scotland away shirt 1988 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

scotland away shirt 1988

thesaint

Anybody know if the 1988 away shirt(the blue and yellow striped one)was ever worn against germany in the late 80s or early 90s?I can't find any match between the full teams,but was wondering if it might have been an under 21 shirt.It's long sleeved and is owned by a german internationalist who swapped it with a scotland player.Got the chance to buy it,but just would like to know its heritage,cheers.

Thanks for your reply.I was thinking the same thing.Why would Scotland have to wear the away shirt against Germany?I have seen the shirt,and it is definately a matchworn shirtJust can't figure out what game the German player swapped it in.

Was the player East or West German? That could be the key, as we played East Germany a couple of times in the late 80’s (mainly at Hampden though) but if there was a youth team game or something that could be the answer, as they wore blue kits.

12 hours ago, thesaint said:

Anybody know if the 1988 away shirt(the blue and yellow striped one)was ever worn against germany in the late 80s or early 90s?I can't find any match between the full teams,but was wondering if it might have been an under 21 shirt.It's long sleeved and is owned by a german internationalist who swapped it with a scotland player.Got the chance to buy it,but just would like to know its heritage,cheers.

the u21s game at pittodrie we definitely played in navy blue as was at the game - from memory / hazy we also played blue in the away leg in Bochum 1-1 Gerry Creaney ; Craig Brown i think threw him in for hist first game for u21s for an important game , and paid dividends - if only he was braver at full team level....

from memory we used it to play away in Yugoslavia in qualifiers for WC90 

i had the same shirt at Italy 90 as liked it better than blue one

we played Germany later in a pink top , early 2000s where we won away i recall 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Good point, forgot about this game, the third last match played by East Germany. We wore blue though...

'kin hell ; we were dire  - wonder what crowd was

i was at 1-3 friendly v egypt at pittodrie pre world cup - should of been a warning what was to come ; friendly or not

7 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

'kin hell ; we were dire  - wonder what crowd was

i was at 1-3 friendly v egypt at pittodrie pre world cup - should of been a warning what was to come ; friendly or not

Crowd was 20,868 apparently...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/scotland-v-east-germany-25-april-1990-242354/

I remember the Egypt game, shocking performance. Roxburgh allegedly read them the riot act after it.

Yep, the Cyprus and France away games too.  It'll be forever known as the Costa Rica strip though :banghead:

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I'm guessing it predates names on shirts, but do you know the number on the back?

Yes.It's number 11 on the back.Maybe the fact it is a long sleeved shirt suggests it might be from a game played in the winter.

12 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

the u21s game at pittodrie we definitely played in navy blue as was at the game - from memory / hazy we also played blue in the away leg in Bochum 1-1 Gerry Creaney ; Craig Brown i think threw him in for hist first game for u21s for an important game , and paid dividends - if only he was braver at full team level....

Just checked footage on you tube  of Yugoslavia under 21 away match in 1989.It could be from this match.They were wearing the away shirt and they all were wearing long sleeved.Wonder who the number 11 was.Couldn't see who was wearing it on the clip.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Just checked footage on you tube  of Yugoslavia under 21 away match in 1989.It could be from this match.They were wearing the away shirt and they all were wearing long sleeved.Wonder who the number 11 was.Couldn't see who was wearing it on the clip.

Mad that footage of that exists!

If you had the Yugo's number 11 shirt it might be worth a bit more. What a team! Almost all of them went on to be superstars, and a couple played in Scotland too.

Interestingly 2 of Killie's 1997 cup winning team played on opposing sides...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/yugoslavia-v-scotland-05-september-1989-258186/

If I were to guess I'd say Scott Nisbet was wearing number 11 for Scotland. 

Doesn't really corroborate with the story that it was swapped with a German international though!

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Mad that footage of that exists!

If you had the Yugo's number 11 shirt it might be worth a bit more. What a team! Almost all of them went on to be superstars, and a couple played in Scotland too.

Interestingly 2 of Killie's 1997 cup winning team played on opposing sides...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/yugoslavia-v-scotland-05-september-1989-258186/

If I were to guess I'd say Scott Nisbet was wearing number 11 for Scotland. 

Doesn't really corroborate with the story that it was swapped with a German international though!

Yes.I was really surprised to see that the footage was available.Doesn't matter too much who wore the shirt.Its rarity comes from the fact that it was long sleeved.I've never seen one before in that shirt.It's definately official matchworn,as you can tell with the number on the back.The way the stripes at the back of the shirt stop at either side of the number,and it's not just a number put over a regular shirt.Still don't know why it is a German internationalist that provided it though.

Yes.I was really surprised to see the footage was available.Doesn't matter too much who wore the shirt.It's rarity comes from the fact it was long sleeved.I've never seen one before in that shirt.It's definatelyofficial matchworn,as you can tell with the number on the back.The way the stripes at the back of the shirt stop at either side of the number,and it's not just a number  put over a regular shirt.Still don't know why it is a German internationalist that provide it though.