Craigie Broon's Backroom Team - Names to Faces - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Craigie Broon's Backroom Team - Names to Faces

ErsatzThistle

Stewart Hillis on the far right (think he passed away fairly recently)

Team Doctor who had been with Scotland since year dot right up to 2010.

Was Team Doctor at Clydebank and Rangers (think he ended up taking the brunt of the abuse for Daniel Prodan, after Murray rushed through the deal before he could be checked out for fitness).

Think the one who looks like a younger version of Hillis is Dr John MacLean, who has been chairing a lot of the SFA Covid-19 press releases of late, and next to him is former kit man Stewart McMillan (probably best remembered for dying his fair red when Faddy was doing the mohawk style in 2003ish)

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Stewart Hillis on the far right (think he passed away fairly recently)

Team Doctor who had been with Scotland since year dot right up to 2010.

Was Team Doctor at Clydebank and Rangers (think he ended up taking the brunt of the abuse for Daniel Prodan, after Murray rushed through the deal before he could be checked out for fitness).

Think the one who looks like a younger version of Hillis is Dr John MacLean, who has been chairing a lot of the SFA Covid-19 press releases of late, and next to him is former kit man Stewart McMillan (probably best remembered for dying his fair red when Faddy was doing the mohawk style in 2003ish)

Stewart McMillan, known to all and sundry as Omar, was also a Masseur as well as kit man, he worked with Craig Brown when he was at Clyde.   In addition to that he was absolutely loaded so the football was something of a hobby for him.   I'm not sure exactly what his main line of business was but someone told me once that he held the UK rights for the Reebok brand and so got a royalty on any piece of Reebok gear sold in the UK.   

I had a long conversation with him once as he was sitting directly in front of me on a flight to Seattle once - I was going there for work and he was on holiday with his wife, who IIRC was a bit of a babe.   I think he was a bit taken aback that a. I recognised him and b. I knew his name.

This was a couple of months after the game in Prague in June 1999 when we'd been 2- up and lost 3-2.   He absolutely caned Paul Ritchie and put the blame for that defeat squarely at his feet.

44 minutes ago, aaid said:

Stewart McMillan, known to all and sundry as Omar, was also a Masseur as well as kit man, he worked with Craig Brown when he was at Clyde.   In addition to that he was absolutely loaded so the football was something of a hobby for him.   I'm not sure exactly what his main line of business was but someone told me once that he held the UK rights for the Reebok brand and so got a royalty on any piece of Reebok gear sold in the UK.   

I had a long conversation with him once as he was sitting directly in front of me on a flight to Seattle once - I was going there for work and he was on holiday with his wife, who IIRC was a bit of a babe.   I think he was a bit taken aback that a. I recognised him and b. I knew his name.

This was a couple of months after the game in Prague in June 1999 when we'd been 2- up and lost 3-2.   He absolutely caned Paul Ritchie and put the blame for that defeat squarely at his feet.

Last I heard he made a absolute fortune selling off his collection of football shirts he had been able to get over the years with Scotland (he had a ultra-rare one off Romania shirt from 1991 that made some headlines).

On 5/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

A thread for time wasting.

Whilst looking for stuff to post on the Scottish football pics thread I found his intriguing photo of Broon and his backroom team from c2000-2002.

Can you name them and their roles ?

GettyImages-967754.jpg

Every single one of them looks like an auld guy that props up the end of the bar in the local boozer, mumbling something incoherent to you as you wait for your pint and Scampi Fries!

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Every single one of them looks like an auld guy that props up the end of the bar in the local boozer, mumbling something incoherent to you as you wait for your pint and Scampi Fries!

"That McBurnie lad is fucking hopeless I tell ye."

21 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think you must drink in classier boozers than I do?