Football Rivalries. Who would you go see.. - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football Rivalries. Who would you go see..

46 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

I always enjoyed going over to Huddersfield. Living in South Bradford  we just got on the bus . As the route went through Wyke and brighouse it became quite a journey ha ha. My first ever away game was watching Bradford City at Huddersfield. Compared to Valley Parade Leeds road was Gigantic. A ground I was quite fond of although I can't remember watching city ever win there.

Were you there (Valley Parade that is) by any chance the last game of the 1983 season? We'd just won promotion & took (depending on who you believe) anything up to 10,000 across. I've been to plenty of games where violence either happened or was threatened, but I can't ever remember such an intense atmosphere of hatred anywhere. City had a notorious firm (The Ointment) who were out in force & there were significant numbers of City fans who spent the entire game trying to get into our end & cause mayhem. There was a bloke - an absolute tank - just to the right of us & when the Police moved in to nick him it took about half a dozen of them a good 15 minutes to get him out of the ground...he was absolutely lacing into them. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they got him back to the station :D

Edited by Huddersfield

48 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Were you there (Valley Parade that is) by any chance the last game of the 1983 season? We'd just won promotion & took (depending on who you believe) anything up to 10,000 across. I've been to plenty of games where violence either happened or was threatened, but I can't ever remember such an intense atmosphere of hatred anywhere. City had a notorious firm (The Ointment) who were out in force & there were significant numbers of City fans who spent the entire game trying to get into our end & cause mayhem. There was a bloke - an absolute tank - just to the right of us & when the Police moved in to nick him it took about half a dozen of them a good 15 minutes to get him out of the ground...he was absolutely lacing into them. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they got him back to the station :D

I never went to the game. We set off but there were town fans everywhere so didn't bother I just stayed in the pub. I don't know the actual figure but it must have been the biggest away following ever at Valley Parade. I did actually attend a couple of the Bradford derbies although they are faint memories I do remember they were fighting in lumps.

13 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

I never went to the game. We set off but there were town fans everywhere so didn't bother I just stayed in the pub. I don't know the actual figure but it must have been the biggest away following ever at Valley Parade. I did actually attend a couple of the Bradford derbies although they are faint memories I do remember they were fighting in lumps.

It was a manic day. Loads of us went across on double decker buses & felt a bit like sitting ducks at times. I still know a few of Town's 'top lads' from that era (not blokes you'd mess with even nowadays most of them) & I've heard a few of them say that along with maybe the likes of Millwall, they were always wary of the Ointment as they had some absolute psychos in & amongst them. I think there's a book somewhere or other that one of their lads wrote.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

It was a manic day. Loads of us went across on double decker buses & felt a bit like sitting ducks at times. I still know a few of Town's 'top lads' from that era (not blokes you'd mess with even nowadays most of them) & I've heard a few of them say that along with maybe the likes of Millwall, they were always wary of the Ointment as they had some absolute psychos in & amongst them. I think there's a book somewhere or other that one of their lads wrote.

I remember the book launch as I used to go in the Northern pub on Halifax Road and that's where they held. I knew/know a few of the original Ointment and to say some of them were Psycho was spot on. Over the years I have met so many people who say they were related to someone who was in the Ointment that there must have been hundreds of them. Away days in the early 80s were always eventful no matter where you went. It is always quite funny looking back at those times but I am glad they are over.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, Huddersfield said:

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to work out how the hell you could do an overhead backheel so I googled it...that was definitely some goal!

same, pretty sure it's more of a scorpian kick but a belter either way