Season 20/21 - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So did construction. Can you show me entire construction businesses being stopped operating due to non-compliance with protocols? 

It’s not the same, you know that. Football is high profile, people can see what the players are doing, and it can influence their behaviour. Comparing a builder to this just doesn’t make sense. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So did construction. Can you show me entire construction businesses being stopped operating due to non-compliance with protocols? 

It's like any other regulation. Don't get caught you don't get punished. It's harder for high profile footballers to get away with breaching regulations without being noticed. Although I'm sure plenty of them will have done already.

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It’s not the same, you know that. Football is high profile, people can see what the players are doing, and it can influence their behaviour. Comparing a builder to this just doesn’t make sense. 

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's like any other regulation. Don't get caught you don't get punished. It's harder for high profile footballers to get away with breaching regulations without being noticed. Although I'm sure plenty of them will have done already.

So we all agree it's unfair and is just grandstanding then? Glad you got there in the end. 

Rules/regulations should be applied evenly and fairly, applying them more harshly to one person solely based on their profile is grossly unfair. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So we all agree it's unfair and is just grandstanding then? Glad you got there in the end. 

Rules/regulations should be applied evenly and fairly, applying them more harshly to one person solely based on their profile is grossly unfair. 

Fairness doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned. If football clubs want to keep on playing games they need to make sure their players follow the rules. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Fairness doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned. If construction firms want to keep on building they need to make sure their operatives follow the rules. 

In most cases the average brickie wont be a role model to any more than his immediate family I shouldnt think

One size doesn't fit all in this case - These clowns need jumped on from a great height

If the SPFL / clubs won't sort it I'm happy for the SG to....

Edited by Redz
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Thousands of folk use their mobiles whilst driving every day. Most of them get away with it. That doesn't mean that the ones who do get caught shouldn't be prosecuted.

Top footballers are under much more scrutiny than ordinary folk and if they get seen breaking the rules lots of folk get to find out about it. It's just part of the deal that comes with the pop star wages. 

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Thousands of folk use their mobiles whilst driving every day. Most of them get away with it. That doesn't mean that the ones who do get caught shouldn't be prosecuted.

Top footballers are under much more scrutiny than ordinary folk and if they get seen breaking the rules lots of folk get to find out about it. It's just part of the deal that comes with the pop star wages. 

Anyone with any common sense can see/understand this.

I'd suggest Parklife is just looking for any argument for arguments sake.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's a completely false equivalence. Let's stick to the actual situation, not fictitious ones. 

9 football players have broken rules, all outside a football setting. Yet an two entire businesses have been stopped from carrying out their primary business function because of it. 

Plenty people all over the country (and on every building site I've been on in the last 5 months) are breaking the guidelines agreed to allow them to return to work. Now I'm not aware of any company that's been told to stop operating. 

Since you've already admitted you don't care about fairness though, this discussion is pointless. You're happy for one industry to be held to a higher standard than others and businesses told to stop operating, all because of relatively minor breaches. 

Ill call that out as bullshit and completely unfair. 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You're claiming yourself and Orraloon are the beaters of common sense, at the same time Orraloon is claiming he doesn't care about fairness and is happy for different people and industries to be held to completely different standards? I'd suggest that's a bold standpoint.

If your only response in a discussion is to say "anyone with common sense can see..." and have a dig at someone you disagree with, probably best not to enter in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's a completely false equivalence. Let's stick to the actual situation, not fictitious ones. 

9 football players have broken rules, all outside a football setting. Yet an two entire businesses have been stopped from carrying out their primary business function because of it. 

Plenty people all over the country (and on every building site I've been on in the last 5 months) are breaking the guidelines agreed to allow them to return to work. Now I'm not aware of any company that's been told to stop operating. 

Since you've already admitted you don't care about fairness though, this discussion is pointless. You're happy for one industry to be held to a higher standard than others and businesses told to stop operating, all because of relatively minor breaches. 

Ill call that out as bullshit and completely unfair. 

You're claiming yourself and Orraloon are the beaters of common sense, at the same time Orraloon is claiming he doesn't care about fairness and is happy for different people and industries to be held to completely different standards? I'd suggest that's a bold standpoint.

If your only response in a discussion is to say "anyone with common sense can see..." and have a dig at someone you disagree with, probably best not to enter in the first place. 

It was you that brought up building sites. 

You are comparing apples and oranges though.

Just because you say construction aren't following the rules, doesn't mean we should just ignore footballers blatantly breaking them.

It's front page news - are you seriously saying the SG should ignore that? What kinda of message does that send out to folk? It needs to be clamped down on (in construction to if that's the case) but people in public eye always fall by the sword. Same as the CMO did, same as plenty of others have.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

No and No.

Rules and regulations for different groups of people under the same circumstances exist all over the place. Which is absolutely correct.

I would imagine that if any people were caught on building sites breaking the rules, and this was brought to the attention of the Scottish Goverment or the HSE then that particular site would be shut down pending an investigation.

Or if there was an outbreak that was traced back to a building site and it became apparent that the main reason for that were that the rules were being broken then I'm sure the SG would take the same action.

It's not like the Government has actively looked for footballers breaking the rules whilst simultaneously ignoring everything else.

Edited by Lion Rampant

22 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I would imagine that if any people were caught on building sites breaking the rules, and this was brought to the attention of the Scottish Goverment or the HSE then that particular site would be shut down pending an investigation.

Your imagination is very active in that case. 

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Your imagination is very active in that case. 

Not really, the HSE regularly shut down sites where there have been breaches of Health and Safety that are brought to their attention, are you suggesting this isn't the case?

I personally have seen it happen on numerous occasions, even when the HSE haven't been involved and it's been instructed by the Client's own H&S team.

Maybe you should report all the issues that you are seeing, if you haven't already done so obviously, and see what happens. It's the only way to really compare the two situations properly.

Edited by Lion Rampant

4 hours ago, Stu101 said:

I have no doubt that one of our players will fuck it up at some stage. Morelos seems too obvious though.

Ryan Kent seems the type

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not oor Parkie

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You are comparing apples and oranges though.

Just because you say construction aren't following the rules, doesn't mean we should just ignore footballers blatantly breaking them.

It's front page news - are you seriously saying the SG should ignore that? What kinda of message does that send out to folk? It needs to be clamped down on (in construction to if that's the case) but people in public eye always fall by the sword. Same as the CMO did, same as plenty of others have.

No, I'm comparing an industry that's not so much in the public eye and provides major economic output, with one that is in the public eye but provides relatively little economic output. 

Guess which one the First Minister has chosen to treat unfairly and grandstand over... 

A mountain has been made out of molehills here. There's no reason games should've been postponed this week.