Scotland V Brazil on Sunday - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Brazil on Sunday

Catchart Circle

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

An odd thing about the 74 finals is that some of the games used a plain white ball (eg us v Brazil) when the official ball was the black and white panel design. 

Aye, I noticed that - they did something similar in World Cup 1970, which I always associate with the classic Adidas Telstar black and white panel ball, and yet the ball for the England v West Germany match was a brown thing that looked like it was from the 1950s. 

Another thing you wouldn’t see now is Cruyff in ‘74 with his 2 stripe variation on Adidas’s 3 stripes on the sleeve. Whoever was in charge of protecting the Adidas brand and getting full value for their sponsorship was asleep on the job...

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

An odd thing about the 74 finals is that some of the games used a plain white ball (eg us v Brazil) when the official ball was the black and white panel design. 

Update - Apparently  there were two official designs for 1974; the Telstar Durlast and the Chile Durlast https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas_Telstar

Just skimmed through Holland 78 and USSR 82.

Interesting to see the press conferences with the managers at the end. McLeod looked like a man on the edge of a breakdown. Stein was as scunnered as the rest of us were.

Don't think I'd watched the Soviet game in 38 years, still as frustrating as it was then. But they were 2 evenly matched teams and a draw was probably the right result.

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Just skimmed through Holland 78 and USSR 82.

Interesting to see the press conferences with the managers at the end. McLeod looked like a man on the edge of a breakdown. Stein was as scunnered as the rest of us were.

Don't think I'd watched the Soviet game in 38 years, still as frustrating as it was then. But they were 2 evenly matched teams and a draw was probably the right result.

Jeez mind when we were " evenly matched " for some reason willie Miller on radio Scotland this afternoon wisnae looking forward tae watchin the Russia game 😄 wonder why?

It was Hanson's fault 🤔

Edited by bonzo

6 hours ago, bonzo said:

Jeez mind when we were " evenly matched " for some reason willie Miller on radio Scotland this afternoon wisnae looking forward tae watchin the Russia game 😄 wonder why?

It was Hanson's fault 🤔

The whole passage of play was a shambles. For some reason McGrain came on for Strachan when we were chasing a goal, Danny went charging up the right wing, collided with Alan Brazil and the ball went out for a USSR throw. They punted it up the park, Miller and Hansen both went to cover the gap left by McGrain and the rest is history.

I was also reminded about how frustrating a player Souness could be. Great on the ball, but you would often see him let players sail past him and leave it to others to win it back.

Just watched first half of Soviet game, first time since 82. Could have been a few up by half time. Second half now but Soviet more in the game. Agree about Souness watching play go by him. Not sure if I want to watch the Miller/Hansen bit.☹️

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

Just watched first half of Soviet game, first time since 82. Could have been a few up by half time. 

Dasayev's save from Jordan's header was brilliant.  Good shout for a penalty with the handball also.

Chivadze had an absolute howler for our goal too, which I guess kind of evens the score with Hansen and Miller :unsure:

Still a favourite moment from watching Scotland, seeing big Joe's toothless yell after scoring.

"YA F**KIN BEAUTY!" :)

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I also find it a bit bizarre now watching a game with only 2 subs, pass backs to keepers, and the referees deciding how much time to add on.

Getting rid of the pass back rule was a good move due to the amount of time wasting. Had forgot about the 2 sub rule.😯

18 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Getting rid of the pass back rule was a good move due to the amount of time wasting. Had forgot about the 2 sub rule.😯

Aye and you could only list 5 subs and not choose from the whole squad.  Dalglish wasn't even on the bench for USSR!

Watched West Germany 86 last night. Thought we played well apart from a few moments and were really unlucky. The breaks just seemed to favour the Germans. The open goal McAvennie had when the ball just got knocked away from him was agonising!

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye and you could only list 5 subs and not choose from the whole squad.  Dalglish wasn't even on the bench for USSR!

Watched West Germany 86 last night. Thought we played well apart from a few moments and were really unlucky. The breaks just seemed to favour the Germans. The open goal McAvennie had when the ball just got knocked away from him was agonising!

Not watched the German match yet but shall get round to it. Hard to think the amount of times we had chances to progress but lost out on goal difference or not getting a rub of the green. ( Think the failure to beat 10 man Uruguay was the worst failure imo).

Looking back we had some right good squads of players and as you say Dalgleish never made the bench.