Your favorite music.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your favorite music..

So, let's get to know each other a wee bit better. What's your favorite music. Gives you a better insight to who we are. I will have a go. Favorite is Scottish and Irish folk music, bagpipes obviously.  I love 80s,  U2 , Simple Minds, Big Country  etc.  , like trance, "Tiesto" like music. I fuckin hate rap, and I fuckin hate country music  with a passion.. That's me.. 🙂

Madchester music, Roses, Oasis, Monday’s etc etc

The Jam & Weller’s reincarnations, Madness, The Clash, too many others to mention

Eminem & NWA

More recent would be Catfish & The Bottlemen, Blossoms, Sam Fender, Liam & Not Noel (funnily enough)

Hate anything purely made on a computer with other people’s music and passed off as their own, which pretty much includes every DJ 🙄 in the world, it’s a load of absolute shite

I also have a massive dislike for Chris Martin, can’t pinpoint why, but he just seems like an utter cunt, but can produce a decent track, Parachutes is a fantastic album.  

“Post rock” mogwai, Godspeed you black emperor, this will destroy you, slint, tortoise, explosions in the sky 

“indie” idlewild, the smiths, neutral milk hotel, stapleton, At the drive in etc 

Loads of 90’s / 2000’s emo and hardcore punk from the US and Europe. 

I like quite a mixture I think.  My main go to would be 80s/90s Indie with bands like James, Carter USM, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays & Sleeper on the frequently listened list.  I'm a big Elvis fan and also love bands like The Doors, Bowie, The Stones, The Beatles, The Kinks and the likes from the 70s.  My main passion at the moment is Soul and I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Teddy Pendergrass, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, The Staple Singers and all that old Mowtown and Stax stuff (the Craig Charles Funk & Soul show on 6 Music is like a treasure trove for all this kind of stuff).  I've been know to listen to a bit of metal with Iron Maiden, ACDC and Metallica making numerous appearances in my CD collection as well as their softer American cousins like (early) Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Poison.  I love listening to a bit of what I would call "smoother" hip hop like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers etc and also can stick a bit of electronica on when the mood takes me such as LCD Soundsystem, Underworld or the Chemical Brothers.  And he doesn't really fit in to any of the above categories but the main one not mentioned above would be Leonard Cohen who was an absolute genius I was lucky enough to see in Glasgow back in 2008.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I like quite a mixture I think.  My main go to would be 80s/90s Indie with bands like James, Carter USM, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays & Sleeper on the frequently listened list.  I'm a big Elvis fan and also love bands like The Doors, Bowie, The Stones, The Beatles, The Kinks and the likes from the 70s.  My main passion at the moment is Soul and I'm becoming a bit obsessed with Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Teddy Pendergrass, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, The Staple Singers and all that old Mowtown and Stax stuff (the Craig Charles Funk & Soul show on 6 Music is like a treasure trove for all this kind of stuff).  I've been know to listen to a bit of metal with Iron Maiden, ACDC and Metallica making numerous appearances in my CD collection as well as their softer American cousins like (early) Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Poison.  I love listening to a bit of what I would call "smoother" hip hop like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers etc and also can stick a bit of electronica on when the mood takes me such as LCD Soundsystem, Underworld or the Chemical Brothers.  And he doesn't really fit in to any of the above categories but the main one not mentioned above would be Leonard Cohen who was an absolute genius I was lucky enough to see in Glasgow back in 2008.

I think you might have forgotten Kylie. 

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

My Mrs has 'Magic Soul' radio on non stop in the car if your into classic/modern soul music.

24 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

You might be right! It’s pretty hard to narrow down favourite music to one genre or act though!

😁 I am actually very impressed with your wide interest . 
I discount some music too quickly and probably miss a genre I could grow to like. 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Chemical Brothers. Quality. "Under The Infuence" is top drawer...

Was thinking last night the op question is like asking what  mood you prefer. Though at the moment I usually tune to radio 6 . Seems to be for middle aged farts like me and enjoy most the DJ selections . Favourites being Craig Charles and Huey from Fun Loving Criminals . A mention to enjoying what Cilian Murphy the actor plays . 
specifically growing up ‘‘twas the original The Stranglers, Gary Numan and Pink Floyd above most. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:17 PM, TDYER63 said:

😁 I am actually very impressed with your wide interest . 
I discount some music too quickly and probably miss a genre I could grow to like. 

Really?  

On 5/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, dandydunn said:

Madchester music, Roses, Oasis, Monday’s etc etc

The Jam & Weller’s reincarnations, Madness, The Clash, too many others to mention

Eminem & NWA

More recent would be Catfish & The Bottlemen, Blossoms, Sam Fender, Liam & Not Noel (funnily enough)

Hate anything purely made on a computer with other people’s music and passed off as their own, which pretty much includes every DJ 🙄 in the world, it’s a load of absolute shite

I also have a massive dislike for Chris Martin, can’t pinpoint why, but he just seems like an utter cunt, but can produce a decent track, Parachutes is a fantastic album.  

Replace computers with guitars and you've just described Oasis.

My first love was and always will be hip hop, it's been the soundtrack from my late teens right through to my mid 30's and having a kid. Lockdown has given me the chance to revisit some old classics and I can't get enough of A Tribe Called Quest, one of the greatest bands of all times. 

House and Techno also play a huge part in my life. I used to frequent The Arches and Sub Club every weekend, in fact if I could transport myself back anywhere, it would be between 2005 and 2009, out my tits listening to amazing DJ's surrounded by all my mates, up till 12 on a Sunday afternoon, it was amazing.

As I've got older I've went back in time a wee bit been listening to a lot of Roxy Music, Parliament, Neil Young, Diana Ross and John Coltrane. In short, music is fucking great.

3 hours ago, Mox said:

My first love was and always will be hip hop, it's been the soundtrack from my late teens right through to my mid 30's and having a kid. Lockdown has given me the chance to revisit some old classics and I can't get enough of A Tribe Called Quest, one of the greatest bands of all times. 

House and Techno also play a huge part in my life. I used to frequent The Arches and Sub Club every weekend, in fact if I could transport myself back anywhere, it would be between 2005 and 2009, out my tits listening to amazing DJ's surrounded by all my mates, up till 12 on a Sunday afternoon, it was amazing.

As I've got older I've went back in time a wee bit been listening to a lot of Roxy Music, Parliament, Neil Young, Diana Ross and John Coltrane. In short, music is fucking great.

Totally agree. Music is fantastic. I listen to my spotify everyday. In the motor, on my walks, just fuckin cant live without it..👍

14 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Really?  

😂😂 who would have thought , eh.

To be fair , the only music I completely refuse to listen to is heavy metal 😁 
I  am Mrs Mainstream but dont care, there are worse things in life. In my defence I like a wide variety of mainstream . 

Life would be shit without music. It stirs so many emotions and memories. I cannot listen to the Les Mis epilogue without crying. Not that I was in the French Revolution of course. I am not THAT old. 
 But music mainly makes me very happy. 

For me it also depends on the mood I'm in. When its raining I love to go for walks and listen to the likes of Capercaillie, Clannad, Moira Brennan. When the football is comin, and going on a sesh, its Oasis, Depeche Mode, the verve, Stone Roses just to get it  the mood. Except when we play rangers, it's the Rebs of course.🤣. Nice thing is my wife and have very similar taste in music as she is from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. 👍

16 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

For me it also depends on the mood I'm in. When its raining I love to go for walks and listen to the likes of Capercaillie, Clannad, Moira Brennan. When the football is comin, and going on a sesh, its Oasis, Depeche Mode, the verve, Stone Roses just to get it  the mood. Except when we play rangers, it's the Rebs of course.🤣. Nice thing is my wife and have very similar taste in music as she is from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. 👍

I am ashamed to say but I dont really like Scottish music though I dont mind the odd ceilidh,  and bagpipes give me a headache . Does Mrs Ramy like bagpipes? 

Edited by TDYER63

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am ashamed to say but I dont really like Scottish music though I dont mind the odd ceilidh,  and bagpipes give me a headache . Does Mrs Ramy like bagpipes? 

She does actually. A few times she has been out at the pub with her girlfriends, I am the designated driver, then I get the call after she has had a few "Honey, why dont you come down the pub and play your Bagpipes". I swear to god.🤣🤣. So I do, I love it...😉

50 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

She does actually. A few times she has been out at the pub with her girlfriends, I am the designated driver, then I get the call after she has had a few "Honey, why dont you come down the pub and play your Bagpipes". I swear to god.🤣🤣. So I do, I love it...😉

😂😂 you sure the barman hasn't just slipped her a free drink to get the place cleared for the night.