Cooking in Isolation - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cooking in Isolation

6 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I do apologise, good thread apart from garlic. I wonder if your recipes will work without the G word?

I doubt the prawn one will work as there is only about 5 ingredients in the recipe,  2 of which are prawns and garlic 😁
But the cajun one could work as there is only a tiny bit of garlic in that . 

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

Mince n tatties for me tonight. Simple but tasty.

Added some chopped onions and garlic (sorry Lairdy I love garlic) and a bit of tabasco sauce for a subtle kick.

First time ever I also added a few peas which was a nice wee extra.

Butter and milk for the tatties.

Mmmmmmmm.....

when cooking your mince add some Balsamic vinegar.. 

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

Mince n tatties for me tonight. Simple but tasty.

Added some chopped onions and garlic (sorry Lairdy I love garlic) and a bit of tabasco sauce for a subtle kick.

First time ever I also added a few peas which was a nice wee extra.

Butter and milk for the tatties.

Mmmmmmmm.....

👍 I use Worcester sauce a lot in stew type things but never thought of tabasco. 

Just now, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Add a half bottle of HP sauce (Brown) perfect. Garlic in mince and tatties you have issues.

I often add Worcester sauce but tried tabasco today.

I have garlic with most things (I'm half French) so that's not an issue for me . 😊 

Frenchman With French Baguettes in 2020 | French man, French ...

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I doubt the prawn one will work as there is only about 5 ingredients in the recipe,  2 of which are prawns and garlic 😁
But the cajun one could work as there is only a tiny bit of garlic in that . 

I will give it a try. As long as I can't smell the garlic I will give it a try. I like curries, lasagne etc I know they have garlic in them but can't smell it, usually. Beginning to think my mrs might have a point in me be a fussy basta.d.

1 minute ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I will give it a try. As long as I can't smell the garlic I will give it a try. I like curries, lasagne etc I know they have garlic in them but can't smell it, usually. Beginning to think my mrs might have a point in me be a fussy basta.d.

Just do whatever recipe but leave out the garlic. It's not essential in anything but just a personal preference for some..

Like you I'm not a fan of most seafood though.

That just reminded me of this old joke

I went into a shop today to buy a Dracula costume.

The assistant came back with a Manchester United shirt.

I said, 'I think you misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a Count!'

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Happy so far. Was in oven last 4 hours. Reducing to thicken the gravy on stovetop now. Will do recipe if it tastes good 😀

image.jpg

Oaft, that pot is going to take a bit of cleaning 😊

38 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Those are the tasty bits you chisel back into the sauce!   

Yes all of that gets chiseled back into it using the wooden spoon. I'd also let it sit over night. 

So what is it?

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

Yes all of that gets chiseled back into it using the wooden spoon. I'd also let it sit over night. 

So what is it?

Beef madras (just cos that’s the curry powder I used.) I used a recipe from Hari Ghotra for lamb madras but cooked it a lot longer and slower. Her website is brilliant. Videos to follow as well as recipes. It’s how I learned to make pakora. None of it is difficult; you just get the confidence to try it by watching her go through the recipe in the video.

This thread reminds me of a woman I used to know through work who was from a Bangladeshi family. She was a good cook to be fair, & had a 'family role' of always doing the food for the very frequent family get-togethers, from which we'd often get the leftovers. I was once asking her about how to make a good curry (apparently she had a reputation for making amazing ones). She told me there was a secret trick that none of her family knew about & swore me to secrecy if I ever met any of them.

It turned out it was that she just chucked a jar of Sainsbury's curry sauce into the mix.