Euro 92 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 92

scottincarlisle

38 minutes ago, JECK said:

Again, another great performance you would have to say. And even more chances created. A surprising amount of chances really, how we never scored at least once over the 2 games was just unbelievable.I’d have to say for me that was the best team/squad of the 90s though. Gough and McStay were class players and it showed on the tournament. I noticed most of the players were mid to late 20s in age, in their peak years. Where as the following years, Craig Browns  squads were an ageing mob. Again, no wide players in fact we barely had any on either flank for the whole decade. (Pat Nevis cameo right enough though) Neil McCann came in by the end of the decade. I’m convinced thats was one of the major factors in our decline that decade. No one to create the chances and hardly anyone calm and composed to stick them away.

Pat Nevis, a man mountain 🤭

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

There were only two groups, so both though as we were rank outsiders.   Going by ELO, we had 1st, 5th and 7th best European teams, while the other group had 2nd (France), 3rd (England), 9th (Denmark, replacing 6th Jugoslavia) and hosts Sweden (not shown, but would have lain 10th).

Maybe the other group would have been better, since France & England were papped out 😄

the other group was very poor imho ; yeah Denmark won it , but some early uninspiring perfomances ; france not that great at that stage - am sure was some boring 0-0s , Taylors england were absolutely brutal ; geoff thomas, carlton palmer et al ; and swedens one man team with thomas brolin up front

On 6/5/2020 at 6:39 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I was there albeit very drunk - like everyone else

My recollection is that they could have taken 7 off us

Have to retract that

In my defence in the 28 years that have passed i have never watched the full game again - only seen the two goals

Clearly i did indeed had too many Class II beers combined with another disappointment

On 6/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, daviebee said:

You must've been absolutely fkin rubbered if that's your recollection!

Yep

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Were you on Sherpie's bus for that trip?

Indeed

The parks double decker that went through every country that had qualified to get there except Russia

Stayed in Halmstad

Edited by Ally Bongo

Just zipped through the Germany game there. How the hell did we not score?!! The number of chances squandered, McClair should have had a hat-trick! Probably the most frustrating Scotland player I can remember. 

I'd forgotten about their flukey second goal too :(

Just watching the CIS game, had to laugh when they were lining up as McPherson was at least a foot taller than anyone else.

Looked a decent team back then and Paul McStay is class at times. Just a bit young to remember them all but looked a decent side 

Aye you could tell the players were desperate to win that game. If only you could bottle that.

I know it’s been mentioned but the dearth of wide players in the 90s was a disgrace really. McAllister played well in the tournament but he was never a wide player. You notice when Nevin came on, he’s lively looks to make things happen and what happens - he gets us a penalty. We went from Nevin to Neil McCann who came in at the tail end of the decade.

26 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Craig Brown's preference for 5-3-2 didn't really give much opportunity for wingers, although there was a bit of a dearth of them compared to previous decades.

Who else did we have, Kevin McAllister, Andy McLaren?

Allan Johnston and Neil McCann emerged towards the end of the '90s but genuine wide midfielders were thin on the ground. It's probably the one position where we're stronger now! Gary McAllister looked like a fish out of water playing there against Holland.

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It was a watershed moment for the Tartan Army. Leading to the peak that was France 98.

Anyone know this guy?

ugynInLKTcB4bdbJX4pyolhXvP-RS27extTD7AmR

There was an event held in Edinburgh a few months after the tournament, probably around August/September on a Sunday.

Somewhere in the south side - pretty sure the bar was called Oddfellows.

The fan and policewoman were both invited to promote the event with them fully expected to recreate the moment.

The WPC turned up as the guest of honour ........................................................accompanied by her husband.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error