Cooking in Isolation - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cooking in Isolation

2 hours ago, Farcity said:

It has indeed been a great thread, one which should never be allowed to just peter out, or die. 

Who is/was Peter by the way? 

A very interesting question Farcity. A quick google search would suggest even google doesnt really know who peter was either.
There is a connection to an old prospector in the USA during the Gold Rush , who, when things were going bad,  said ‘when my mineral petered, why they all petered me’ .,

Alternatively there is this ‘Another suggestion is an allusion to the French word péter (to break wind - literally to explode‘. 

I suppose there could therefore be a tenous link to , peter, St Peter and the Mighty Celtic thread 🤔

• 1 month later...

Sigh. Anyone got any new recipes ? My restaurant booking for tomorrow night has been binned and I will be forced to eat my own food again. 
At this rate I will have no option but to poach in the River Gryffe ( fishing is still allowed ?) and boil fish heads in a pot like Mrs @McTeeko.

Edited by TDYER63

On 10/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, TDYER63 said:

Sigh. Anyone got any new recipes ? My restaurant booking for tomorrow night has been binned and I will be forced to eat my own food again. 
At this rate I will have no option but to poach in the River Gryffe ( fishing is still allowed ?) and boil fish heads in a pot like Mrs @McTeeko.

just eat is your pal

On 10/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Kirk said:

just eat is your pal

I am not a huge fan of takeaway food , chinese is fine but I am no that keen on indian , pizza etc. Which are the only ‘just eat ‘options where I live. 

Are you a butcher ? Any nice meat dishes ? 

13 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Home made birthday cake, for me. Made with sprinkles all through it, with chocolate sweets on top. Grand daughter getting tore in.

Birthday cake.jpg

looks tasty.

I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but my diet has me thinking about cakes a bit! Happy Birthday!

2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Home made birthday cake, for me. Made with sprinkles all through it, with chocolate sweets on top. Grand daughter getting tore in.

Birthday cake.jpg

My mouth’s watering looking at that. I haven’t managed a shopping this week and all I have are some broken digestives lurking at the bottom of my biscuit tin.
Well, its actually a compost tin, the biscuit tin that went with the tea and coffee set was too wee so I bought the compost tin instead. 
Happy Birthday Lairdy 👍

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

My mouth’s watering looking at that. I haven’t managed a shopping this week and all I have are some broken digestives lurking at the bottom of my biscuit tin.
Well, its actually a compost tin, the biscuit tin that went with the tea and coffee set was too wee so I bought the compost tin instead. 
Happy Birthday Lairdy 👍

Thanks. Bit bloated too much cake.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, TDYER63 said:

I am not a huge fan of takeaway food , chinese is fine but I am no that keen on indian , pizza etc. Which are the only ‘just eat ‘options where I live. 

Are you a butcher ? Any nice meat dishes ? 

Sorry been away and just catching up, that's fair, we have a stupid amount of options near us but tend not to order in a lot.

No but I have a friend who is haha

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Looking at doing some home favourites for the upcoming games since I’m stuck in QLD.

Tattie scones and slice (I know)

Rank amateur in the kitchen but found some easy enough looking recipes. 

Hope you have some Irn Bru or Tennants to wash it down . None of that Castlemaine XXXX shit. 

I have been using HelloFresh the past few weeks and really like it. Canny believe I have found something that makes me look like a decent cook. 

22 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hope you have some Irn Bru or Tennants to wash it down . None of that Castlemaine XXXX shit. 

I have been using HelloFresh the past few weeks and really like it. Canny believe I have found something that makes me look like a decent cook. 

I’ll have irn bru but I can’t bring myself to order tennents online, BrewDog’s will do.

Ive been tempted with hello fresh type deals before 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’ll have irn bru but I can’t bring myself to order tennents online, BrewDog’s will do.

Ive been tempted with hello fresh type deals before 

Is BrewDog Scottish? I am not a fan of Tennants either right enough . 

HelloFresh has been surprisingly good, I got a free week and really didn’t except much, especially when everything came in brown paper bags. But it is so easy and pretty tasty so have carried it on . Is saving me a fortune as well as I dont end up chucking out loads of wasted food. 

6-8 weeks ago a mate of min put me onto crispy aromatic duck. I get them from Sainsbury but he got similar one from Aldi and I'm sure other places do it. Serves two although you could maybe eat a little more.

It's 2 partially cooked duck legs that you stick in oven on high heat for around 40 mins. It comes with 12 small pancakes and Hoisin sauce. As recommended by my mate I also buy some spring onions and a little bit of cucumber and chop them up.

You can heat pancakes in microwave for 20 secs but I prefer to steam them for 5-10 mins.

Once duck legs are cooked (rest them for a few mins maybe) , shred the duck with 2 forks, spread some Hoisin sauce and bits of spring onion, cucumber, duck etc on pancakes as you would in a Chinese restaurant etc. Really simple & fairly quick and actually very tasty. I'd highly recommend it

Edited by fringo

Out for a family walk yesterday and came across tons of wild garlic growing in the woods. Got a fair amount and have so far made pesto and soup with it. It's meant to be better if harvested before the flowers come out but both were really tasty - I wouldn't normally eat pesto but it was way better than the commercial stuff 🙂

Wild garlic pesto recipe | BBC Good Food

wild garlic soup | Lost in Food