Steelmen - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

37 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

A friend of mine lives up north and the postage was probably a bit more than for the central belt, but was free  for purchases over £10 . So he bought 3 copies , he reckoned it was better value and support just to buy 3 books than pay the postage . 

This is a type of bulk buying I can get on board with 🤣

6 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Nobody gives a fuck

Nice.  Watching Andy Chung live.  When I used to book him for the Renfrew Ferry before a Hampden game with hundreds of supporters there and we gave the profits to charity.  Alzhiemers mainly.  People gave a fuck then kid.

5 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Nice.  Watching Andy Chung live.  When I used to book him for the Renfrew Ferry before a Hampden game with hundreds of supporters there and we gave the profits to charity.  Alzhiemers mainly.  People gave a fuck then kid.

What has the above  post got to do with the post Dennys Yard was referring to about a wannabe assistant commercial manager of Albion Rovers called Max and 6 bottles of  wine in San Marino ???

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

What has the above  post got to do with the post Dennys Yard was referring to about a wannabe assistant commercial manager of Albion Rovers called Max and 6 bottles of  wine in San Marino ???

You keep this up, and he wont be meeting you behind the bike shed.

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Are you Basta then?

Edited by bonzo

8 hours ago, bonzo said:

Are you Basta then?

Hi Bonzo.  Let me explain before I get too pished.  Big Pete, Don Lawson and BASTA started the gigs at the Renfew Ferry.  But Petes idea was to let all the TA's have a go to raise money for the clubs and also for charity.  We (Armadale Sons of Wallace) ran the second one which was brilliant.  The 3rd one was run by the Perth TA and I cant remember the name of the guy.  John???  But then BASTA ran it after that and I helped out with organising and doing MC sometimes.

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Hi Bonzo.  Let me explain before I get too pished.  Big Pete, Don Lawson and BASTA started the gigs at the Renfew Ferry.  But Petes idea was to let all the TA's have a go to raise money for the clubs and also for charity.  We (Armadale Sons of Wallace) ran the second one which was brilliant.  The 3rd one was run by the Perth TA and I cant remember the name of the guy.  John???  But then BASTA ran it after that and I helped out with organising and doing MC sometimes.

Nobody gives a fuck.

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Lovely. U keep to sweeping out your yard kid. I will engage with friends and folk on here who are smarter than the average bear. If u pardon the h.. I mean pun.

The world doesn't revolve around you and not every thread has to be about you. So why don't you take your narcissistic, condescending wank chat to fuck? 

Some people on here showing the Bile again.  And the hatred continues.  Good job there are good people on here as well who know each other and honest.  Nice wee comment from the man (or woman) that boycotts the TAMB until something comes up his/her humf and starts the personal abuse again.  Lovely.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, TDYER63 said:

A friend of mine lives up north and the postage was probably a bit more than for the central belt, but was free  for purchases over £10 . So he bought 3 copies , he reckoned it was better value and support just to buy 3 books than pay the postage . 

FFS, if I’d known that I’d have saved a few quid and waited till the next time me and yer wee brer went up to Wick to see Academy and hoovered up his spare copies 😂

12 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

FFS, if I’d known that I’d have saved a few quid and waited till the next time me and yer wee brer went up to Wick to see Academy and hoovered up his spare copies 😂

Is that where his bibles went ? 

23 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Book arrived today Slasher.

Off work for a few days now, going to be warm tomorrow, so shall have a few beers sit in the garden and enjoy your scriptures👍

Enjoy the sun JJ..... and the book of course 😎

Just a wee update. Sales are ticking away nicely, now nudging the 700 mark. I had an interview with the local press today and my ugly mug should be in the paper next week. Beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do for now. Time to take a break from it and ponder my next move, after all I'm back to work next week 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first shop order the other day. Just the wee post office in Craigneuk. I gave them 10 copies this morning and they sold out by lunchtime. The guy wants another 50! Buzzing! Or at least I would be if I wasn't a week in to a month long self imposed alcohol ban. I need it after the amount of vino calypso I sunk during lockdown 🤪🍷

On 5/26/2020 at 10:09 AM, Parklife said:

The world doesn't revolve around you and not every thread has to be about you. So why don't you take your narcissistic, condescending wank chat to fuck? 

It widnae be so bad if a shred of his made up bollocks was true instead of rifling through other folks lives to pretend he’s them. 

Slasher, I’m buying it. Teeko was on about it to me and if you can hook that uncultured bastard then I’m betting your book is top stuff. 😂👍

Edit: Bought it there. 👍

Edited by WCTA

@slasher Finished your book, enjoyed it! As someone who works 12 hour shifts in a factory in EK I recognised a lot of the traits in the characters, particularly when it came to the long weekends off! 

Well done, I look forward to your next one! 👍🏼

20 hours ago, slasher said:

Got my first shop order the other day. Just the wee post office in Craigneuk. I gave them 10 copies this morning and they sold out by lunchtime. The guy wants another 50! Buzzing! Or at least I would be if I wasn't a week in to a month long self imposed alcohol ban. I need it after the amount of vino calypso I sunk during lockdown 🤪🍷

That is brilliant. No wonder you are buzzing.
I finished the book at the weekend. Here are my thoughts. 

I enjoyed it.  I thought you really brought the characters to life .  I also felt the characters‘ personalities and lifestyle were relevant to many working class industries like shipbuilding , mining , engineering etc,  so.you could increase your sales by promoting the book in areas that employed people in these heavy industries. 
I thought the book flowed well and was humorous, I laughed out loud a few times. Social clubs and discos were all part of  my growing up and I found it quite nostalgic as I could identify with these.  It could easily have been based in Paisley.

If I was to offer constructive criticism I would have liked Thatcher to get more of a boot in the baws  but realise the book was primarily about the people and not the politics.

The narrator used the word ‘fuck’ a lot, and I am not sure whether or not this was overused,  but on the flip side I realise this is an accurate description of how the workers spoke and was important for authenticity. 

I thought you got the technical balance of the job about right. Enough to give the reader a bit of an insight into what went on but not enough to detract from the characters. 

I think it was great for a first book. At no point was I struggling to stick with it. 
Were the characters based on specific people you worked with or just created loosely around the types of people in the industry ? 

19 hours ago, McTeeko said:

@slasher Finished your book, enjoyed it! As someone who works 12 hour shifts in a factory in EK I recognised a lot of the traits in the characters, particularly when it came to the long weekends off! 

Well done, I look forward to your next one! 👍🏼

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That is brilliant. No wonder you are buzzing.
I finished the book at the weekend. Here are my thoughts. 

I enjoyed it.  I thought you really brought the characters to life .  I also felt the characters‘ personalities and lifestyle were relevant to many working class industries like shipbuilding , mining , engineering etc,  so.you could increase your sales by promoting the book in areas that employed people in these heavy industries. 
I thought the book flowed well and was humorous, I laughed out loud a few times. Social clubs and discos were all part of  my growing up and I found it quite nostalgic as I could identify with these.  It could easily have been based in Paisley.

If I was to offer constructive criticism I would have liked Thatcher to get more of a boot in the baws  but realise the book was primarily about the people and not the politics.

The narrator used the word ‘fuck’ a lot, and I am not sure whether or not this was overused,  but on the flip side I realise this is an accurate description of how the workers spoke and was important for authenticity. 

I thought you got the technical balance of the job about right. Enough to give the reader a bit of an insight into what went on but not enough to detract from the characters. 

I think it was great for a first book. At no point was I struggling to stick with it. 
Were the characters based on specific people you worked with or just created loosely around the types of people in the industry ? 

Thank you for the feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated. If you are able plz fire a review on Amazon for me. 

To answer your question Tidy, all the characters are based on folk I worked with and real events. I have obviously changed names and also conflated some of their characteristics so that no one reads it and identifies themselves. They may recognise certain traits or events but think I've altered other factors around them so as not to make certain individuals instantly recognisable.

I've noticed that the 'fuck' count is down in the couple of chapters I've written in the follow up...... I'll need to up my game lol 😂

Anyway thanks again! 

Ps local press I did should be out today 👍

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Thank you for the feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated. If you are able plz fire a review on Amazon for me. 

To answer your question Tidy, all the characters are based on folk I worked with and real events. I have obviously changed names and also conflated some of their characteristics so that no one reads it and identifies themselves. They may recognise certain traits or events but think I've altered other factors around them so as not to make certain individuals instantly recognisable.

I've noticed that the 'fuck' count is down in the couple of chapters I've written in the follow up...... I'll need to up my game lol 😂

Anyway thanks again! 

Ps local press I did should be out today 👍

No problem. Will put a review on if I can reduce it to less than 200 words. You might have noticed but summarising is not my strong point 😁

Thanks for confirming re the characters. I went to a book launch that Christopher Brookmyre had in Sloans pub a few years ago. I asked him the same question about another book he had written which I found very funny. A Tale Etched In Blood and Hard Black Pencil .
The story moved from a present day murder to the past when the characters were at school together. The characters were so real I asked if they were based on real people. He said they were based on characters from schools he was at growing up in Barrhead. Often the best characters are those based on real people. 
It is well worth a read if you havent read it. 

Good luck with the press article !