Harry's Heroes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wondering what a Scottish version would look like - Kenny Dalgish or Graeme Souness as manager with a team of ex-players that go on a tour and see if they can win 2 games out of 3 that in theory would qualify for knockout stages. Just to prove it could be done without the pressure of actually qualifying! I'm sure there would be a few players that would provide good entertainment value... 

Watched a bit, cringing after 5 mins, panders to the brexit mob/those Johnny foreigners don’t like it up em. And of course the predictable just shite banter you get between English folk. 

Yet it’s prime time viewing in Scotland, in the words of Arry Redknapp it can “fac oaff“

9 hours ago, JECK said:

Watched a bit, cringing after 5 mins, panders to the brexit mob/those Johnny foreigners don’t like it up em. And of course the predictable just shite banter you get between English folk. 

Yet it’s prime time viewing in Scotland, in the words of Arry Redknapp it can “fac oaff“

Aye but they did take the piss out of

themselves and come out with a few old stories. Quite enjoyed it even with the predictable parts,  but seeing the likes of McAvennie,  Coisty, Faddy,  Andy Goram,  on a jaunt would make for good viewing

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

I genuinely can not fathom out why this man is deemed to be “likeable”

He's probably got a good agent that gets him into TV and radio with alarming frequency.  Let's face it,  he's then up against some of the younger c-list TV personalities these days like I'm a Celebrity where even he stands out. Anyway the program was also about the team so that made it interesting to me rather than Redknapp. Just wish Scottish TV would do something similar.. 

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

I genuinely can not fathom out why this man is deemed to be “likeable”

is english football not littered with 'loveable rogues' wide boys, geezers etc ; el tel , dave basset etc, guy from leyton orient - jimmy greaves probably fits into that category too , although i could never stand the guy

I really enjoyed the program. Not a fan of Redknapp but the program was more about the players. We had a group of us on a golf trip in Dumfries last year and Paul Merson turned up at breakfast. As he was on his own.he asked if he could join us and was chatting away like we were his mates. Really nice bloke and I think he came across that way on the program. 

Knew it would he unpopular on here but I enjoyed it myself. I didn't find anyone on it too dislikeable apart from Michael Owen and quite enjoyed hearing their old stories of what the dressing rooms were like etc. I like Merson and Le Tissier in particular, and thought they were great players when I was a kid.

Suppose that means I'm failing in my duties as a Scotland fan but that's something I'll just have to live with.

13 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Well with all the repeats of the missed penalties,  the San Marino goal that knocked them out of 94 WC and playing a French naturist team I think it was actually good viewing for Scots. 

Holland finished two points ahead of them in that group so the goal made no difference in the end

6 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Suppose that means I'm failing in my duties as a Scotland fan but that's something I'll just have to live with.

Plenty of Scotland fans have got time for English players, doesn't mean we're supporting them when they wear the white shirts though.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:46 PM, Terry Munro said:

Knew it would he unpopular on here but I enjoyed it myself. I didn't find anyone on it too dislikeable apart from Michael Owen and quite enjoyed hearing their old stories of what the dressing rooms were like etc. I like Merson and Le Tissier in particular, and thought they were great players when I was a kid.

Theres only 2 or 3 people saying they didnt like it. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:10 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

is english football not littered with 'loveable rogues' wide boys, geezers etc ; el tel , dave basset etc, guy from leyton orient - jimmy greaves probably fits into that category too , although i could never stand the guy

I wasn't a fan either but "Greavsie" at least had a self-deprecating sense of humour (can you imagine Redknapp appearing on programmes like Fantasy Football and They Think It's All Over taking the piss out of himself?).

Redknapp, on the other hand, isn't particularly warm, rarely comes across as witty, and just seems full of himself. He's Del Boy with a sense of humour bypass and a better car (probably). Maybe he is different privately but the more I see of him the less I like him.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:46 PM, Terry Munro said:

Merson and Le Tissier were both excellent players. Le Tissier at his peak was the kind of player you'd pay money just to watch.

I feel sorry for younger people who don't have those memories of them and just know them as awful pundits on Sky Sports!

"Isn't particularly warm"?? Don't think that was the point of the programme but the players seemed to want to play for him. He comes across to me as pretty thick but he has been successful as a manager and it was the players - with all their frailties - that came across in the show,  as it was supposed to. Le Tissier and Merson were likeable and great players whereas Ruddock looked like he was on a self destruct mission. 

Edited by gkm_vancouver