Old Scottish football pics.. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Scottish football pics..

Big Ramy 1314

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

60 years ago today, Hampden's greatest occasion...

pa_june_2017.jpg

My dad had a ticket, but missed it.   In bed with the flu.

Imagine a virus goin' about at this time of year.

Edited by Grim Jim

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think I know who they all are except back row second from the left. Who is he?

I think it's the team for the England game in 1968, which for some reason was in February hence the snow.

Although according to this Gilzean didn't play maybe he was replaced late on?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/scotland-v-england-24-february-1968-230163/

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think it's the team for the England game in 1968, which for some reason was in February hence the snow.

Although according to this Gilzean didn't play maybe he was replaced late on?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/scotland-v-england-24-february-1968-230163/

Back then the home internationals were often played throughout the season. It didn't become an end of season thing until the start of the 70s.

27 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Came across this pic today from outside the main stand at Rugby Park.

My dad was at this game the jammy bastard.

FB_IMG_1589890437539.jpg

First round draw?   A bit tough.   Would your dad have fancied your chances against any/many of the others?

On agg. I mean.

Edited by Grim Jim

Bobby Collins

"The Wee Barra"

Bobby-Collins.jpg

He was tiny (5'3) but hard as nails, one hell of a tidy player and a strong leader on the pitch. 

A player who was much admired in his day (played for Celtic, Everton & Leeds) yet sadly is almost forgotten about now. His international record was quite good with 31 caps and 10 goals scored from midfield - that's better in fact than what some of our strikers past and present have managed !

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bobby Collins

"The Wee Barra"

Bobby-Collins.jpg

He was tiny (5'3) but hard as nails, one hell of a tidy player and a strong leader on the pitch. 

A player who was much admired in his day (played for Celtic, Everton & Leeds) yet sadly is almost forgotten about now. His international record was quite good with 31 caps and 10 goals scored from midfield - that's better in fact than what some of our strikers past and present have managed !

Was he not more of an inside forward? Not sure midfielders existed for most of his career? Back then you were either a back, a half-back or a forward. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Was he not more of an inside forward? Not sure midfielders existed for most of his career? Back then you were either a back, a half-back or a forward. 

He could play different positions.

At Leeds he was usually in midfield. Remember Collins played in both the fifties and sixties when tactics, strategy, formations and positions began to evolve.

A very good player who has been rather strangely ignored. Deserves to be much better known. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Came across this pic today from outside the main stand at Rugby Park.

My dad was at this game the jammy bastard.

FB_IMG_1589890437539.jpg

I think that photo might actually be from 1960, Real training at Rugby Park when over for the European Cup final. Would explain why the kids still look like war refugees.

The game in 65 was actually Puskas' last in the European Cup, he was 38 by that point and putting on the beef.

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

First round draw?   A bit tough.  

Played the Albanian champions Nentori in the preliminary round.  The first round proper was actually the last 16.  The good old days in Europe!

On 5/18/2020 at 3:10 PM, Toepoke said:

Going by this photo he was one of the few who did...

1960HampdenPark.jpg

37 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Great picture especially as you get cathkin park at the top

I'm curious too about the oval in the top-right?   No stands that I can see.   Between that and east end of Hampden are wee white houses.   I'm pretty sure those are prefabs that were hurriedly put up post war.   I believe I can remember them from my earliest visits.   Off topic, but for younger viewers...

http://quicksmarthomes.com/media/4947/home540x1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm curious too about the oval in the top-right?   No stands that I can see.   Between that and east end of Hampden are wee white houses.   I'm pretty sure those are prefabs that were hurriedly put up post war.   I believe I can remember them from my earliest visits.   Off topic, but for younger viewers...

http://quicksmarthomes.com/media/4947/home540x1.jpg

There was a discussion about that other pitch a while back, I believe it's the playing field at Holyrood Academy.

I mind the prefabs too, my uncle used to get parked there for games in the days when car ownership wasn't as extensive!