Your favorite music.. - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your favorite music..

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

I play guitar and when I hear Fleetwood Mac I always think of how uncomplicated their songs sound, but my God they are wonderful songs to listen to.

I wont pretend to understand the simplicity of their music or any other music but im with you on the last sentance. 

Im watching gimme shelter by the stones right now. What a fucking song

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Im watching gimme shelter by the stones right now. What a fucking song

Funny enough I've been playing that a lot this past week (and I started learning it on guitar this week too!)

No doubt about it, what's been happening in the US this past week prompted me dig it out for a listen.

For me, it's always been the least Rolling Stones sounding song by the Rolling Stones, but I agree; what a f*cking song.

14 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Funny enough I've been playing that a lot this past week (and I started learning it on guitar this week too!)

No doubt about it, what's been happening in the US this past week prompted me dig it out for a listen.

For me, it's always been the least Rolling Stones sounding song by the Rolling Stones, but I agree; what a f*cking song.

Its probably my most played song. Great driving song and a great tune to have on when having a dram

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I wont pretend to understand the simplicity of their music or any other music but im with you on the last sentance.

I could be entirely wrong of course :D  They play stadiums and I play a bedroom; who the hell am I to judge?!?! :lol:  

I've never tried to learn any of Fleetwood Mac songs, but they are wonderful songs either way and besides, songs don't need to be complicated in order to be beautiful or great.

Example......... I'm not saying it's the greatest* guitar riff of all time, but I do think 'Satisfaction' is the definitive Rock 'N' Roll riff of all time, but here's the thing; it is unbelievably simple. A non-guitarist could learn that in 2 minutes - It's still f*cking great though  :guitar: 

*For what it's worth I think Layla or Sweet Child O'Mine are the greatest guitar riffs of all time.

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I could be entirely wrong of course :D  They play stadiums and I play a bedroom; who the hell am I to judge?!?! :lol:  

I've never tried to learn any of Fleetwood Mac songs, but they are wonderful songs either way and besides, songs don't need to be complicated in order to be beautiful or great.

Example......... I'm not saying it's the greatest* guitar riff of all time, but I do think 'Satisfaction' is the definitive Rock 'N' Roll riff of all time, but here's the thing; it is unbelievably simple. A non-guitarist could learn that in 2 minutes - It's still f*cking great though  :guitar: 

*For what it's worth I think Layla or Sweet Child O'Mine are the greatest guitar riffs of all time.

Satisfaction, gimme shelter, layla and sweet child o mine. Played at almost every party i wnet to in the mid to late 90s🍺👍🏼

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Satisfaction, gimme shelter, layla and sweet child o mine. Played at almost every party i wnet to in the mid to late 90s🍺👍🏼

You've just reminded me... Just recently, my older brother told me he went to a house party in what would have been '84 or '85 and pal of his had bought the 12" single of Pride (In The Name of Love) that day and brought it along to the party......... He then commandeered the turntable and played it on repeat for most of the night; threatening to beat f*ck out of anyone who tried to stop him :lol:

My Brother told me that he hadn't had any interest in U2 at the beginning of the night, but by the end of it, he had become quite a fan.

Edited by Rich NATA

1 hour ago, Farcity said:

Im not into any particular band or style but one discovery I have made throughout the lockdown is Radio X. 

I never knew it existed but it just plays good tunes. They don't appear to be playing anything out of obligation.

Been on that for about 5-6 years now. Moyles in the morning is nice and chilled with a few laughs to start the day, then the tunes, as you say are mostly great for the rest of it. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Been on that for about 5-6 years now. Moyles in the morning is nice and chilled with a few laughs to start the day, then the tunes, as you say are mostly great for the rest of it. 

Can you stream this radio x. Is it only in Scotland?

13 hours ago, Farcity said:

Im not into any particular band or style but one discovery I have made throughout the lockdown is Radio X. 

I never knew it existed but it just plays good tunes. They don't appear to be playing anything out of obligation.

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I quite like Radio X and have it on most days (it's on now!). It's the type of music I listen to but I do find it can become a bit samey.  You're never any more than 30 minutes away from a Liam/Noel/Oasis song and for the less prominent bands like Kooks, Wombats, Futureheads etc it's always the same songs they play.  Try giving Absolute Radio a spin.  They play pretty much the same type of music but have a "No Repeat Guarantee" so you won't hear the same song twice in the same day, which can happen on X occasionally across different DJs.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I quite like Radio X and have it on most days (it's on now!). It's the type of music I listen to but I do find it can become a bit samey.  You're never any more than 30 minutes away from a Liam/Noel/Oasis song and for the less prominent bands like Kooks, Wombats, Futureheads etc it's always the same songs they play.  Try giving Absolute Radio a spin.  They play pretty much the same type of music but have a "No Repeat Guarantee" so you won't hear the same song twice in the same day, which can happen on X occasionally across different DJs.

That’s the only down side to the station, I agree. If I do go onto absolute, it tends to be 80’s or 90’s when I’m in the van or on nightshift. 

They seem to have speeds of co Stanton pushing one of the Gallaghers/Foo Fighters/Kasabian which does get a bit tiresome, there was folk having a go at them last year when Gerry Cinamonn was played 2-3 times a day too. 

Owner of a big new construction house I’m working in just now walks in. I have Radio Scotland on. Annie Lennox is singing away. The eejit starts jigging about the job. He’s a total yokel. Rich as fuck but incredibly dumb. I tell him she’s from where I’m from. He asks where exactly(as if he could point Scotland out on a map never mind Aberdeen) so I tell him......
“Aber-fucking-where maaaaan?” he replies. 😆

Eurythmics are everywhere here. Every single boozer will have something from them on everyday. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

That’s the only down side to the station, I agree. If I do go onto absolute, it tends to be 80’s or 90’s when I’m in the van or on nightshift. 

They seem to have speeds of co Stanton pushing one of the Gallaghers/Foo Fighters/Kasabian which does get a bit tiresome, there was folk having a go at them last year when Gerry Cinamonn was played 2-3 times a day too. 

I've had it on most of the day today, mainly as I'm too lazy to get off my arse and change it, and I've heard Gerry Cinnamon 3 times (different songs).  My somewhat guilty pleasure whilst working during lockdown is Ken Bruce's PopMaster on Radio 2.  I don't think I've missed it for about 6 weeks now and I'm at the stage where I'm scheduling work calls around it and declining anything that comes in between 1030-1100!!

I've had it on most of the day today, mainly as I'm too lazy to get off my arse and change it, and I've heard Gerry Cinnamon 3 times (different songs).  My somewhat guilty pleasure whilst working during lockdown is Ken Bruce's PopMaster on Radio 2.  I don't think I've missed it for about 6 weeks now and I'm at the stage where I'm scheduling work calls around it and declining anything that comes in between 1030-1100!!

😂😂 Mr Tidy listens to that too. Infact I was late for the start of my work last week as he insisted I challenge him and I was contestant number 2 .

PM me your tel no and I will match you up with him .😁

I am more of a smooth radio person myself...

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Just tuned into 30 mins ago after reading this thread.

Good so far (apart from all the adverts). :guitar:

Very rarely miss popmaster, work stops for it every day. We have a couple of companies that know not to deliver to us at 10.30/10.50.

Absolute Radio gets put on by me but only on a Friday as Radio Scotland have that annoying, unfunny Weegie prick Des Clarke on. 

Aye, it's very much a lads, lads, lads type vibe. 6 Music for me for most of the day with a break for Popmaster.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I’ve seen entire house builds stop for pop master. Cement mixer goes off and everything 😂