Cooking in Isolation - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cooking in Isolation

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Apologies. Just wouldn't want to spoil things by complaining about the smell of the 'G' word. 😉

And if I turn up reeking of garlic AND telling my bad jokes it would be your idea of hell. 😄

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Ahh c'mon. Don't take yourself so seriously :ok:

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Course he meant it as humour. I am no being entirely serious myself .  

I was lining you up for the role of the voiceover guy, Dave Lamb, but you will need to cheer up a bit .  

Aye the best double act since Ian Huntley and Maxine Carr. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Aye the best double act since Ian Huntley and Maxine Carr. 

Some folk just canny take compliments.
Dave Lamb’s acerbic wit  is the most entertaining part of the show and I offer it to you.

I didnt even offer the part of Dave Lamb  to Dave78, and his name is Dave ! 

44 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Baking on a Sunday afternoon.

image.png.769674d3576b253936ac003c11264ee5.png

😍😍😍😍 I’m on my way !!
🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not much left. No room for Sunday dinner. 😉

I would sacrifice Sunday dinner for a Victoria Sandwich. 
I used to bake them when i was in my teens, they looked just like the one you posted it took me back.

I used dream topping and jam as we couldn't afford real cream or even synthetic cream , but it was yummy. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I used to bake them when i was in my teens, they looked just like the one you posted it took me back.

I used dream topping and jam as we couldn't afford real cream or even synthetic cream , but it was yummy. 

Got to admit it wasn't me who made it. I cook the dinner and my wife bakes, she made a banana bread as well. I'm fussy about the icing, surprise, surprise. She buy's it ready made in a tub and it is really nice. If I'm ever going through B.O.W I will drop you a lump off.🙂

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dream topping? You were lucky. Our mother had to use sawdust and sheep spit.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Farcity said:

For the cooky/chef types.

Is it okay to defrost chicken breast, cook into a curry then refreeze?  Or is this a no-no? 

Depends on how you defrost it. If you don't let it go above 5C (ie defrost it in a fridge) you should be OK bacteria wise. But don't leave it in the fridge too long before you cook it. But freezing destroys the structure of the meat and if you do it twice the chicken can go mushy and it can be like trying to eat a sponge. I always think it's best to cook the fresh chicken first then freeze it. But cooking from fresh and eating it straight away is best if you can do that. The main thing with chicken is make sure it is cooked thoroughly. 

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, Farcity said:

Is it okay to defrost chicken breast, cook into a curry then refreeze?  Or is this a no-no? 

Never had any issues doing this, and not dead so must be ok

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, Farcity said:

I think you can only really do this with raw chicken.  I wouldn't defrost cooked chicken and freeze it again (maybe that's just me though).  Once raw chicken is cooked it's a different product so you're ok to refreeze.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, Orraloon said:

Depends on how you defrost it. If you don't let it go above 5C (ie defrost it in a fridge) you should be OK bacteria wise. But don't leave it in the fridge too long before you cook it. But freezing destroys the structure of the meat and if you do it twice the chicken can go mushy and it can be like trying to eat a sponge. I always think it's best to cook the fresh chicken first then freeze it. But cooking from fresh and eating it straight away is best if you can do that. The main thing with chicken is make sure it is cooked thoroughly. 

This. And your curry will taste much better the next day or after freezing. I rarely eat a curry the same day I cook it. I also find that a generous squeeze of lime juice and a big handful of chopped fresh coriander at the end of cooking makes a huge difference. Balanced with salt and a sprinkle of sugar too 👍

I am delighted to see my thread resurrected, especially to save Farcity from a near certain death . 

Not only that,  it has given Orraloon the opportunity to showpiece his science knowledge,  and take his mind off those darned overpaid teachers for 10 minutes. 

In fact I think I could be in line for the ‘ most valuable thread of the year’ award. 💪

13 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am delighted to see my thread resurrected, especially to save Farcity from a near certain death . 

Not only that,  it has given Orraloon the opportunity to showpiece his science knowledge,  and take his mind off those darned overpaid teachers for 10 minutes. 

In fact I think I could be in line for the ‘ most valuable thread of the year’ award. 💪

It has indeed been a great thread, one which should never be allowed to just peter out, or die. 

Who is/was Peter by the way?