Cooking in Isolation - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cooking in Isolation

19 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

A few tweaks as usual with flavourings etc. Used shin of beef and cooked it lower for about 6 hours. Dusted the beef chunks in seasoned gf flour rather than the beurre manie. Was immense. The meat was still in chunks but soft and falling apart. My kids loved it. Put a wee put more liquid/tomato in so it was a bit more of a ragu. First night with mashed tatties. Second with the macaroni. And I ditched the olives.

image.jpg

Looks nice will try it. Would normal flour do in place of gf flour and did you use a slow cooker /oven instead of the hob and if so what temperature ? 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Looks nice will try it. Would normal flour do in place of gf flour and did you use a slow cooker /oven instead of the hob and if so what temperature ? 

Only gf for my wee lass. Le Creuset pot in the oven after the first hour on the stove top to reduce liquid a bit. Was still fairly liquidy at this point though. You can always reduce it later but I didn’t need to as it turn red into a nice gravy sauce after 5 hours in the oven about 160. Did a stir and check every hour. The secret is using beef shin. Only trim the outside sinew. The internal connective tissue melts to make the gravy. It’s pretty foolproof but comes out like a masterpiece.

I’m going to risk a bit of flack here but anybody tried HelloFresh? I scoffed at the idea but brother in law uses it and he sent us a code so we tried it for a few days. Every one a winner. Won’t continue with it because normal price is a bit steep but for anybody that spends a bit of cash on takeaways and wants to try some easy cooking it’s no bad.

18 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Only gf for my wee lass. Le Creuset pot in the oven after the first hour on the stove top to reduce liquid a bit. Was still fairly liquidy at this point though. You can always reduce it later but I didn’t need to as it turn red into a nice gravy sauce after 5 hours in the oven about 160. Did a stir and check every hour. The secret is using beef shin. Only trim the outside sinew. The internal connective tissue melts to make the gravy. It’s pretty foolproof but comes out like a masterpiece.

👍

16 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

I’m going to risk a bit of flack here but anybody tried HelloFresh? I scoffed at the idea but brother in law uses it and he sent us a code so we tried it for a few days. Every one a winner. Won’t continue with it because normal price is a bit steep but for anybody that spends a bit of cash on takeaways and wants to try some easy cooking it’s no bad.

Have never tried it but I imagine it is popular with folk with busy lives and a decent income. Its like the kind of thing you would see on Dragons Den, aiming to capture a niche market . 
Like you,  I would maybe give it a try , but the prices would be too steep to use on a regular basis.
Even M&S is a treat to me 😁

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Bought an 130 euro Italian pizza oven at the start of lockdown. Been trial and error on the dough. 

My magnus opus (so far)....

pizza.jpg

I’ve seen worse looking pizzas,   usually appearing  from my oven.

Maybe we could arrange a TAMB Come Dine With Me. 🤔

6 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Where? 

😂 I didnt see the bit in bold and I thought I had my first contender for Come Dine With Me . Was just about to give you my address. 

I have seen plenty of cremated pizzas appearing from my oven. I am not much a fan of pizzas.  

29 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 I didnt see the bit in bold and I thought I had my first contender for Come Dine With Me . Was just about to give you my address. 

I have seen plenty of cremated pizzas appearing from my oven. I am not much a fan of pizzas.  

Depends on who else you are inviting, I wouldn't want to be doing the  stuck in the back of a taxi thing  afterwards with most of the folk on here. 

3 hours ago, Farcity said:

Depends on who else you are inviting, I wouldn't want to be doing the  stuck in the back of a taxi thing  afterwards with most of the folk on here. 

Och, people are usually much nicer in person, dont be too harsh.

I dont think we can invite Killaefaetheferry into the competition  as he is too experienced a cook. 
He has however been an integral part of this thread so  maybe he could be the taxi driver . 🚕
Big Ramy could be good fun with his bagpipes , and his inclusion means I may not  end up in last place.  
He  lives in Canada right enough  , that might be a bit too far a drive for Killae, plus I doubt my Entertainment in Isolation budget could afford  the petrol cost . Maybe Ramy could swim across those shark infested waters instead 🤔  If he agrees we may have to edit out him browning his meat in case there are any children watching. 

Piak , Dave and Tiny Tim are also too far away . Are there no cooks left in Scotland ???
That said, I am taking their word for it. Every one of them could be living at the end of my road  . This whole messageboard  could be The Tidy Show, like the Truman Show. I might sail down the Clyde tonight to test it. 

So. What about Lairdy, he’s a good guy. I am pretty sure we could sign him up if we bung him a  few Begonias for Mrs Lairdy.  
 Daviebee can make a good Thai Curry and we  could bring Fringo along for the jokes.

I dont know about you but I think this could take off. And better still,  we could premier the video on my Entertainment in Isolation thread.

Any TAMB cameramen or  women out there ???

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Are there no cooks left in Scotland ???

GrumpyAuldGit.   Not you 😳

He says he's a pro though, so you've probably barred him already.   In my head though, he's just warming up sausages in his chuck waggon in Hillington 😉    Mind you, having recently watched yon film Chef, I like that idea.

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I've said before that, for all the fa' oots, TAMBers would get on famously if we were in a pub*

*Well, that's until @thplinth turns up, quotes Brevik's manifesto, then sprays us all down with his AR-15 :P

5 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I've said before that, for all the fa' oots, TAMBers would get on famously if we were in a pub*

*Well, that's until @thplinth turns up, quotes Brevik's manifesto, then sprays us all down with his AR-15 :P

Jeezo man, that guy killed a bunch of kids.

Maybe time to give this place a miss.

9 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I dare say it was meant as humour and possibly some alcohol had been consumed but I find that post really objectionable.  The guy murdered dozens of children. 

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont think we can invite Killaefaetheferry into the competition  as he is too experienced a cook. 
He has however been an integral part of this thread so  maybe he could be the taxi driver . 🚕
Big Ramy could be good fun with his bagpipes , and his inclusion means I may not  end up in last place.  
He  lives in Canada right enough  , that might be a bit too far a drive for Killae, plus I doubt my Entertainment in Isolation budget could afford  the petrol cost . Maybe Ramy could swim across those shark infested waters instead 🤔  If he agrees we may have to edit out him browning his meat in case there are any children watching. 

Piak , Dave and Tiny Tim are also too far away . Are there no cooks left in Scotland ???
That said, I am taking their word for it. Every one of them could be living at the end of my road  . This whole messageboard  could be The Tidy Show, like the Truman Show. I might sail down the Clyde tonight to test it. 

So. What about Lairdy, he’s a good guy. I am pretty sure we could sign him up if we bung him a  few Begonias for Mrs Lairdy.  
 Daviebee can make a good Thai Curry and we  could bring Fringo along for the jokes.

I dont know about you but I think this could take off. And better still,  we could premier the video on my Entertainment in Isolation thread.

Any TAMB cameramen or  women out there ???

Appreciate your kind comments but I would need to decline. Every recipe I've seen on here, (apart from the some of the home made soups) has garlic added.:barf:

18 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

GrumpyAuldGit.   Not you 😳

He says he's a pro though, so you've probably barred him already.   In my head though, he's just warming up sausages in his chuck waggon in Hillington 😉    Mind you, having recently watched yon film Chef, I like that idea.

Aye, Grumpy is too experienced , he can fIght it out with Killifaetheferry on TAMB Masterchef.  And there no Grumpies allowed on TAMB Come Dine With Me. 

Talking of which .....

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

I dare say it was meant as humour and possibly some alcohol had been consumed but I find that post really objectionable.  The guy murdered dozens of children. 

Course he meant it as humour. I am no being entirely serious myself .  

I was lining you up for the role of the voiceover guy, Dave Lamb, but you will need to cheer up a bit .  

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Ahh c'mon. Don't take yourself so seriously :ok:

3 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Appreciate your kind comments but I would need to decline. Every recipe I've seen on here, (apart from the some of the home made soups) has garlic added.:barf:

Gutted. My first TAMB knock back. Might need to offer a place to Rolling Hills at this rate 😕