Euro 92 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 92

scottincarlisle

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Don't think I've ever seen the full Germany game, was at work during it. Seem to recall we gave them a right hard game and were pretty unlucky.

Remember them doing okay in all 3 games so may have a look. Must have been around the time McStay and McAllister were playing for us.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Don't think I've ever seen the full Germany game, was at work during it. Seem to recall we gave them a right hard game and were pretty unlucky.

I was there albeit very drunk - like everyone else

My recollection is that they could have taken 7 off us

Just seen the stupidest thing - Gordon Durie about to take a corner, lining it up with his left foot. 

A - I don’t think I can recall him ever using his left foot in any situation.

B - I don’t recall Durie ever taking a corner in his career.

As predicted it was sh1te and went straight to a Dutch player...

Jeez this was a no bad side we had. Take this side over the euro 96 team. Richard Gough - what a player, him and Colin Hendry parternship could have been quite a prospect. I like the fact we played 4 at the back. Mcstay in his prime here, certainly enhances the midfield.Brian Mclair has been anonymous, wasn’t he a centre forward, waste of a jersey if you ask me. Stuart McCalls tackling in all these tournament games has been immense. A fit and available Mo Johnston would have been just the ticket, shame he retired too early. 

Last 8 in Europe though I suppose.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Jeez this was a no bad side we had. Take this side over the euro 96 team. Richard Gough - what a player, him and Colin Hendry parternship could have been quite a prospect. I like the fact we played 4 at the back. Mcstay in his prime here, certainly enhances the midfield.Brian Mclair has been anonymous, wasn’t he a centre forward, waste of a jersey if you ask me. Stuart McCalls tackling in all these tournament games has been immense. A fit and available Mo Johnston would have been just the ticket, shame he retired too early. 

McClair started off as an out and out striker but played deeper as he got older.

Mo must've been injured at that point, he'd moved to Everton and had only just turned 29.

For some reason there were only 20 man squads at that tournament. Just the 2 goalies, Andy Goram and Henry Smith!

I was expecting it to look like an easy game for the Dutch but we more than held our own for long periods of that game. Considering the players the Dutch had at that time it was a better than expected performance.  As usual we just didn’t have that touch of magic in the final 3rd, sums up the whole of the 90s really. 

23 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You must've been absolutely fkin rubbered if that's your recollection!

They went 2 up right at the start of the second half and the game was over

They sat back and had umpteen breakaways as we huffed and puffed up the other end

We only looked dangerous from set pieces through Gough and MacPherson and never looked like scoring from open play 

Wasnt that drunk

10 minutes ago, JECK said:

I was expecting it to look like an easy game for the Dutch but we more than held our own for long periods of that game. Considering the players the Dutch had at that time it was a better than expected performance.  As usual we just didn’t have that touch of magic in the final 3rd, sums up the whole of the 90s really. 

Agree with that, and your previous JECK.   Having just watched it, we dominated the 2nd half but lost the goal.

My very vague memory of the German game is that it was a lot tougher.   Let's see tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They sat back and had umpteen breakaways as we huffed and puffed up the other end

We only looked dangerous from set pieces through Gough and MacPherson and never looked like scoring from open play 

Wasnt that drunk

Some wee winger?

our finishing has been very poor at that level for years ; especially defenders at set pieces - compared to other more technical nations - yeah i remember watching all the chances/pressure we had and likes of dave mcpherson skying it - we found the target by the CIS game but glorified friendly by that stage

8 hours ago, todd said:

Also, who the  fuck gets Holland and Germany in a four team group? Wha's like us?😒

When you're down to the last 8 you're pretty much guaranteed a tough group. England, France and eventual winners Denmark were in the other section. 

8 hours ago, todd said:

Also, who the  fuck gets Holland and Germany in a four team group? Wha's like us?😒

There were only two groups, so both though as we were rank outsiders.   Going by ELO, we had 1st, 5th and 7th best European teams, while the other group had 2nd (France), 3rd (England), 9th (Denmark, replacing 6th Jugoslavia) and hosts Sweden (not shown, but would have lain 10th).

Maybe the other group would have been better, since France & England were papped out 😄

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

When you're down to the last 8 you're pretty much guaranteed a tough group. England, France and eventual winners Denmark were in the other section. 

Oh yeah, I forgot there were only 8 teams back then. 24 now and we still can't get there 😒

18 hours ago, JECK said:

Aye, it was a good squad. Probably the last time we had genuine competition for places (by 1998 everyone could probably have predicted the final squad, bar one or two players).

Brian McClair, I think, was the third top scorer in the English First Division that season but was couldn't score for love nor money for the national team. I remember some of wee MCall's tackling was ferocious during Euro 96 - a player like him in the modern game would spend half his time suspended!

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

McClair started off as an out and out striker but played deeper as he got older.

Mo must've been injured at that point, he'd moved to Everton and had only just turned 29.

For some reason there were only 20 man squads at that tournament. Just the 2 goalies, Andy Goram and Henry Smith!

It's funny how your memory plays tricks, I could have sworn it was a 22 man squad and Gordon Marshall was the reserve goalie. Just checked Wikipedia though and you're right!

Aye, it's a pity Mo Johnston wasn't available. Roxburgh had lost almost an entire team due to injury, loss of form or retirement between the end of Italia 90 and Euro 92.

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to watching this. :)

21 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Wasnt that drunk

Were you on Sherpie's bus for that trip?

Again, another great performance you would have to say. And even more chances created. A surprising amount of chances really, how we never scored at least once over the 2 games was just unbelievable.I’d have to say for me that was the best team/squad of the 90s though. Gough and McStay were class players and it showed on the tournament. I noticed most of the players were mid to late 20s in age, in their peak years. Where as the following years, Craig Browns  squads were an ageing mob. Again, no wide players in fact we barely had any on either flank for the whole decade. (Pat Nevis cameo right enough though) Neil McCann came in by the end of the decade. I’m convinced thats was one of the major factors in our decline that decade. No one to create the chances and hardly anyone calm and composed to stick them away.

Edited by JECK