Season 20/21 - Page 94 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

, "where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball".

“all other circumstances" though the punishment is a red card.

Hedges didn't mean to trip Morelos but the Aberdeen man was not tackling in an attempt to win the ball.

Therefore Beaton had no choice but to send him off despite the foul being unintentional.

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

But more importantly, he didn’t try and foul the player. 

He did foul him though, so it’s a pen. It’s never a red card. 

Thats not the rules though. If you dont make a genuine attempt to go for the ball and its a foul then its a red.

Cant blame the officials for upholding the law.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats not the rules though. If you dont make a genuine attempt to go for the ball and its a foul then its a red.

Cant blame the officials for upholding the law.

He didn’t make an attempt to go for the ball or the man. It was an accidental trip. 

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I dont drink. Aye, Morales is such a fuckin role model..

Off the park Morelos is a big role model. Does a massive amount of charity work for and in Columbia.

On the park he has poor discipline and while he isn't as bad as last season, he is still capable of being a complete idiot. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

He didn’t make an attempt to go for the ball or the man. It was an accidental trip. 

Lets examine what the laws of the game say about circumstances when a direct free kick is awards, i.e. when a foul is committed.

1. Direct free kick A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• charges
• jumps at
• kicks or attempts to kick
• pushes
• strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
• tackles or challenges
• trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact, it is penalised by a direct free kick.

Note that there's nothing that says "this doesn't apply if it was an accident".

So he committed a foul by tripping an opponent which means that it should be penalised by the award of a direct free kick.  As that was inside the box that means a penalty.   In fouling the player he made no attempt to play the ball and  denied a obvious goal-scoring opportunity and , the sanction for which is a mandatory red card.

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Exactly, which was a foul and following the rules then a red card.

You said it was a penalty but not a red card. The only way it can be a penalty but not a red card was if he made a genuine attempt for the ball which again you have stated he didnt. Therefore a red card.

In my opinion thats a stupid rule but its the rule all the same.

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

No it wasn’t. He had his hand on Morelos’s back before making the first contact. 

If the hand flicking his back was enough to bring the buffalo down Africa’s lions would all be fat as f**k & nae dying of starvation 😜

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Off the park Morelos is a big role model. Does a massive amount of charity work for and in Columbia.

On the park he has poor discipline and while he isn't as bad as last season, he is still capable of being a complete idiot. 

On the park he’s a cheating miserable prick, can’t comment on what good things he does in Columbia, then again Columbia’s biggest & baddest cocaine dealer was very charitable to the poor people of Columbia.

We can't be too far away now from (a) Peter Lawwell staggering pished drunk through a world renowned museum knocking over precious artefacts worth millions, (b) Neil Lennon getting caught shagging John Kennedy's missus and (c) Griff battering some poor defenceless hun down his local chippy. 

In short get this season in the fuckin bin! An omnishambles borne of arrogance, complacency and incompetence from the top down. 

If Dermot Desmond isn't making plans now to empty those responsible for this shit show he clearly doesn't care much about his 'investment.' 

28 minutes ago, slasher said:

We can't be too far away now from (a) Peter Lawwell staggering pished drunk through a world renowned museum knocking over precious artefacts worth millions, (b) Neil Lennon getting caught shagging John Kennedy's missus and (c) Griff battering some poor defenceless hun down his local chippy. 

In short get this season in the fuckin bin! An omnishambles borne of arrogance, complacency and incompetence from the top down. 

If Dermot Desmond isn't making plans now to empty those responsible for this shit show he clearly doesn't care much about his 'investment.' 

Every era for Rangers and Celtic comes to an end.  Rangers were always going to come back strong.  I still wouldn't write Celtic off yet as I have said before I like Lennon and they were simply unlucky in the OF game.  Glad you are back 👍

42 minutes ago, slasher said:

Stunning assessment 😂😂

I wonder if Celtic arent releasing details of the player who has Covid because they suspect that there will be pictures of him in close contact with several of their squad who would then need to isolate and would thus dramatically weaken there team for tonights game.

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wonder if Celtic arent releasing details of the player who has Covid because they suspect that there will be pictures of him in close contact with several of their squad who would then need to isolate and would thus dramatically weaken there team for tonights game.

Is it not patient confidentiality?

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Is it not patient confidentiality?

Possibly. Everytime a player has tested positive their names have come out although that could be just the press doing the digging. Im thinking of Armstrong with Scotland. We knew straight away it was him and that Tierney and Christie were the players in close contact.

48 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think the red card goes against the spirit of the new law, but was probably correct. Curtis Main is getting a red more often than not for his.

The best part of it was that Morelos required treatment from the physio. 😂

I'd agree with this.   Before the recent changes to the law, if you'd asked me one thing you'd change in football, it would have been the mandatory red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity in the box.  I've seen way too many games over the years ruined because of this double sanction - penalty which usually leads to a goal and going a man down.

To my mind, it should only really be for absolutely blatant acts like, pulling someone back,  a handball on the line - e.g. McFadden against Norway - or clearing someone out with no attempt to play the ball.

The problem is if you go down the "accidental" route, then you have "clever" players doing like clipping someone's heels or getting legs tangled up deliberately and claiming it was an accident.

I think where the law is right now it's struck the right balance as things like mistimed tackles and the like aren't given a mandatory red and football is the better for that - it was getting to the stage where players were reluctant to make any sort of challenge in the box.

There will be some occasions like yesterday where players are hard done by but if they were to take the sanction away from challenges like that, there would be a lot more "injustices" as a result.

However, anyone trying to rewrite or interpret the laws as they stand to suggest that it wasn't a clear red card is completely deluded.

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

All football below the Championship suspended for three weeks.

Including the Scottish cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Championship is also suspended as all clubs are now be required to undertake weekly PCR testing to continue.

2 minutes ago, min said:

Including the Scottish cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Championship is also suspended as all clubs are now be required to undertake weekly PCR testing to continue.

Wouldn't be surprised if all football is suspended, a handy out for the authorities in the light of this Celtic stuff...