Season 20/21 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Well that’s not what I said was it.  The vast majority of the current Celtic squad have proved time and time again they can win the league in Scotland (with considerable ease)They have not had a significant challenge in god knows how long. Guys like Scott Brown, James Forrest and McGregor have proved themselves over and over, they have not truly tested themselves in a top league. Edouard is far too good for the league - like Dembele before him, he has proved himself and he will move on shortly for the good of his career.

Whilst there is some truth in what you have said guys like Scott brown and forrest were never going to make it at top European clubs. Is playing for a relegation battler in the epl better than winning trophies and playing European football. Is living in Bournemouth or Brighton better than Glasgow? I would say celtic is a more attractive club to be at compared to West brom or Stoke City even though the competition is weak. Most of the celtic players who want to test themselves in the epl have gone and done that, Armstrong, Tierney etc and your van dijks etc. The likes of forrest, mcgregor etc are probably happy and settled at celtic or celtic have not received bids they think are good enough for them. I reckon if celtic received big bids for mcgregor or forrest they would sell but reality is they probably haven't. 

Has anyone ever tried to buy James forrest? or has there even been word of it? 
Brown and mcgregor I think I have maybe heard talked about before, but even at that if any of those players were actually really good, there would be chat all the time. It doesnt happen because they are big fish in a wee pond and probably wouldn't do much down south. Forrest wouldn't do anything anywhere. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Pretty certain Forrest has been linked with Liverpool and Zenit, maybe Spurs at some point. I don’t rate him, he is good maybe 5-10 games a season, and hides the rest of the time. 

He seems to be a bit more consistent for Celtic than Scotland.

He had those 2 nations league games when he was on fire and I can barely remember a contribution he’s made in his other 32 caps.

Edited by sbcmfc

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Pretty certain Forrest has been linked with Liverpool and Zenit, maybe Spurs at some point. I don’t rate him, he is good maybe 5-10 games a season, and hides the rest of the time. 

The Zenit link was ridiculous. Absolutely no chance that was an actual thing.

Anyway, I'm not a huge Forrest fan boy by any stretch, but he's probably contributed towards a hunner goals and assists in the last 3 or so seasons. At club level he's been about as consistent as you could get, especially for a winger who doesn't take any set pieces.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

20 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

The Zenit link was ridiculous. Absolutely no chance that was an actual thing.

Anyway, I'm not a huge Forrest fan boy by any stretch, but he's probably contributed towards a hunner goals and assists in the last 3 or so seasons. At club level he's been about as consistent as you could get, especially for a winger who doesn't take any set pieces.

He's been gash for Scotland so I can see why others don't rate him. Terrific player for Celtic tho. His performance against Bayern Munich a couple of years ago is one the best individual efforts I've seen from a Celtic player in recent seasons. 

Not a fan of colt teams especially if it favours teams who already hold a significant advantage.

Ive got no issues with 14 14 18 setup but not as a temporary measure. If its temporary it feels like its to save the chucky doll and her team

Edited by vanderark14

51 minutes ago, slasher said:

Can't see too much of anything wrong with them but I'm sure someone will find something to object to. Whatever they're going to do they best get on with it! 

Yeah, thats a good proposal. 

4 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

It stinks. If you haven’t got enough sides you don’t just go back to the big two and help them out by giving their kids ‘real’ games.

stretches the advantage even further.

Believe its open to other premier league clubs too, not just Rangers and Celtic.

What benefit will this be to the scottish game. I can't see much. The crowds at the colt games were frankly a bit shit.

I suppose Rantic can gain money from the colt 'old firm' game.

Seems actually very pointless. 

Edited by beardy

6 minutes ago, beardy said:

What benefit will this be to the scottish game. I can't see much. The crowds at the colt games were frankly a bit shit.

Guaranteed £3K (£4K if steaming facilities are in place) for each time they play the old firm teams before a ticket is sold, plus a split of one off fee. Not a massive amount, but better than nothing.

For me it would help to get away for the situation where if you lose 3 or 4 games in short period of time, you are facing relegation. Not condusive to good football IMO.

3 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Guaranteed £3K (£4K if steaming facilities are in place) for each time they play the old firm teams before a ticket is sold, plus a split of one off fee. Not a massive amount, but better than nothing.

For me it would help to get away for the situation where if you lose 3 or 4 games in short period of time, you are facing relegation. Not condusive to good football IMO.

If Celtic weren't interested do you think Rangers would push on regardless.

Colt teams can fuck off too. It just gives them more leverage when it comes to voting, both in terms of numbers and bribes. We all know when it comes to decision making the big two primarily will just stamp their feet and force the smaller teams into line with threats and offers of scraps. 

If they want to go to their 18 teams then there are clubs lining up outside the SPFL who would gladly make up the numbers. Teams that have probably more right to be in the setup than Rangers themselves have. 

Edited by Farcity

21 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Probably not. We know our chances of getting our proposals passed.   

So are Celtic involved in this? Do you know if Rangers have involved them or is this a unilateral proposal?

Edited by beardy

So now we are seeing why Inverness were so compliant in making an absolute cunt of themselves with their bogus threats etc. The Huns flashed a bit of leg at them and they dived right in. 

This idea is horrible. In addition to allowing them to build further influence over Scottish football, it will also allow for increased hoarding of young talent. They will widen their net, bolstering their own ranks whilst depriving other clubs, most of whom will never ever get a sniff of first team football but will still be able to be punted on. 

No doubt sky would want to televise it, giving the hardcore bigots even more of a platform. Everything about this is wrong.