Your favorite music.. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your favorite music..

10 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Don't like Metal? Try these 😲

Haha. I have played my Bagpipes with a few bands in Ottawa over the years, but never that heavy.🤣. Closest I got was "Long way to the top" ACDC with my pals rock band. I also played "Chelsea Dagger" with a band on the Pipes, that was cool.. Not a metal man myself..😉

8 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Don't like Metal? Try these 😲

They were both fine till the guitar started screeching like a demented seal. 
I can manage mainstream bagpipe tunes like Scotland the Brave as I can sing along and drown out the sound 😁

I'm not really into metal either.

En route to Macedonia, we walked into a rock bar in Thessaloniki and the next song that came on was Scotland the Brave! 

We turned to the DJ and he was stood there - looking at us in our kilts - big grin on his face - giving it   :headbang:  

We got chatting. The band are German, but have released 2 albums of 'Scottish songs'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunes_of_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clans_Will_Rise_Again

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

I'm not really into metal either.

En route to Macedonia, we walked into a rock bar in Thessaloniki and the next song that came on was Scotland the Brave! 

We turned to the DJ and he was stood there - looking at us in our kilts - big grin on his face - giving it   :headbang:  

We got chatting. The band are German, but have released 2 albums of 'Scottish songs'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunes_of_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clans_Will_Rise_Again

You want to try the Peatbog Ferries. Think the spelling is correct, my apologies if not. Another is Seven Nations.. Good Bagpiping with some beat.. Another good band from here is called "Enter The Haggis". Very good if you like Pipes and guitar.. I played with them once. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. You should get 

As for me...

1st - U2

2nd - The Cure (the miserable stuff; not the pop)

3rd - Radiohead

After that? Well, the classics obviously... Stones; Beatles; Elvis; Orbison; Dylan; Led Zeppelin; Hendrix; Who; Floyd; Diamond.

What else? Kate Bush; Tori Amos; Common Linnets; Simple Minds; Slowdive; some Depeche Mode; some Twilight Sad; some My Bloody Valentine.

Whilst working from home during lockdown, I've been going through my CD collection; listening to albums, which I hadn't listened to in years.

Whilst selecting a CD from the shelf I noticed The Prodigy side-by-side with Prokofiev!!! :shocked: 

4 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

As for me...

1st - U2

3rd - Radiohead

After that? Well, the classics obviously... Stones; Beatles; Elvis; Orbison; Dylan; Led Zeppelin; Hendrix; Who; Floyd; Diamond.

What else? Kate Bush; Tori Amos; Common Linnets; Simple Minds; Slowdive; some Depeche Mode; some Twilight Sad; some My Bloody Valentine.

Whilst working from home during lockdown, I've been going through my CD collection; listening to albums, which I hadn't listened to in years.

Whilst selecting a CD from the shelf I noticed The Prodigy side-by-side with Prokofiev!!! :shocked: 

Prokofiev and The Cure are acceptable. Otherwise, total pish.

53 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

As for me...

1st - U2

3rd - Radiohead

What’s a CD?

I listen to such a mix of music. My playlist is full of classics from every decade and some absolute garbage 😂

From 60s pop,70s hard and and soft rock, metal from most decades till the late 90s, dance, hardcore, 90s indie, 80snelectronic, 80s rock, cheese rock, disco and motown. 

I dont hate any type of music but i cant get into much new stuff or hip hop. 

Similar to you, Vandy.

Britpop got me 'in to music' and listened to a lot of that when I was young. Got into Radiohead, and more American indie rock stuff when I was in my late teens/20s ; followed by post-rock stuff and Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Wheat etc.

Lo-fi electronica stuff ; classical piano - don't like the orchestra stuff - more Einaudi style.

Then in my 30s I went back and started listening to older 70s and 80s stuff - the classic stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce, James Taylor but also cheesey stuff like REO Speedwagon etc.

I basically like everything apart from hardcore metal/rave, nu-metal, gangster-rap and opera.

5 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Similar to you, Vandy.

Britpop got me 'in to music' and listened to a lot of that when I was young. Got into Radiohead, and more American indie rock stuff when I was in my late teens/20s ; followed by post-rock stuff and Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Wheat etc.

Lo-fi electronica stuff ; classical piano - don't like the orchestra stuff - more Einaudi style.

Then in my 30s I went back and started listening to older 70s and 80s stuff - the classic stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce, James Taylor but also cheesey stuff like REO Speedwagon etc.

I basically like everything apart from hardcore metal/rave, nu-metal, gangster-rap and opera.

Ive been listening to fleetwood mac alot latelt. Awesome

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My wife's favorite band of all time. Sen them 3 times. When they come to Canada, my wife sais get tickets or divorce.. 🤣. Did not realise how good Lindsey Buckingham is on guitar.. The man is brilliant..

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I think the last Euros I went through a huge Fleetwood Mac stage. They are brilliant, the early stuff, the Rumours/Tusk famous era, and newer stuff is alright too.

Never Going Back Again is a fantastic song.

Lat few years I've stuck them on a lot in the summer. Nothing better on a racking day than sticking on one of their records or playlists from Spotify and out in the sun.

He's great, Ramy. A shame he was sacked, but then again they probably would never have written those great songs without hot headed personalities.

Silver Springs written by Stevie about Lindsay wasn't meant to be on Rumours and it wasn't until the new updated version. It's one of their best songs.

Edited by weekevie04

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My wife's favorite band of all time. Sen them 3 times. When they come to Canada, my wife sais get tickets or divorce.. 🤣. Did not realise how good Lindsey Buckingham is on guitar.. The man is brilliant..

Was trying to copy and past the link but not working. Look up Lyndsey Buckingham big love acoustic. Magic

Edit. Got it to work

Edited by vanderark14

Im not into any particular band or style but one discovery I have made throughout the lockdown is Radio X. 

I never knew it existed but it just plays good tunes. They don't appear to be playing anything out of obligation.

11 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I think the last Euros I went through a huge Fleetwood Mac stage. They are brilliant, the early stuff, the Rumours/Tusk famous era, and newer stuff is alright too.

Never Going Back Again is a fantastic song.

Lat few years I've stuck them on a lot in the summer. Nothing better on a racking day than sticking on one of their records or playlists from Spotify and out in the sun.

He's great, Ramy. A shame he was sacked, but then again they probably would never have written those great songs without hot headed personalities.

Silver Springs written by Stevie about Lindsay wasn't meant to be on Rumours and it wasn't until the new updated version. It's one of their best songs.

They are far apart but ive been watching a lot of iron maiden or fleetwood mac live on youtube at weekends. Whisky and good music, awesome

I forgot to mention Bowie. Love a lot his 'arty' material (like the Berlin period) and his last two albums were great. The last song on his last album always gets me (I Can't Give Everything Away).

Weekevie mentioned Sigur Ros... Great shout. Is Hoppipolla the greatest song of all time? It's certainly stirring stuff.

Been listening to Bauhaus and Joy Division tonight. I delved both of them just a year or two ago.

I can the hear similarities between Joy Division, Bauhaus, early Cure and early U2. All four released their debut albums 1979-1980 but for all the hype, I don't think Joy Division were as good as the other three. Maybe it was more of an attitude thing, but musically? The Cure and U2 had far stronger songs when they started out.

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I play guitar and when I hear Fleetwood Mac I always think of how uncomplicated their songs sound, but my God they are wonderful songs to listen to.