Cooking in Isolation - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cooking in Isolation

Just passing some time waiting for another delicious recipe to be posted....

I stayed up a bit later last night as it was bank holiday today. Mr Tidy went to bed before me as he hadnt slept well the previous night. 
He was still awake when I got to bed and there was a loud noise above so I said to him ‘ Is that a helicopter’ ? 
He said ‘ probably , I hadnt noticed the noise but thanks for drawing my attention to it’ . 
10 minutes later it was still there. I said ‘ i wonder what it is this time, it must be serious ‘. ( last time a helicopter hovered above us for a while they were looking for an escaped criminal ‘ .) 

He said’ will you shut the fuck up about that helicopter , I was nearly asleep there ‘ and he turned over. 

Another 10 mins passed and it was still there. He said , ‘this is like a bloody rehearsal for VE day with the Luftwaffe above us. 

I got up to go to the toilet and the noise seemed even louder. Our bedroom is downstairs so I climbed the stairs for a better look. 
I came back to bed and said ‘ its ok, its not a helicopter , its the oscillating fan in Katies ( daughter( room. She got sunburnt yesterday’. 

‘ What ? ! ‘ he grunted  ‘ not only is the noise keeping me off my sleep but that electricity meter will be whirring round costing us bloody a fortune . ‘ 

I was giggling away to myself in  that uncontrollable way . The whole bed was vibrating with my stifled laughing. He was mad.  
Another 20 mins went by. Neither of us were sleeping and it was roasting. 

Suddenly I sprung up and shouted ‘ I forgot to turn the central heating off ! ‘ 

I was freezing in the house yesterday and had turned it to ‘on’ instead of  the timer. 

I slept alone last night 😔

Edited by TDYER63

18 hours ago, fringo said:

Mince n tatties for me tonight. Simple but tasty.

Added some chopped onions and garlic (sorry Lairdy I love garlic) and a bit of tabasco sauce for a subtle kick.

First time ever I also added a few peas which was a nice wee extra.

Butter and milk for the tatties.

Mmmmmmmm.....

That sounds magnificent.. 👍

On 5/7/2020 at 4:09 PM, Huddersfield said:

Beans on toast. 

Difficulty rating:10. That tin opener is bloody useless & I keep forgetting to order a new one with the shopping. 

Prince William had a similar problem. He was stomping around the palace shouting " I can't find the tin opener, where the fuck is that tin opener? Kate have you seen the fuckin tin opener?"

Kate shouted from ben the hoose " Don't you remember dearest?

You had him furloughed.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Prince William had a similar problem. He was stomping around the palace shouting " I can't find the tin opener, where the fuck is that tin opener? Kate have you seen the fuckin tin opener?"

Kate shouted from ben the hoose " Don't you remember dearest?

You had him furloughed.

😃

Right ! This is NOT how I expected my cooking thread to go. Do none of you eat ????

Surely someone has a recipe for Phart who is on a diet . Somebodys wife or partner must have a nice low calorie meal. Women are always on diets. Apart from me, but I am a freak of nature. 

Ramy ! Where are your dishes ? 

I am trying to do a lot more cooking since lockdown is in play but I eat a lot of plain food and leave all vegetables out of the ingredients 🙈 I also make lots of soup but chuck it in the soup make and make sure it’s completely blended🙈😂 however if anyone wants plain recipes I would be happy to share 😂

Oh no.   Just clicked on this and saw killie's curry again.   I'm fekkin' starvin' now.   I might just have some fishfingers left...

That's not gonna do it is it?   Now I know how the zombie apocalypse starts :unsure:

12 hours ago, wee_pammy_87 said:

I am trying to do a lot more cooking since lockdown is in play but I eat a lot of plain food and leave all vegetables out of the ingredients 🙈 I also make lots of soup but chuck it in the soup make and make sure it’s completely blended🙈😂 however if anyone wants plain recipes I would be happy to share 😂

Pammy get them on. Doesnt matter how plain it is. This lot sound like plain kind of eaters.

I dont make soup as i dont have a blender . I know not all soups require one but most of them seem to. I need to get a blender and a new slow cooker as the one I had was too small. 

17 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Chippy tea tonight from Tailend in Dundee. Was very good. Was craving a fish supper!

On Tues had my first fish supper in over 2 months delivered by Fresh and Chips.

Not bad but also just heard that Murray's in Gray Str B/Ferry now open for business.

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Pammy get them on. Doesnt matter how plain it is. This lot sound like plain kind of eaters.

I dont make soup as i dont have a blender . I know not all soups require one but most of them seem to. I need to get a blender and a new slow cooker as the one I had was too small. 

I just started making soups about 3 yrs ago. Usually a winter thing.....although that can be 10-11 months of the year in Scotland.

Don't use a blender though as I like chunky/lumpy homemade soups.

Normally just whatever vedge I have kicking about e.g. potatoes, onions, carrots and maybe a little bit of bacon or chorizo just for added flavours. 2-3 Knorrs stock cubes and to give it a bit of a kick I'll add some dried chillis and/or paprika.

All done in about 45 mins.

Edited by fringo

12 minutes ago, fringo said:

I just started making soups about 3 yrs ago. Usually a winter thing.....although that can be 10-11 months of the year in Scotland.

Don't use a blender though as I like chunky/lumpy homemade soups.

Normally just whatever vedge I have kicking about e.g. potatoes, onions, carrots and maybe a little bit of bacon or chorizo just for added flavours. 2-3 Knorrs stock cubes and to give it a bit of a kick I'll add some dried chillis and/or paprika.

All done in about 45 mins.

Do you just bring to the boil and simmer ? Do you not need something to thicken it (apart from the veg) , is it not quite runny ? 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Do you just bring to the boil and simmer ? Do you not need something to thicken it (apart from the veg) , is it not quite runny ? 

I just use stock cubes.  It is quite runny/liquid. Chunky veg in flavoured water but I like it. 

I do most of the cooking in the house but my Mrs makes superb soup, so thick you could spread it on bread.

Ham broth/lentil:

Usual ingredients:

Boil a ham hough for a couple of hours for stock.

Remove hough then strip to the bone.

Carrots x 9 (depending on size)

2 large leeks.

1 bag lentils or 1 bag mix broth.

Couple of large potatoes

Plenty of pepper

Add all ingredients including stripped ham from hough and boil until thicken. (more water may need to be added depends how thick you prefer).

When ready serve with a few bit's of crusty bead.

None of this puree/blended nonsense. (Just remembered got some frozen in freezer)

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I do most of the cooking in the house but my Mrs makes superb soup, so thick you could spread it on bread.

Ham broth/lentil:

Usual ingredients:

Boil a ham hough for a couple of hours for stock.

Remove hough then strip to the bone.

Carrots x 9 (depending on size)

2 large leeks.

1 bag lentils or 1 bag mix broth.

Couple of large potatoes

Plenty of pepper

Add all ingredients including stripped ham from hough and boil until thicken. (more water may need to be added depends how thick you prefer).

When ready serve with a few bit's of crusty bead.

None of this puree/blended nonsense. (Just remembered got some frozen in freezer)

That sounds like the soup my mum used to make which was brilliant,  but sadly she died. I had never made the soup but  I think she added barley too,  though a lot of folk dont  like barley. I remember her skimming froth off the top at some point, do you need to do that at all ? 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That sounds like the soup my mum used to make which was brilliant,  but sadly she died. I had never made the soup but  I think she added barley too,  though a lot of folk dont  like barley. I remember her skimming froth off the top at some point, do you need to do that at all ? 

I don't think so. As I said my wife makes it I just eat it. Yeh, old school recipe but I love it. Sometimes just have a large bowl and apple tart and custard later. Traditional lower Kilmacolm (Port Glasgow) Sunday dinner.

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I don't think so. As I said my wife makes it I just eat it. Yeh, old school recipe but I love it. Sometimes just have a large bowl and apple tart and custard later. Traditional lower Kilmacolm (Port Glasgow) Sunday dinner.

Sounds good I will give it a go. Might need Mrs Lairdys advice at some point so dont fall out with her 😊