Credit to Neil Doncaster (Virtual Season tickets) WELL DONE! - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Credit to Neil Doncaster (Virtual Season tickets) WELL DONE!

Poor man gets a lot of stick (mostly harsh)

but the guys been pulling blinders recently a good TV Deal with Sky and virtual season ticketsΒ 

Well done Neil big round of applauseΒ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

How will this work, will sky broadcast every game next season and how much will a season ticket cost as I can't see fans paying the price of a normal ticket to see their team on the telly although there would be a chance to get more viewers especially as away games would be available to more fans to watch. Would fans be willing to pay say 5 pound a pop for example to watch their team on the telly as opposed to being in the stadium. Also most stadiums are half empty in Scotland anyways so could social distancing not be practiced in the stands anyway.Β 

It was going to happen, but if theres a dad with two kids, thats only on subscription now, same with groups of mates, instead of all buying a season ticket, one would buy it, and carry out at his.

Id guess the figures sold will be low. Plus as all games will be screened, the illegal streams will be easier to find now.

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

How will this work, will sky broadcast every game next season and how much will a season ticket cost as I can't see fans paying the price of a normal ticket to see their team on the telly although there would be a chance to get more viewers especially as away games would be available to more fans to watch. Would fans be willing to pay say 5 pound a pop for example to watch their team on the telly as opposed to being in the stadium. Also most stadiums are half empty in Scotland anyways so could social distancing not be practiced in the stands anyway.Β 

Following on from my point,Β If Aberdeen for example get 13k against motherwell and the average price of a punter is 15 quid(obviously factoring in kids and oap prices) and its not a game that sky are already broadcasting(let's not forget that they have already paid for the most lucrative games in the spfl) then sky would be looking at trying to get 39k+ viewers at 5 pound a pop for it to financially be worth it. Obviously these figures are just guesswork but the point that is relevant here is will enough viewers be willing to fork out for a virtual season ticket to make this financially viable.

4 hours ago, jimbers said:

but the guys been pulling blinders recently a good TV Deal with Sky and virtual season ticketsΒ 

Poor man ! Nah , has been a tosser and like many officials in Scotland doesn’t even seem to want Scottish football or anything in Scotland to prosper . So β€œmostly harsh β€œ not imo .Β 
Doing his job properly? Do we have to congratulate a well paid bloke for trying to be of any value to his employers. The fans , that is .Β 

From what I can gather, Aberdeen have said that season ticket holders will see all (home) games included in the cost, with something mentioned about a possibility of away games too. It must be a ppv that they’re gonna use, the cost of each game will be interesting.Β 
Β 

edit: approx 6,500 sold so far, so not sure how that will work for figures actually viewing.Β 

Edited by dandydunn

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

From what I can gather, Aberdeen have said that season ticket holders will see all (home) games included in the cost, with something mentioned about a possibility of away games too. It must be a ppv that they’re gonna use, the cost of each game will be interesting.Β 
Β 

edit: approx 6,500 sold so far, so not sure how that will work for figures actually viewing.Β 

Surely the virtual season ticket will be alot less than a normal season ticket. From what I can see online the tickets are 350 - 400 pound for adults. Why anybody would be willing to pay that for watching the games on TV is madness imo. Also some Aberdeen games will be on sky anyways especially when they are playing either of the old firm.Β 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely the virtual season ticket will be alot less than a normal season ticket. From what I can see online the tickets are 350 - 400 pound for adults. Why anybody would be willing to pay that for watching the games on TV is madness imo. Also some Aberdeen games will be on sky anyways especially when they are playing either of the old firm.Β 

Correct, but they’re hoping that people will be allowed into the stadium ASAP and then they’re ready for that. The season ticket guarantees you’ll see every home game, helps the club etc etc. It’s ok if you’ve money lying around for it, but many won’t.Β 

12 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Correct, but they’re hoping that people will be allowed into the stadium ASAP and then they’re ready for that. The season ticket guarantees you’ll see every home game, helps the club etc etc. It’s ok if you’ve money lying around for it, but many won’t.Β 

I think it would be a better idea for the clubs to vastly reduce the price and try get much larger amounts of the virtual tickets sold so that subscriptions will go well above normal season ticket sales. Saying that 6500 fans already is some going at that price. What would be good would be if the clubs could come together and allow the virtual season ticket to allow you to watch away games as well. Then you could get say 15k or more Aberdeen fans tuning into and buying a reasonably priced ppv for motherwell v Aberdeen as opposed to 1k or so that would travel to see the game in normal circumstances.Β 

Also how will this work for old firm fans, the old firm are usually the games that sky sports televise so why would old firm fans choose to buy a virtual ticket when they can just watch it on skysports. Obviously there are some who will to save the club but alot won't be willing to fork out huge money for something there getting on skysports anyways.Β 

Edited by mccaughey85

Wouldn’t it be great i you supported a team that had all their away games broadcast live, and you could pay an additional subscription forΒ the home games, which are never shown live....
Β 

(or am I just being a cynic?)

8 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Anyone hear that each club will have a limit on the number they can sell- based on current numbers of season ticket holders?

That would surely make no sense as a business model??

Motherwell have already said it will be free to season ticket holders (alongside their guarantee of entry to 19 games and the first cup/European game.)

πŸ‘πŸ»

Edited by sbcmfc

8 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Anyone hear that each club will have a limit on the number they can sell- based on current numbers of season ticket holders?

That’s what the press releases say. The β€˜virtual season tickets’ can only be given / sold to existing season ticket holders. There will be no PPV for home games.

20 hours ago, jimbers said:

The prick deserves all the stick (and more) that he gets.

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Saw the Aberdeen chairman saying October for fans starting getting into stadiums.

Think he's clutching at straws and why I think clubs are off their heads selling season tickets.

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

It was going to happen, but if theres a dad with two kids, thats only on subscription now, same with groups of mates, instead of all buying a season ticket, one would buy it, and carry out at his.

ImagineΒ a lot of people in those circumstances will realise that clubs are going to need cash and will probably still fork over regardless. 4 of us who live within a short drive of eachother will still all be renewing. Obviously personal finances will play a big part in the decision, but I imagine many will still renew regardless of the circumstances. Blind loyalty or stupidity, you can decide.

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Saw the Aberdeen chairman saying October for fans starting getting into stadiums.

Think he's clutching at straws and why I think clubs are off their heads selling season tickets.

I think it's the other way around. Clubs are crazy not to sell season tickets. How else are clubs going to finance a team for season 20/21?

Cormack said he hopes some spectators can attend from November / December and is preparing for that, which is prudent.Β He's also said that realistically it will be 2021 before fans attend.

Even withΒ season ticket salesΒ it's likely that the turnover at Pittodrie will fall from about Β£16m to Β£10m for 20/21. The 6,500 who have bought already are under no illusion about the chances of actually attending games.

Personally, we areΒ in the fortunate position that could renew and have done so. The main reason being I want to ensure there is a club follow at the end of all of this. The streaming announcement is welcome and gives some value to the season tickets bought... I'll be able to see every league match at Pittodrie - whether in person or virtual. No season ticket = no access to the streams (legally).

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I haven’t personally renewed at the moment, but I would’ve if I had the cash, simply can’t justify 2 season tickets with my wife and I on 80% and no idea when that’ll change. It seems there may be a tv season ticket, but a full announcement will be in the next few weeks. If anything, I’ll renew my sons U-18 ticket as that’ll only be Β£108 and get tv for that.Β 

1 hour ago, min said:

I think it's the other way around. Clubs are crazy not to sell season tickets. How else are clubs going to finance a team for season 20/21?

Β 

Β 

Nah, clubs are right not to sell tickets for stuff they have no idea what they are offering tickets for.

1 hour ago, min said:

?Cormack said he hopes some spectators can attend from November / December and is preparing for that, which is prudent.Β He's also said that realistically it will be 2021 before fans attend.

Β 

Not true, he said "hoping, to return to Pittodrie with partial crowds from November or December and full crowds in January 2021." How on earth can he say that with anything other than a guess?

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I haven’t personally renewed at the moment, but I would’ve if I had the cash, simply can’t justify 2 season tickets with my wife and I on 80% and no idea when that’ll change. It seems there may be a tv season ticket, but a full announcement will be in the next few weeks. If anything, I’ll renew my sons U-18 ticket as that’ll only be Β£108 and get tv for that.Β 

I haven't either as we've not put any on sale. My issue with clubs putting them on sale, at full price, is that it's putting fans who are maybe not particularly well off, in a position where they are wanting to renew as they always do. I have no time for the old firm but them putting season tickets on sale, at full price, knowing full well they have waiting lists and existing season ticket holders knowing they would lose their seats for years to come, is morally wrong IMO.

Clubs are taking Β£100s of fans, without having the slightest idea of when fans can attend.

If fans want to donate money to the club (I do each month and have upped it single COVID but i've no kids and not furloughed) and they can afford it, then by all means but putting season tickets on sale at full whack and giving fans a link to watch on a laptop is mental.

A TV season ticket by all means and offer fans the option of topping up if they can afford it but Β£400/Β£500 off folk and saying they hope they can attend a few games next year is fucking bonkers.

Some might disagree but that's how I see it.Β 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nah, clubs are right not to sell tickets for stuff they have no idea what they are offering tickets for.

Not true, he said "hoping, to return to Pittodrie with partial crowds from November or December and full crowds in January 2021." How on earth can he say that with anything other than a guess?

I haven't either as we've not put any on sale. My issue with clubs putting them on sale, at full price, is that it's putting fans who are maybe not particularly well off, in a position where they are wanting to renew as they always do. I have no time for the old firm but them putting season tickets on sale, at full price, knowing full well they have waiting lists and existing season ticket holders knowing they would lose their seats for years to come, is morally wrong IMO.

Clubs are taking Β£100s of fans, without having the slightest idea of when fans can attend.

If fans want to donate money to the club (I do each month and have upped it single COVID but i've no kids and not furloughed) and they can afford it, then by all means but putting season tickets on sale at full whack and giving fans a link to watch on a laptop is mental.

A TV season ticket by all means and offer fans the option of topping up if they can afford it but Β£400/Β£500 off folk and saying they hope they can attend a few games next year is fucking bonkers.

Some might disagree but that's how I see it.Β 

I disagree, its up to the fan/consumer whether they want to part with their money. In my case I bought some extra stuff from the club shop which I don't usually do, that was my choice just as those who have renewed will choose to do so. They will know they won;t be getting full value but I guess their attitude is they want to help the club. Clubs aren't forcing fans to do anything they don;t have to do.Β 

Β 

Β 

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, its up to the fan/consumer whether they want to part with their money. In my case I bought some extra stuff from the club shop which I don't usually do, that was my choice just as those who have renewed will choose to do so. They will know they won;t be getting full value but I guess their attitude is they want to help the club. Clubs aren't forcing fans to do anything they don;t have to do.Β 

Β 

Β 

In inclined to agree with Squirrel.Β  When you look at the likes of Rangers where there's a waiting list for season tickets, if a season ticket holder doesn't renew they run the risk of waiting a few years before they can get it back and would almost certainly not get the same seat or even standΒ back where they might sit next to friends/family.Β  I think it's a bit unfair of clubs in those circumstances to put pressure on fans to pay full price for a ticket when they can't deliver the product.Β  I'd have thought there would be a compromise that could be reached for either a lower ST price until normal service is resumed or perhaps allowing fans in those circumstances to pay a holding fee.Β  I accept though that it's not particularly good business sense, especially for the likes of Rangers who rely heavily on the ST money to keep the lights on and the faces painted.

Edited by Fairbairn

13 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

In inclined to agree with Squirrel.Β  When you look at the likes of Rangers where there's a waiting list for season tickets, if a season ticket holder doesn't renew they run the risk of waiting a few years before they can get it back and would almost certainly not get the same seat or even standΒ back where they might sit next to friends/family.Β  I think it's a bit unfair of clubs in those circumstances to put pressure on fans to pay full price for a ticket when they can't deliver the product.Β  I'd have thought there would be a compromise that could be reached for either a lower ST price until normal service is resumed or perhaps allowing fans in those circumstances to pay a holding fee.Β  I accept though that it's not particularly good business sense, especially for the likes of Rangers who rely heavily on the ST money to keep the lights on and the faces painted.

its only pressure if people want it to be. They do have the right to say no

Clubs are in a tough position, they will desperately need cash to stay afloat and compete, they have to try absolutely everything.Β