All over for Scottish football? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All over for Scottish football?

Malcolm

The current crisis has shown what a Mickey Mouse and inept domestic league we have.  Aside from the mishandling of the current situation it looks clear that when we return which I suspect will be next year, we will have a small number of clubs left.  What are the implications for our game?

None. Well, none that are different than every other league.

I think people go massively overboard at times like this.

France, Belgium & Netherlands all have clubs infighting, we arent alone in this, and it will happen in other countries eventually. Just as we don't really care about Belgian or French fitba, nobody else really cares about Scottish fitba, the circus is for our viewing only.

If a club dies, life goes on, our game didnt die when Rangers, Airdrie, Clydebank, Gretna, Third Lanark etc died, it just adapted and      evolved, we've been here before.

I am thinking that we may not have enough clubs left to make up a league.  No football in a year would mean most clubs going bust. Plus civil war amongst our clubs, possible injunctions to stop the league.  Very unlikely euros will go ahead, even next year.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I am thinking that we may not have enough clubs left to make up a league.  No football in a year would mean most clubs going bust. Plus civil war amongst our clubs, possible injunctions to stop the league.  Very unlikely euros will go ahead, even next year.

On the plus side, it does give braveheart lynch a shit ton of time to make an epic pre play off montage! 👍🙂

I see clubs being mothballed until football can resume rather than disappearing forever.

As a historical example Kilmarnock FC was shut down for 4 years during World War 2.

I've no doubt players are going to lose income though, and when things start up again many first teams will be radically different.

Edited by Toepoke

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I see clubs being mothballed until football can resume rather than disappearing forever.

As a historical example Kilmarnock FC was shut down for 4 years during World War 2.

I've no doubt players are going to lose income though, and when things start up again many first teams will be radically different.

Absolutely... That's the worst case scenario as far as I can see

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, Malcolm said:

I'm not overly worried about my team. A lot of the squad out of contract, low overheads, no need for pitch upkeep, no bank debt etc. Would be a very tough year but I don't think we'd be in any danger.

Think you can tell the clubs that are worried about cash, going by those selling season tickets for something that might never happen.

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Meanwhile the Quinsential British Club continued to play games during this time, whilst Rugby Park was used for the war effort and large part of our squad away in active service.

Those shipyards come in handy eh!

On 5/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, Malcolm said:

There are 42 clubs in SPFL Prem > League 2, 35 clubs at T5 and 31 clubs (soon to be 51 clubs) at T6 for starters.

I think there will be plenty of clubs after this still mate.  I'd be very surprised if any club does go to the wall.

2 hours ago, Debian said:

There are 42 clubs in SPFL Prem > League 2, 35 clubs at T5 and 31 clubs (soon to be 51 clubs) at T6 for starters.

I think there will be plenty of clubs after this still mate.  I'd be very surprised if any club does go to the wall.

So would I, especially with furlough being extended.

Most clubs will be easy enough to mothball as mentioned above.

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not overly worried about my team. A lot of the squad out of contract, low overheads, no need for pitch upkeep, no bank debt etc. Would be a very tough year but I don't think we'd be in any danger.

Think you can tell the clubs that are worried about cash, going by those selling season tickets for something that might never happen.

My club are selling season tickets but I dont think we'll be too worried about cash at the moment...why they are selling season tickets though is beyond me, and I'm pretty disgusted by it 

7 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

My club are selling season tickets but I dont think we'll be too worried about cash at the moment...why they are selling season tickets though is beyond me, and I'm pretty disgusted by it 

Bobkers mate, no chance anyone is getting in a stadium this year.

Killie have given season ticket holders the offer to buy shares, think 300 odd have taken it up so far but it's just folk that want to chip in a few bob to help the club.

Wouldn't be confortable with the club taking money for season tickets knowing full well it will never happen then perhaps relying on the good will of the fans not to ask for refunds.

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The money will be staying in my account until someone can tell me when the league kicks off and when fans will be allowed in...I'm amazed at anyone buying season tickets just now 

Im not amazed by people buying season tickets. In fact i am puzzled why you are amazed.

They will likely be the type of fan who buys one every year and they want to lend their support to the club in anyway they can.

35 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

They are buying a product that isn't really a product at this moment in time, that's why I'm amazed

Plenty folk buy season tickets every year but only go to a few games. It's their way of "supporting" their club. And some folk have more money than others so they can afford to do it.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Plenty folk buy season tickets every year but only go to a few games. It's their way of "supporting" their club. And some folk have more money than others so they can afford to do it.

Those folk that are doing that are still buying a product...right now the club is selling something that might not even exist 

4 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Those folk that are doing that are still buying a product...right now the club is selling something that might not even exist 

And those buying tickets are well aware of that. They are doing so to support the club, product or no product

15 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Yes but not every year large chunks of the supports don't have a clue if they'll have a job in 3 months time.

I think clubs playing on the heart strings of fans, asking them to buy tickets for something that might never happen is pretty irresponsible but maybe that's me.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, Malcolm said:

Surely they would respawn under a different guise. I know its history down the drain and all that but whoever is lost will not simply disappear. The highest profile example of this is there for all to see. 

YeAh, possibly.  I don’t see the maths adding up. I don’t see any football this year.  Even if there are closed door games, the maths don’t work.  Also very high chance hearts will get an interdict to stop the next season starting.  I have heard from a lawyer that theyhave a better than average chNce of winning.  Lots up in the air just now.

Hearts wont go to court, and wont win anything IMO.

Lawyers can give every opinion under the sun, on the same scenario. And will charge their clients accordingly, only one party always wins, and its not the clients.

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Hearts wont go to court, and wont win anything IMO.

Lawyers can give every opinion under the sun, on the same scenario. And will charge their clients accordingly, only one party always wins, and its not the clients.

Obviously a different country, but I see the clubs who went to court about the French league doing the same have lost.