Season 20/21 - Page 129 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

You are assuming Celtic will win the two OF games then Scotty.  When Rangers, sorry Sevco have won the last three.  Don't think so Scotty 👍

There's a big difference between 'in with a shout' and 'the League is gone'.

You planning to lose the next 2 two Sevco games?

I say that both are very winnable.

I know most of all posters on here are supporters of Scottish Premiership clubs so what I am about to post may not resonate with you but I think it is worthwhile to ask the question anyway.

With the ongoing suspension of all football in Scotland below the Championship does anyone else feel like the nuts and bolts of our game have been totally removed? I am a fan of a lower league club (Stenhousemuir) so I am directly affected by this but was just wondering if fans of clubs who are still currently playing are missing the lower leagues on a Saturday afternoon - even if it is just from the point of view of having more results to look out for.

Even when the games were being played I was feeling disconnected as watching a stream just isn't the same as getting along to Ochilview to watch the games in person with my son. Since they shut the lower leagues down I have totally tuned out from Scottish football - I don't even know or care how many points Rangers are ahead of Celtic or who is scrapping against relegation from the Premiership/Championship.

Anyway thanks for reading - any thoughts appreciated.

14 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I know most of all posters on here are supporters of Scottish Premiership clubs so what I am about to post may not resonate with you but I think it is worthwhile to ask the question anyway.

With the ongoing suspension of all football in Scotland below the Championship does anyone else feel like the nuts and bolts of our game have been totally removed? I am a fan of a lower league club (Stenhousemuir) so I am directly affected by this but was just wondering if fans of clubs who are still currently playing are missing the lower leagues on a Saturday afternoon - even if it is just from the point of view of having more results to look out for.

Even when the games were being played I was feeling disconnected as watching a stream just isn't the same as getting along to Ochilview to watch the games in person with my son. Since they shut the lower leagues down I have totally tuned out from Scottish football - I don't even know or care how many points Rangers are ahead of Celtic or who is scrapping against relegation from the Premiership/Championship.

Totally agree Morrie.  Armadale Thistle had started streaming games and I was watching them.  But obviously not allowed now.  So I feel for you pal.  But I think the likes of your team having to pay costs with no supporters at the moment is impossible.  The big teams can hardly afford it just now.  Even Celtic who have reported a £5m loss.  It is tough but these are tough times and need to ride it through.  I read Lennon this morning saying that they will need to take 5 buses up to Dingwall tomorrow.  Whether that is true or not I don't know.  But your club could not afford that.  So I think in essence it is probably right financially that the lower league clubs can't afford to play just now.

27 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

You're not missing much regarding the top of the table. It's the usual Old Firm tit for rat garbage. 

I used to go to a lot of fraserburgh matches on a Saturday afternoon but haven't been for about 5 years because I moved away so I kind of know how you feel. I miss that more than I miss Pittodrie. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

You're not missing much regarding the top of the table. It's the usual Old Firm tit for rat garbage. 

I used to go to a lot of fraserburgh matches on a Saturday afternoon but haven't been for about 5 years because I moved away so I kind of know how you feel. I miss that more than I miss Pittodrie. 

You slept in this morning ya cant?  Aye I agree with you VA.  I like the Junior matches and the pie and bovril at half time.  But on the other hand there is nothing like going to a full stadium like Pittodrie, Ibrox or Parkhead.  Somebody asked yesterday about there favourites.  Mines was Tannadice, the slope in the old terracing in the away end was frightening.  Other was Easter Road.

3 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Yup, missing the Edinburgh City games massively. Although I’m an Arab and the wee man a Jambo, most Saturdays are spent home and away following City (it’s more ‘our team’ rather than me taking him to Tynie). 
We’re involved in the club at youth level and we love the set up of the whole club - on first name terms with the players, manager, chairmen etc as they’re such a small community club. 
It’s also a lot better visiting all the wee terraced old-school stadiums, Berwick Rangers away being the best away day. 

Miss it massively. 

7 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I’m missing it, sitting in the living room at lunchtime having a beer whilst speaking to pals via whatever means of communication is horrific. Makes you realise how much we’ve taken for granted getting out for a few Saturday pints and a game of fitba. 

Got told young kids are allowed to return to training now, so hopefully that’s a start to getting some small normality back again, just completed another zoom coaching course today and can’t wait to get back out there (even though it’s a load of pish) 😂

8 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Totally agree Morrie.  Armadale Thistle had started streaming games and I was watching them.  But obviously not allowed now.  So I feel for you pal.  But I think the likes of your team having to pay costs with no supporters at the moment is impossible.  The big teams can hardly afford it just now.  Even Celtic who have reported a £5m loss.  It is tough but these are tough times and need to ride it through.  I read Lennon this morning saying that they will need to take 5 buses up to Dingwall tomorrow.  Whether that is true or not I don't know.  But your club could not afford that.  So I think in essence it is probably right financially that the lower league clubs can't afford to play just now.

Nice reply incorporating the teams much further down the pyramid too - there must be so many fans feeling the same way I do. Good point regarding cost of match travel though. Something else to mull over.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks for the update from the upper end of the Premiership ha. The matchday experience is something I am missing terribly and your post about missing Fraserburgh home games sums up how I feel about missing the Stenny ones, cheers.

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Yup, missing the Edinburgh City games massively. Although I’m an Arab and the wee man a Jambo, most Saturdays are spent home and away following City (it’s more ‘our team’ rather than me taking him to Tynie). 
We’re involved in the club at youth level and we love the set up of the whole club - on first name terms with the players, manager, chairmen etc as they’re such a small community club. 
It’s also a lot better visiting all the wee terraced old-school stadiums, Berwick Rangers away being the best away day. 

Miss it massively. 

Know exactly what you are saying regarding visiting the small grounds etc and we are similar in that the wee man trains at Stenhousemuir FC, usually twice a week although that is curtailed at the moment due to the current lockdown. Hope our leagues get up and running again soon although I am feeling a bit pessimistic.

1 minute ago, morrie21 said:

Thanks to all who replied to my post regarding feeling disconnected/unhappy regarding the ongoing suspension of the lower leagues. Appreciated and will reply to all shortly.

Cheers Morrie.  Aye I do miss the Juniors.  Never been to Stenhousmuir's park tbh but imagine it would be a good day out.  Scottish football is a great thing.  I love coaching the kids and winning at the Tony Macaroni Stadium last year was special for them in the Scottish.    Stand on pal 👉

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I’m missing it, sitting in the living room at lunchtime having a beer whilst speaking to pals via whatever means of communication is horrific. Makes you realise how much we’ve taken for granted getting out for a few Saturday pints and a game of fitba. 

Got told young kids are allowed to return to training now, so hopefully that’s a start to getting some small normality back again, just completed another zoom coaching course today and can’t wait to get back out there (even though it’s a load of pish) 😂

Yeah definitely feeling like going to the games was taken for granted by many folks for a long time. What we would all give to get back to a game soon. My son has been training for 45mins a week at Stenhousemuir FC as that was the guidelines set out by the government for this latest lockdown for his age group. He usually trains two 75min sessions a week. Hope you get back to your coaching very soon mate, cheers.

6 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Nice reply incorporating the teams much further down the pyramid too - there must be so many fans feeling the same way I do. Good point regarding cost of match travel though. Something else to mull over.

It was Dalbeattie Star that raised that a few weeks ago with the SFA.  They just couldn't afford the travel costs.  That is what got me thinking about it.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Thanks for the update from the upper end of the Premiership ha. The matchday experience is something I am missing terribly and your post about missing Fraserburgh home games sums up how I feel about missing the Stenny ones, cheers.

I went to the stenny v fraserburgh Scottish Cup game a few years ago. What a day out that was. I've had greats days with aberdeen but the Scottish Cup away days with fraserburgh are better.

6 minutes ago, Redz said:

Tough decision to watch or poke my eyes with sharp sticks today

Pleased we scored / won, but by god it's a brutal watch

We go backwards faster

The dons done a goal and that's about jt

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The dons done a goal and that's about jt

Yep

When DC eventually has the balls to do the 'nothing off limits' Q&A, he needs to be asked why our 3 at the back is fukin pitiful, and appears to prevent any forward thinking ideas - That, and why our creative (I say that loosely) wing backs aren't allowed  cross the halfway line.

In fact, why they can't even cross properly at all....

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Free hit at Rangers today, nothing to lose and expect nothing. As long as we at least turn up as opposed to our last embarrassing visit. Have a bit of a go and end up getting spanked I'll not complain. 👍

I would agree with that.  Why not have a go.  Haven't seen Utd this season and looking forward to the game.  I hope Utd do have a go and make a game of it.

Beginning to agree now with Celtic and Dons fans about their managers. Probably time for a change.  But in these circumstances with Covid makes it a hard call.  I still like the way McInnes speak after games but will take on board the Dons fans opinions as to the style of play he has.  Talk the talk etc.  Hopefully Scottish Football will get back to realistic spending next season.  I understand why Rangers pushed the boat out this season and luckily had big financial backers.  I don't want to see Rangers winning two in a row and being genuine about that.  I think they will win today but hope Utd give it a go and make it a good game.  Really enjoyed the Antwerp game on Thursday.  End to end and what football should be all about.