Scotland V Brazil on Sunday - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Brazil on Sunday

Catchart Circle

Ok great, further disappointment to look forward to. I’ll be passing on all of these. Might watch the win over Sweden though when we were still in at that point. 

Edited by JECK

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I was 7 years old when this game was played, watched it live at the time. I had no idea the National Anthem was GSTQ, choked on my Sunday dinner.

I was 7 also but never saw it.

First time I've watched it and didn't realise how dirty the Brazilians were.

6 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Well if you don't fancy that you can always watch ITV4 at the same time 😃  -

https://tv24.co.uk/b/qahlb0-111w

image.png

Ended up putting myself through this. We created next to nothing, barring Collins to Durie for a header who should have went for the other corner.

Doesn’t look like it was a pen.

We had a good defence, no question but this team were seriously lacking in the final 3rd it’s no wonder we didn’t get through.

I was 8. I suppose it was a different game then, a lot more physical. Brazil were dirty bassas though. I've always remembered walking the dog with my faither after the Yugoslavia game and him trying to explain to me how we went out without losing. I just didn't get it and when he told me that was it for 4 years I was distraught 😄.

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

I was 8. I suppose it was a different game then, a lot more physical. Brazil were dirty bassas though. I've always remembered walking the dog with my faither after the Yugoslavia game and him trying to explain to me how we went out without losing. I just didn't get it and when he told me that was it for 4 years I was distraught 😄.

Ha ha. I was the same. I was 8 then and was greetin like a baby after the Yugoslavia game. 
When confronted with the reality that it was another 4 years till the next one I vividly remember thinking, I’ll be 12 then, I’ll probably not be interested in fitba. 😀

Note though how I never doubted for one minute that we’d be there. How times have changed. 

5 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I was 7 years old when this game was played, watched it live at the time. I had no idea the National Anthem was GSTQ, choked on my Sunday dinner.

Ha ha, when they were showing the Scotland line as the Brazilian anthem was playing I thought they'd edited GSTQ out, but no.  Was quite funny watching the players sniggering as the fans jeered the anthem, took a good few years before the SFA saw sense and ditched it though.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Also, forgot how brilliant Davie Hay was in that Brazil game and how average (at best) Dalglish was. 

Aye some nice touches apart Kenny had a stinker, maybe he was playing too deep.

What a winger Willie Morgan was, I was very impressed. Lorimer too.  A pity so few of that team lasted til Argentina.

32 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Brazil were absolute hatchet men.  What do you reckon five or six red cards these days?  Plus Joe Jordan.

Aye, Jock Stein was right at the end to have a go at the ref, feeble performance.

Edited by Toepoke

15 hours ago, JECK said:

Ended up putting myself through this. We created next to nothing, barring Collins to Durie for a header who should have went for the other corner.

Doesn’t look like it was a pen.

Agreed - the penalty was 50/50 at best. We had our best spell just before the award then it all fell apart so ironically might have snatched a draw it the pen hadn't been given. England did up their game though after the break.

Didn't think our penalty against Brazil two years later was valid either.

5 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

Agreed - the penalty was 50/50 at best. We had our best spell just before the award then it all fell apart so ironically might have snatched a draw it the pen hadn't been given. England did up their game though after the break.

Didn't think our penalty against Brazil two years later was valid either.

IIRC Dunga blatantly handled in the box later in the game, and we didn't get that one, so swings and roonaboots.

11 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

IIRC Dunga blatantly handled in the box later in the game, and we didn't get that one, so swings and roonaboots.

Watched the Norway game from Bordeaux the other week and we were denied an absolute stonewaller when Durie was sent crashing to the turf in the box at 0-0. Much more a pen than Gallagher going down in the opening game.

Always thought if we had not got Zaire first, we might had got through, they go on about the 1978 squad/team but this lot were as good.

Shocking tactics from Brazil back then.

Not watched this game since I was 10 so brought back some good memories.

16 minutes ago, killiegeorge said:

David Coleman not knowlng if it is 10 yards or 10 metres at free kicks and calling Sandy JarDEEN. Where was Archie Mcpherson? Maybe this was the only way England could be represented as their team wisnae there.

Aye there was one bit where he was waxing lyrical about Holton when it was actually Jordan who was involved.  Got to have a Colemanball or two I suppose.

Archie is doing the commentary if you watch the TWTTTW video above, maybe BBC Scotland don't have the full 90 minute tape of that anymore?