Scotland v Sweden Italia 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Sweden Italia 90

Ally Bongo

On BBC Scotland tonight at 7pm

My first away game in a foreign stadium (watching the Costa Rica game in a Genoan alcohol free bar doesnt count)

I was 22 and thin

I had exams on at uni so going to Italy wasn't an option unfortunately. 

Was a Saturday night IIRC, watched it at my mate's with a few beers then went out in Killie to celebrate still sporting tartan scarf.

The last 5 minutes left me with heart palpitations that continued into the next day. Thought I was going to croak it!

Billy Bremner and Ray Wilkins in the studio. Archie macpherson commentating. Tackles flying in straight away. The Sweden top is cracking, would love to have seen a Scottish version with the colours swapped. Quite excited by this.

Was at the game ; think ive only seen highlights once since

what stands out for me is we barely touched the ball in first 10 mins ; just clattered them

lucky that aitken got brought down as he would of made a hash of his chance ; if he even made it that far

the inevitable swedish goal and the nailbiting last few minutes

brazil game was shocking tho

Was at the game - the best game/atmosphere of my adult life.

Didn't think it was a penalty then, and having just watched it after 30 years it was never, ever a penalty.

Leaving that aside, what a performance. Maurice Malpas was one great reader of a game. Thought Robert Flack (!) ran his guts out and did a power of dirty work. And Mo Johnston could fair hold a ball up well.

The Italia 90 Scotland top to this day is the one to beat.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I'm feeling as maudlin as fuck now

Never realised how good McStay was when he came on

McStay Johnston & McCoist

How times have changed

Was a crackin performance right enough, like the Swiss game at euro 96. Just getting the consistency has been our problem. That game was on a Saturday night it was said. A Scotland win at a World Cup on a hot summers Saturday night, can’t get much better.

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

euphoria of planning to go to Italy in 90, then all big mouthed mates backing out - watched it in local bar in Inverurie

Sounds a bit like us,  we were all talk no action 😄. Can remember the day of the Sweden game so well. Watched it in my mates house then onto a 21st birthday party which turned into a big Scotland sing a long.

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hope they show Roy Aitken's squad video at the start :lol:

Glad to see they did :-))

Have watched it up to McCall's goal,  Archie's commentary was driving me mental so I went to bed. Much preferred Barry Davies on the UK wide broadcast...

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Glad to see they did :-))

Have watched it up to McCall's goal,  Archie's commentary was driving me mental so I went to bed. Much preferred Barry Davies on the UK wide broadcast...

Obviously everyone has heard the story of Aitken in the tunnel as the teams were coming out - the belief is that's where the game was partly won. Even the other Scotland players were scared of him

Quisling Archie talked some pish at the start of the game - saying the party atmosphere was because the Scotland fans were sober.

I can guarantee - the massive train load of Scotland fans that came through from the South of France, that had people on the beaches we passed waving to us, were anything but sober when we reached Genoa Central

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Obviously everyone has heard the story of Aitken in the tunnel as the teams were coming out - the belief is that's where the game was partly won. Even the other Scotland players were scared of him

LET'S GET INTAE THESE BAAAASSSTTTAAAAARRRDDDDSSSS!!!!

We were based in Rimini.  A 7 hour trip to Genoa.  Murder.  But the Sweden game was brilliant.  The Costa Rica game was the worst one of my life.  If I I had me Alan (I played with Bayern) that night I might still be in jail.  Absolute imposter.  But te game against Sweden and walking below the tunnel was brilliant.

22 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Was at the game - the best game/atmosphere of my adult life.

Didn't think it was a penalty then, and having just watched it after 30 years it was never, ever a penalty.

Leaving that aside, what a performance. Maurice Malpas was one great reader of a game. Thought Robert Flack (!) ran his guts out and did a power of dirty work. And Mo Johnston could fair hold a ball up well.

The Italia 90 Scotland top to this day is the one to beat.

Nicely summed up 👍🏼
The Swedes didn’t protest at all at the penalty award. That tells me it was a stonewaller!

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

The Costa Rica game was the worst one of my life.  If I I had me Alan (I played with Bayern) that night I might still be in jail.  Absolute imposter.  

The story goes (may be apocryphal) that Roxburgh had seen their keeper was suspect at crosses so played Rambo with instructions to lump the ball into the box at any opportunity. The goalie caught every cross though.

Allegedly it was a different guy altogether that had been spied on.

The Costa Rican keeper ended up being voted one of the best in the tournament...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-world-cup-1990-was-tournament-great-goalkeeper

Edited by Toepoke

Watched the Brazil game from 98 last night.

McCoist's bleached hair and tartan tux combo :shocked:

He should've been in the squad though, we missed a penalty box talisman.

As for the game, a very unlucky break for the OG but we rode our luck elsewhere and Brazil should really have been out of sight by then. As it turned out a point would have been no use to us anyway.

Edited by Toepoke

That team was just really really poor in an attacking and creative sense. Where was our final 3rd players back then and wingers. Could we not have got a young Neil McCann In the squad at least.Didn’t he have a great season for rangers the following season? Plus Craig Burley who received player of the year that season as an attacking midfielder was shifted out wide it seemed. Christian Daily as left wing back? I know he’s a bit of a cult hero but I never really got it in terms of his ability and he certainly wasn’t a left sided wing back. Never really rated Gallacher. Durie was ok as a focal point lone striker but constantly seemed to be tracking Cafu back in the second half. After watching the Sweden game Mo Johnston was certainly better than the pair of them by the looks of it. I’d go as far to say Brown made some poor choices, sure someone mentioned fitting square pegs in round holes at tournaments.

Not great management and not great attacking players back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just today caught up with the Sweden game from Italia 90. A big moment as a nation and a deserved victory. Having been born in 1992, it's sad to say that the last World Cup win for our country wasn't even in my lifetime.

What I would say is that I noticed a massive drop off in the quality levels of the players between 86 and 90. Particularly in terms of style of play. Which I guess goes to show just how much we should have done better in 74, 78, 82 and 86.

On the side of positivity, although our football wasn't great, the performance against Sweden was a proper display of hard graft and honest players. McLeish (what a pass for Aitken for the second goal) and Levein did quite well, Johnston and Fleck led the line superbly well with very poor service and Paul McStay was superb when he came on.

Very sad to reflect that both Ray Wilkins and Billy Bremner left us so young. Fantastic to see a young Dougie Donnelly in Genoa. Final question, who was the host in the studio, John?

7 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Very sad to reflect that both Ray Wilkins and Billy Bremner left us so young. Fantastic to see a young Dougie Donnelly in Genoa. Final question, who was the host in the studio, John?

Trying to remember, was it not Jim Craig?