Football Rivalries. Who would you go see.. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football Rivalries. Who would you go see..

More free time. So you have the chance to attend any football rivalry in the world. Who would you go see.. Celtic v Rangers? Galatasaray v Fenerbace? Real Madrid v Barcelona? Roma v Lazio? Man U v Man City? Millwall v West Ham? Porto v Benfica just to name.a.few. For me? Boca Juniors v River Plate. I have seen highlights, and watched a couple matches on TV. That atmosphere is out of this world. I would love to attend this match if I had the opportunity.. So, that is your question. Who would you go and see. There are many, many I have not mentioned.. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:
  1. Boca v River
  2. Barca v Real
  3. Milan v Inter
  4. Dortmund v Bayern
  5. Red Star v Partizan

Love to see those games, good guys at home, bad guys away 😂

Seen highlights of Red Star v Partizan. Looks like the entire stadium on fire. Absolute mental. 😳

saw Willie Millers first game in charge as manager ; Aberdeen v Cove Rangers at Pittodrie in Aberdeenshire Cup early 90s - Theo Ten Caat was in line up -altho mostly a 2nd XI - think was 5-0

aside from that most recent one was Calgary v Edmonton last year ; which they bill as a derby - as both from Alberta (3 hr drive btwn cities) 

cant decide out of both of these which one was most underwhelming

I have been to Port Vale v Stoke and I can tell you its is a very tense affair at Vale Park. Also seen then play at the old Victoria Ground which was intense. Seen Man Utd v Man City. The one where Keane was sent off. Also been to Man Utd v Liverpool which was pretty lame. As for games I would like to attend then there are too many to mention but to name a few

Milwall v West Ham.

Partizan v Red Star

Any of the Athens Derbies involving the main teams.

12 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Been to Blackburn v Burnley, St Mirren v Morton and Port Glasgow v Greenock as well as Celtic against both forms of Rangers. Blackburn v Burnley is a proper derby.

If I could pick another to see it would be the Belgrade version.

One of my ex employees in Scotland was from Burnley, he was only a wee guy, but by fuck did he hate Blackburn with an absolute passion. He told me a few stories, and it sounded like WWIII when they played 😳

47 minutes ago, kumnio said:

One of my ex employees in Scotland was from Burnley, he was only a wee guy, but by fuck did he hate Blackburn with an absolute passion. He told me a few stories, and it sounded like WWIII when they played 😳

Aye the tales from the pre premier league days are mental. The bubble matches they have now have diluted that a bit now though.

When I went to Turf Moor, for a 12.30 kick off, the buses left from outside Ewood Park around 9am (for a 12 mile journey) with a police convoy up the motorway then on arrival they had steel fences, that wouldn't have looked out of place in 1970s Belfast, separating the fans.

Was a bit of a long day and it puts many of the regular fans off from going but I still enjoyed it as a one off.

7 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Aye the tales from the pre premier league days are mental. The bubble matches they have now have diluted that a bit now though.

When I went to Turf Moor, for a 12.30 kick off, the buses left from outside Ewood Park around 9am (for a 12 mile journey) with a police convoy up the motorway then on arrival they had steel fences, that wouldn't have looked out of place in 1970s Belfast, separating the fans.

Was a bit of a long day and it puts many of the regular fans off from going but I still enjoyed it as a one off.

Remember seeing something on telly about a couple of season ticket  Blackburn fans who lived in Burnley.

To get to that game at they had to drive to Blackburn early doors and get on an official supporters coach as the police wouldn’t allow any away fans entry if they never travelled on those coaches.

After the game had to get the coach back to Blackburn then drive home to Burnley.

they only lived 400 yards away from Turf Moor, mental 

15 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Remember seeing something on telly about a couple of season ticket  Blackburn fans who lived in Burnley.

To get to that game at they had to drive to Blackburn early doors and get on an official supporters coach as the police wouldn’t allow any away fans entry if they never travelled on those coaches.

After the game had to get the coach back to Blackburn then drive home to Burnley.

they only lived 400 yards away from Turf Moor, mental 

Aye heard a few stories like that. Bit of a cop out from East Lancs police to be honest. If Police Scotland can handle Celtic v rangers with 3x the crowd then this shouldn't be necessary.

Following on from the world football thread.

Hartlepool v Darlington sounds like it would be tasty. 😂

I’ve been at a couple of old firms and didn’t think they lived up to the hype. Maybe as I had no investment in the teams and was working? Would’ve liked to experience it as an away fan (in the 8000 away support days) to see if it was any better.

Would like to see a game in South America, the Boca v River just looks insane. Likewise some of the Eastern European ones with all the Pyro etc.

8 hours ago, C2405 said:

Bathgate.

Good man.  I signed for the Dale at 19.  Tore knee ligaments not long after. Went amateur with Harthill for a few years then signed again for Armadale.  Knee was buggered by that time.  Ended up with Blacburn under Kit Dunnigan, but by that time I could even train.  What era did you play?  When the Hills had them?  Colin Fowler?