requests on Facebook. Believe in yourself pal, and do what makes you happy...

Yeh, life's to short to not try and do stuff that makes you happy.👍

20 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Did Dandydunn send you FB friend requests? 😄

30 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

😂😂