Season 20/21 - Page 163 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I get that, but how can they stand it?

It can't be THAT offensive to them to continually see and hear the goings on.

Wouldn't a 'normal' person (who is clearly in the minority) want to disassociate themselves with the sectarian stage entirely?

I've followed Rangers at a distance over five decades. They've always been my team since childhood, my dad supported Dundee United.  I've been up to see them several times over the years but there have been many times where you just think you'll give your allegiance to someone else.  Fed up with the sectarianism, the bigotry, the assumption we 're all monarchists and unionists. I genuinely don't know whether the knuckle draggers are in the majority. I hope you're wrong but over the years neither the club not decent fans have done enough to counter the mindset of those we saw yesterday in George Square.

42 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

What's stopping him from supporting another side?

Great guy and gentleman, 'Neblo009', had had enough and packed it in.

From what I can work out Fairbairn is in his 40’s. Despite all the shit that comes with Rangers I really dont think it’s reasonable to expect someone to change allegiance after a life time supporting a team, if you feel really passionate about something its not that easy. And it’s not like this behaviour is new.
I supported Rangers myself till the late 70’s then got fed up of the bigotry, I couldnt stand at Ibrox listening to the shite that was being sung when my best friend was a catholic. But I was only in my mid teens and wasn't that difficult to give up. 

What I do think is possible is for decent supporters to do a bit of self policing. How many ‘good ‘ supporters stand at matches conveniently ignoring the pond life singing their bile. The reputation of the club’s fans  is in the gutter yet they do nothing about it. If a group of dead heads can mobilise themselves to Ibrox and George Sq then surely the decent fans can do something to name and shame these people. Makes you wonder if they really want things to change.  

43 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

What's stopping him from supporting another side?

Great guy and gentleman, 'Neblo009', had had enough and packed it in.

What a ridiculous statement. I could say the same about you !!! Why do you belong to a club that sings about the ibrox disaster? Get my point? Probably not as it would offend you. I like fairbairn, and I am sure he is disgusted by an element of his football club that he wants no part of.. 

Sorry folks, been out having lunch with my Mum and seen that I'm the topic of conversation.  A couple of points, I won't let the actions of a section of the support "bully" me out of supporting the my team.  I've already stopped going to games so happy enough being an armchair fan and not having to put up with that shite face to face.  

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

From what I can work out Fairbairn is in his 40’s. Despite all the shit that comes with Rangers I really dont think it’s reasonable to expect someone to change allegiance after a life time supporting a team, if you feel really passionate about something its not that easy. And it’s not like this behaviour is new.
I supported Rangers myself till the late 70’s then got fed up of the bigotry, I couldnt stand at Ibrox listening to the shite that was being sung when my best friend was a catholic. But I was only in my mid teens and wasn't that difficult to give up. 

What I do think is possible is for decent supporters to do a bit of self policing. How many ‘good ‘ supporters stand at matches conveniently ignoring the pond life singing their bile. The reputation of the club’s fans  is in the gutter yet they do nothing about it. If a group of dead heads can mobilise themselves to Ibrox and George Sq then surely the decent fans can do something to name and shame these people. Makes you wonder if they really want things to change.  

I'm not sure or should I say I don't know if that's possible. Renfrewblue mentioned this before, he said he tried to confront it and he was shouted down by a few fans. 

This has to come from the club, they have to want their fans to behave.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Sorry folks, been out having lunch with my Mum and seen that I'm the topic of conversation.  A couple of points, I won't let the actions of a section of the support "bully" me out of supporting the my team.  I've already stopped going to games so happy enough being an armchair fan and not having to put up with that shite face to face.  

I had a rummage under the tables after you left in the hope you had dropped a bulging wallet. Nothing. Not even a stray pound coin from your trouser pocket. Very disappointing  🙂

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure or should I say I don't know if that's possible. Renfrewblue mentioned this before, he said he tried to confront it and he was shouted down by a few fans. 

I think it has to come from both sides. These days social media media , although regularly used in a negative way, provides a platform for people to come together in order to work towards achieving things that could never have been done in the past. But people need to put the effort in and want to work. Until this happens nothing will change. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

If you watched some of videos from yesterday, particularly the ones were the police were being attacked and the attackers were right in their faces mocking them, then you’d need some balls to confront them sort of Neanderthals. 

Watched the 'scenes' this morning - Fkn tragic

About time the decent Rangers fans grew a set and sorted this the fuck out

In addition, Aberdeen fans, and it was REALLY only ever a few, NEVER sing the IDS anymore - We saw to that internally

That Canadian cock and his lying to fuck blue and white fuckstick pal really do need to say cheerio to this board for good

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What a ridiculous statement. I could say the same about you !!! Why do you belong to a club that sings about the ibrox disaster? Get my point? Probably not as it would offend you. I like fairbairn, and I am sure he is disgusted by an element of his football club that he wants no part of.. 

It's not.

If Aberdeen had the baggage of Celtic or Sevco I'd distance myself from them permanently. 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I've followed Rangers at a distance over five decades. They've always been my team since childhood, my dad supported Dundee United.  I've been up to see them several times over the years but there have been many times where you just think you'll give your allegiance to someone else.  Fed up with the sectarianism, the bigotry, the assumption we 're all monarchists and unionists. I genuinely don't know whether the knuckle draggers are in the majority. I hope you're wrong but over the years neither the club not decent fans have done enough to counter the mindset of those we saw yesterday in George Square.

Great post, well said 👍

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

From what I can work out Fairbairn is in his 40’s. Despite all the shit that comes with Rangers I really dont think it’s reasonable to expect someone to change allegiance after a life time supporting a team...

Forty something isn't a lifetime.

(And 'Neblo' was older.)

I'm just saying that it can be done.

...if you feel really passionate about something its not that easy.

It would be for me.

You simply weigh up what's more important and do the right thing.

And it’s not like this behaviour is new.

Hardly makes it right.

I can't see how 'Well, I've been exposed to "the sh*te that was being sung" for decades so it's kinda hard to give it up now' being put forth as a strong valid point.

Anyone who has reached an age where they know right from wrong shouldn't IMHO be a paying customer that feeds this vile monster.

We can all see the negative effect it has on society.

Sadly, I'd fear for the safety of anyone (clearly) in a minority that tried to police the ingrained hate of that horde.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

(Thank you for your response.)

The loud volume of the banned songs that get sung at their games tells you that it's not a minority.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I won't let the actions of a section of the support "bully" me out of supporting the my team. 

OK

I've already stopped going to games... 

...erm... OK

...so happy enough being an armchair fan and not having to put up with that shite face to face.  

That's hardly being part of the solution, though, is it?

What about the innocent folk walking down the street and taking public transport?

What about the police?

You might be able to give the baying mob a body swerve, but not everyone can.

You gotta feel for the poor people in the towns and cities around Europe that get descended upon by that horde.

Scotty, why are you trying to crucify Fairbairn, who is clearly a decent guy?

He knows that a section of his club are vermin, but it’s still his club.

You preach about pish without ever self reflecting. Give it a rest eh. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I supported Rangers myself till the late 70’s then got fed up of the bigotry

That's actually what I did, too. 

I supported Rangers, purely because of the football. When I got old enough and started noticing the bigotry and the unionist thing.

I said "enough" and stopped supporting them. Mine was about mid 90s.

Fairbairn seems like a nice guy, though. I wouldn't tarnish him with the "typical Rangers fan" brush.

3 hours ago, Redz said:

Watched the 'scenes' this morning - Fkn tragic

About time the decent Rangers fans grew a set and sorted this the fuck out

In addition, Aberdeen fans, and it was REALLY only ever a few, NEVER sing the IDS anymore - We saw to that internally

That Canadian cock and his lying to fuck blue and white fuckstick pal really do need to say cheerio to this board for good

Wow !! I would be banned permanently for what you wrote. Why am I a cock? Why a permanent ban? Honestly. Is this another Aberdeen thing. Seems you, Dandydunn, and Scotty at it again...

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Scotty, why are you trying to crucify Fairbairn, who is clearly a decent guy?

He knows that a section of his club are vermin, but it’s still his club.

You preach about pish without ever self reflecting. Give it a rest eh. 

Amen to that...

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

It's not.

If Aberdeen had the baggage of Celtic or Sevco I'd distance myself from them permanently. 

Good for you. Your medal awaits. Fairbairn has supported this club his whole life apparantly. He has every right to support his club till the day he dies. He has no time for the manky mob of his club. He has no control over it. But hey, Scotty has his knickers in a twist and thinks he should abandon his club.. Who are you to judge someone? You always come across all fuckin prim and proper, well let me tell you, you are not always correct. I'm the same S Fairbairn. There are things that an element of MY club do that make me sick, but I will continue to support Celtic. It's my God given right.. So lay off folk...