Season 20/21 - Page 148 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

46 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Maybe you now know how the rest of the board felt with all the boooommmmssss, yaldis, irrelevant posts with each passing game, threads all over the place, ending sentences with HH, referring to your children or dog as your bhoys, a 10IAR celebration for about 3 seasons and a general disrespect to the rest of Scottish football supporters every time Celtic won another trophy  

But now the shoe is on the other foot, you’re sulking, as many predicted would happen, so it’s quite fun to see. 

You just cant stop can you. Not biting anymore....

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

According to Douglas park, Rangers winning the league is:

“I am at a loss as to what more Rangers Football Club could have done to limit the reaction to winning our historic 55th league title. It has been widely accepted amongst the football family that this is one of the greatest modern day sporting achievements and I believe that this should not be downplayed.

Aye when you consider the money spent since Gerrard came in compared to the other clubs (including the amount of coaches they’ve employed) this is no achievement of any worth. When Ryan Kent costs more than the entire st mirren first eleven for example.Who knows what the wage bill is. Folk need to seriously wise up on this.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

While the SPFL may be at the extreme of this, it's not uncommon for leagues in small-medium sized countries to be dominated by two or three clubs.

Uruguay if anything seems to be slightly worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Primera_División#Titles_by_club

Montevideo Wanderers are due a comeback 

4 hours ago, aaid said:

While the SPFL may be at the extreme of this, it's not uncommon for leagues in small-medium sized countries to be dominated by two or three clubs.

Uruguay if anything seems to be slightly worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Primera_División#Titles_by_club

Looking at it closer,it has been won  10 times in last 30 years by non big two.

We could only dream of that....

Forgot too count how many teams.. 

8 hours ago, Archiesdad said:

Looking at it closer,it has been won  10 times in last 30 years by non big two.

We could only dream of that....

Forgot too count how many teams.. 

And in the 30 years from 1955 to 1985, the Scottish league was won by non-OF teams nine times - Aberdeen (4), Hearts (2), Dundee, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock each once.

Anyway, the point I make is that somehow this unbalanced position in Scotland with a couple of dominant teams is somehow considered as unique when it isn't.

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

And in the 30 years from 1955 to 1985, the Scottish league was won by non-OF teams nine times - Aberdeen (4), Hearts (2), Dundee, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock each once.

Anyway, the point I make is that somehow this unbalanced position in Scotland with a couple of dominant teams is somehow considered as unique when it isn't.

It's not even unique to football. It is just a function of unchecked capitalisation, where capital and power ends up being concentrated in the hands of the few.

Coca cola, McDonalds, Amazon, Google, Tesla and The Rangers :)

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

A comparison is probably your local high street. Rangers and Celtic are Asda and Tesco, the rest are your local butcher, baker etc...

13 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

It's not even unique to football. It is just a function of unchecked capitalisation, where capital and power ends up being concentrated in the hands of the few.

What he said. 😂

17 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Football - from the point it became professional has been a capitalist venture.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

It's unique in Europe in the last 35 years, I'll have a look for my recent post with the data on the very subject.

1 minute ago, mr mojo risin said:

It's unique in Europe in the last 35 years, I'll have a look for my recent post with the data on the very subject.

Of course, you might want to consider why with one of big two out of the equation for the best part of a decade, no other club was able to come even remotely close to the other one.

You would've thought that a club with a reasonable budget, a good manager who could spend that budget well and put together a good team and a board that would hold its nerve, would've been able to dominate the other 10 teams in the league and then be able to go into games against the single dominant team and at least be competitive.  

Also, lets not forget there was a season were Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were all in the Championship.

But no, it didn't happen.

Too many clubs in the SPFL are beaten before they start and if you have that attitude, it's almost certain that's what will happen.

That is what happened.

Aberdeen were top in January '15 and minutes away from having a chance to go top in March '16 - had Liverpool not recalled their keeper for no real reason who knows how close we'd have got.

To borrow from the posts above what we really need is for people to avoid the big supermarkets and shop locally again - that will always be the biggest problem, buses from Peterhead etc. heading to Glasgow.

In Portugal, the big three have won every league apart from two years. That was the worst example I could find when looking for questions for a home made quiz.

The weegie cabal might be annoying as fuck, but we aren’t alone in the world when it comes to a few teams dominating the league. 

On 3/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, RDFH64 said:

RH, the emoji bomber :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

He announced he was leaving the board, Bells where ringing around the shire,, Then he changed his mind and they turned into bells of doom, His patter is shite, he's a complete whataboutery fuckwit, then he can't take being given his character( ignores), get him into the fucking sea i say

7 hours ago, kumnio said:

In Portugal, the big three have won every league apart from two years. That was the worst example I could find when looking for questions for a home made quiz.

The weegie cabal might be annoying as fuck, but we aren’t alone in the world when it comes to a few teams dominating the league. 

Aye, they're the only one close but even they've had 4 champions since '85.

8 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Aberdeen were top in January '15 and minutes away from having a chance to go top in March '16 - had Liverpool not recalled their keeper for no real reason who knows how close we'd have got.

That's a great point.

Danny Ward was recalled to sit on the Liverpool bench (and sometimes, not even that), despite being Aberdeen's best player up to that point, and being number one and playing every week.

I stated on here that Brendan Rodgers pulled a few (Liverpool) strings. I was then rounded on and laughed at, mocked, insulted, you name it.

Maybe some people should revisit that theory.

Edited by Taylor1996

57 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's a great point.

Danny Ward was recalled to sit on the Liverpool bench (and sometimes, not even that), despite being Aberdeen's best player up to that point, and being number one and playing every week.

I stated on here that Brendan Rodgers pulled a few (Liverpool) strings. I was then rounded on and laughed at, mocked, insulted, you name it.

what evidence do you now have to substantiate what still remains a far fetched pub opinion? 

4 hours ago, dj mick said:

He announced he was leaving the board, Bells where ringing around the shire,, Then he changed his mind and they turned into bells of doom, His patter is shite, he's a complete whataboutery fuckwit, then he can't take being given his character( ignores), get him into the fucking sea i say

Don't be full of hatred kid.  I don't do emojis.  That is for kids.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's a great point.

What’s the theory here? That months before he knew Deila would be leaving Celtic, Rodgers intervened to get Liverpool to recall Ward to help Celtic win the league in the hope that when Deila - who he didn’t know was leaving - left he’d get the job and still be in the champions league?

Edited by wee-toon-red

29 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

What’s the theory here? That months before he knew Deila would be leaving Celtic, Rodgers intervened to get Liverpool to recall Ward to help Celtic win the league in the hope that when Deila - who he didn’t know was leaving - left he’d get the job and still be in the champions league?

Exactly. 

If anyone genuinely thinks that Celtic didn't approach Brendan Rodgers by the third quarter of 2015, and shake hands on the deal to take over from Deila, then I'm afraid it's astonishingly naive.

Timeline:

10th January '16 - Ward's Aberdeen loan finishes.

20th April '16 - Deila decides to leave Celtic.

8th May '16 - Deila leaves Celtic.

16th May '16 - Rodgers Appointed Celtic manager.

But hey, it's just a theory, like relativity and that Scotland would be successful with a back three. Oh wait, the last one isn't a theory anymore. ;)

Edited by Taylor1996

11 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Aye, they're the only one close but even they've had 4 champions since '85.

Scotland have had 4 since 1983. Five for the folk who want to count Rangers twice.

Edited by Orraloon