Mid life crisis or impulsive? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mid life crisis or impulsive?

I signed up for a charity parachute jump when I was in my mid-40s. I just came home & said I’d done it, never asked anyone & right up to the day folk were trying to talk me out of doing it. The way I saw it, it was cheaper than a sports car & less scary than riding a motorbike!

13 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I signed up for a charity parachute jump when I was in my mid-40s. I just came home & said I’d done it, never asked anyone & right up to the day folk were trying to talk me out of doing it. The way I saw it, it was cheaper than a sports car & less scary than riding a motorbike!

Brave man.

Which royal alloy, the lammy looking one?

I'm in my mid 50s always had a scooter, well since I was 18. Haven't done much in the way of rallies in the past dozen years but it's my comfort blanket l just need to know it's there 😄. Incidenally It's a vespa gts I have. Oh and tell the weans they'll be your age soon enough and they too will want to rediscover their youth.

33 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Brave man.

I won’t lie, I was absolutely bricking it in the way up but honest to God, I’d recommend it to anyone. One of the biggest highs I can remember after I landed (& I was strapped to a Para as well which helped). 

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Just wondering if anybody has done something that others see as a mid life crisis or maybe impulsive or even regret? I'm in my early 50's and just bought a Royal Alloy scooter. My son and daughter in law have been giving me a hard time. 

Not bothered about the inheritance. Nope. No way. That’s not it.

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Just wondering if anybody has done something that others see as a mod life crisis or maybe impulsive or even regret? I'm in my early 50's and just bought a Royal Alloy scooter. My son and daughter in law have been giving me a hard time. 

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

I'm in my mid 50s always had a scooter, well since I was 18. Haven't done much in the way of rallies in the past dozen years but it's my comfort blanket l just need to know it's there 😄. Incidenally It's a vespa gts I have. Oh and tell the weans they'll be your age soon enough and they too will want to rediscover their youth.

I was thinking about it and I've fixed your opening post. Forgot to mention my mid life crisis was probably tattoos, never had any until my 40s .

7 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I was thinking about it and I've fixed your opening post. Forgot to mention my mid life crisis was probably tattoos, never had any until my 40s .

Good call. We must be going through the same thing. 1 tatt. when I was younger another 5 in my 40's and 50's. God I might need to get a grip and grow up.

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Yes. will post a picture.

I want to go white water rafting. I don't consider it a mid life crisis, its just something I've always fancied and like all of us I'm running out of time. I did do a canoe down the Saugeen in Canada but it was too tame as the water level was down. 

22 minutes ago, bonzo said:

10 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Good call. We must be going through the same thing. 1 tatt. when I was younger another 5 in my 40's and 50's. God I might need to get a grip and grow up.

Yes. will post a picture.

Its strange how the of image tattoos have changed  over the years. When I was young it was just sailors , armed forces and gangster type folk that had tattoos,  and they had a bit of a bad image. Infact when Mr Tidy went for an interview for the job he is in now , which was just over 2O years ago,  they would not consider anyone who had a large tattoo on their forearm. He fixes cars ! 
These days everyone has them. Thats not a bad mid life crisis.
I might get T A M B  across  my 4 fingers 😁

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

I want to go white water rafting. I don't consider it a mid life crisis, its just something I've always fancied and like all of us I'm running out of time. I did do a canoe down the Saugeen in Canada but it was too tame as the water level was down. 

Would love to do that. Not being a strong swimmer puts me off.

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Its strange how the of image tattoos have changed  over the years. When I was young it was just sailors , armed forces and gangster type folk that had tattoos,  and they had a bit of a bad image. Infact when Mr Tidy went for an interview for the job he is in now , which was just over 2O years ago,  they would not consider anyone who had a large tattoo on their forearm. He fixes cars ! 
These days everyone has them. Thats not a bad mid life crisis.
I might get T A M B  across  my 4 fingers 😁

Mines are all Scotland themed. Not noticeable with a long sleeve jumper/shirt on.

Mine are all Scottish themed as well and all easily hidden, legs, chest, back, upper arms and inner fore arms.

Another thing about mid life is I now have to take an anticoagulant so I can't get any more tattoos 😭

36 minutes ago, slasher said:

Went white water rafting in New Zealand in March. Absolutely brilliant.

59 minutes ago, slasher said:

Guess what one is me. 670C97F6-33A7-4872-BEB7-7A3425AA907B.jpeg.565aca2a68c64702d93916eab65a2d95.jpeg

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Did white water rafting in Queenstown, NZ, went myself and ended up on the same raft as a Scottish guy and his kids. Was some laugh. Really earned that pint (or 10) that night. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I’ve done a 3 day canoeing and camping trip in North Wisconsin a couple of times before with half a dozen others. Loved it. Load the canoe with the tent and cool boxes full of food and drink. The feeling of sleeping at night in wolf and bear territory is brilliant. 🐺🐻

7 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I’ve done a 3 day canoeing and camping trip in North Wisconsin a couple of times before with half a dozen others. Loved it. Load the canoe with the tent and cool boxes full of food and drink. The feeling of sleeping at night in wolf and bear territory is brilliant. 🐺🐻

That’s why any of the US hikes scare the shit out of me, the thought of coming across bears and mountain lions etc. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

That’s why any of the US hikes scare the shit out of me, the thought of coming across bears and mountain lions etc. 

I love that feeling. I looked at hiking and camping in Glacier National Park this year before the Covid fucked it. It’s the only national park with it’s own Amtrak train station so I could just lump my gear on the train.