Football Rivalries. Who would you go see.. - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football Rivalries. Who would you go see..

3 hours ago, C2405 said:

Before the Hills, played with Kitty at under 21's, Bathgate Utd. Billy Hume was coach at Bathgate when I went there, I'm certain you'll know the name.

Kitty was one tough cookie. Billy Hume was related to me. Married to an auntie in law or something like that. So knew billy well. He played with Birmingham City. Died quite young billy. Friends with kitty on fb and he always posting teams from the past. Did u ever know  Tommy Gibb? He still holds the record for consecutive games for Newcastle. I think it was 171 or 172. Won the fairs cup in 1969. That is the last trophy they won. Good to hear from u

1 hour ago, C2405 said:

I'm afraid I never knew Tommy, only heard a couple of 'Dale guys I know speak about him.

Aye.  A great guy.  We did a tribute to him at a st Andrews night.  Craig Brown arrived as he played with him at Partick.  Also, Billy Ritchie who played there also at the same time.  Newcastle sent up some stuff for it. Fond memories !!

8 hours ago, C2405 said:

If I remember rightly did Billy Ritchie not start out at Bathgate.

Yes he did.  I worked with him at Motherwell College for many years.  He taught there after he left Rangers.  Gave him a lift in sometimes.  Very humble guy.  Right, I will ask you a question.  Who was captain of Armadale for 10 years, went on to manage Hearts and assistant to Ally McLeod at Argentina?   No googling!!

On 5/25/2020 at 7:51 PM, Jersey Jim said:

Remember seeing something on telly about a couple of season ticket  Blackburn fans who lived in Burnley.

To get to that game at they had to drive to Blackburn early doors and get on an official supporters coach as the police wouldn’t allow any away fans entry if they never travelled on those coaches.

After the game had to get the coach back to Blackburn then drive home to Burnley.

they only lived 400 yards away from Turf Moor, mental 

They do the same with Cardiff and Swansea. I know of one Swansea fan who lives on Sloper Road (directly opposite Cardiff City Stadium) and for the derby back in January he managed to get a ticket but they made him go to Swansea, get the supporters bus to Cardiff and back then make his own way back to Cardiff again. Swansea is about an hour's drive or so from Cardiff so he was away about 8 in the morning. He could've walked across the road in his slippers at 10 to 12. There were other Cardiff based Swans fans who were successful in the ballot but ended up not going either because they had no way of making that trip or just because of the hassle of doing it. Ridiculous.

As has been said, if Glasgow's finest can handle 60k at Parkhead when Rangers visit it seems a bit of a cop out and wholly unnecessary when CCS holds little over half as many (and only 28.5k attended that day).

And the game was shite.

Anyway, as for the question....

Ive been fortunate enough to attend a few derbies in my time - Celtic v Rangers, County v Caley, Hibs v Hearts, Cardiff v Swansea and West Ham v Millwall (tasty and massive riots outside between the ground and Upton Park tube station, Millwall are absolute fucking animals!) and of course Scotland v England at both Hampden and Wembley. Have to say the atmosphere at all of them is pretty special.

I'd love to do the following:

1. River Plate/Boca
  2. El Classico
  3. Revierderby (preferably at whatever they call the Westfalen these days)
  4. Galatasaray/Fenerbahçe
  5. Red Star/Partizan

Reckon most of the Eastern European or Greek ones would be amazing tbh, they just seem so fucking mental when it comes to supporting their team. Turin, Rome or Milan derbies would also be worth seeing I reckon.

Was once offered a ticket for Man U v Man City (back in the late 1990s or early 2000s before City started buying up trophies) but to be honest not many of the English ones excite me that much, everything just seems so sterile in England now - I don't mean I want to see violence or anything (so why go to West Ham v Millwall I hear you ask 😂😂) but it just all seems to be bums on seats and polite applause at most of these games now particularly in the Premier League with derbies just producing slightly raised volumes of applause from time to time. Perhaps someone who's been to Man U v Man City, Liverpool v Everton or Arsenal v Spurs will tell me I'm wrong in which case I'll bow to their superior knowledge, but I just don't see it. I genuinely feel the Championship (which I regularly attend these days) and lower leagues have much more passion surrounding the games than the Premier.

One thing the return to football in Germany has proved however, is that without the fans the derbies have very little that is special about them. If it's true when they say that it's the fans that make football what it is, then it's especially true that they make the derbies what they are.

Trying to think of ones I've been to as a neutral but not been to many derbies.

Birmingham 2-Wolves 0 (not a real derby) but it was 1st vs 2nd and I was working down there so went along. O'Connor scored and faddy was an unused sub I think,

Hearts 5 - Hibs 1 - Got a tickets through a mate who worked at Hibs, so there were actually 4 Killie fans sitting with the players families that day!

Been to quite a few derbies in the Ayrshire Juniors - Ladeside--Beith being the highlight!

1 hour ago, C2405 said:

Without Google, no chance. Phone a friend, all things Armadale, Hibs and Scotland the man is John Hagart.

Correct. I invited him through for a st Andrew's night. One of the finest speakers I ever met. I heard a story about him once in the scottish at whitburn. He scored and banged his fist on the goal line. I played there and scored and that was the first thing I did. Big crowds there in those days as well. Aye sadly I heard he passed away a few years ago. We (the sons of wallace) paid a taxi from his house and a taxi home. He wouldn't accept any payment. Legend. Some stories about Argentina and ally McLeod. Night before  the Peru game john asked him if he had any details on Peru..  McLeod said no. They will be hopeless!!!

Boca v River would be class as would Juve v Inter (the derby of Italy I believe they call it).

At International level some of the huge South American rivalries interest me. Would fancy seeing Brazil v Argentina or Argentina v Uruguay in person.

16 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Boca v River would be class as would Juve v Inter (the derby of Italy I believe they call it).

At International level some of the huge South American rivalries interest me. Would fancy seeing Brazil v Argentina or Argentina v Uruguay in person.

Or Scotland England?

14 minutes ago, C2405 said:

Was that Harthill Royal Bar amateurs before they dropped the Bar to go into the junior leagues. Did they win the Lothian Premiership that year ?

Yes we did. We had to go to Telman star and win. And win we did. Some night that was in harthill!! Yes they went junior after that. I resigned with armadale.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, Farcity said:

Boca v River

Red Star v Partizan 

Galatasaray v Fenerbahce

Feyenoord v Ajax

Hajduk v Dinamo. 

Been an Ajax season card holder on and off for last 17 years and sadly for last 10 years the Feyenoord v Ajax has lost it's shine for me as no away fans allowed. My first ever Ajax game over here was v Feyenoord in 2003 when Van Der Vaart scored with outrageous overhead back heeler. Atmosphere before game was plain crazy with fans trying to get at each other through riot police cordon. Sadly those days are no longer

22 minutes ago, amsterdam scot said:

Been an Ajax season card holder on and off for last 17 years and sadly for last 10 years the Feyenoord v Ajax has lost it's shine for me as no away fans allowed. My first ever Ajax game over here was v Feyenoord in 2003 when Van Der Vaart scored with outrageous overhead back heeler. Atmosphere before game was plain crazy with fans trying to get at each other through riot police cordon. Sadly those days are no longer

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to work out how the hell you could do an overhead backheel so I googled it...that was definitely some goal!

I'd definitely like to get to an England-Scotland game one of these times, but I think I'd love to see one of the really mad derby games around the world. I have a mate who watches Polish football a lot & reckons some of the derby games there (even lower division ones) can be well worth watching. Plus maybe some of the South American ones.

A lot of derby games though that are under the radar can be good to see (as others have mentioned). Our away games at Bradford were always a bit tasty to say the least, especially back in the 80s.

2 hours ago, amsterdam scot said:

Awww bummer. That's crap. Would've been awesome though. You need that edge to make a fixture and removing away fans just kills it. 

21 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I'd definitely like to get to an England-Scotland game one of these times, but I think I'd love to see one of the really mad derby games around the world. I have a mate who watches Polish football a lot & reckons some of the derby games there (even lower division ones) can be well worth watching. Plus maybe some of the South American ones.

A lot of derby games though that are under the radar can be good to see (as others have mentioned). Our away games at Bradford were always a bit tasty to say the least, especially back in the 80s.

I always enjoyed going over to Huddersfield. Living in South Bradford  we just got on the bus . As the route went through Wyke and brighouse it became quite a journey ha ha. My first ever away game was watching Bradford City at Huddersfield. Compared to Valley Parade Leeds road was Gigantic. A ground I was quite fond of although I can't remember watching city ever win there.

Edited by hoofitharder
Spelling mistake