Dave Greenfield - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aye , it was . Was nothing , even cannibalism these guys didn’t consider. They captured me imaginatively with Something Better Change . Came out September 77 iirc.

think it was ca 81/82 at the rainbow when they first played Golden Brown and Cornwell explained he was gonna sing not growl the song . Was half a year before it was the chart hit and had been in their list since they were the Guildford  Stranglers in the mid 70’s.

were too old and contrary to ever be accepted by the London punk scene. Introducing me to so many subjects from the esoteric , political, historical ad inf. 

beeb radio 6 are doing the Meninblack documentary again on Sunday apparently. 

after Hugh left in 90 ? That was them , but did take my son to a gig in the noughties  which underwhelmed him 😀

6 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Aye , it was . Was nothing , even cannibalism these guys didn’t consider. They captured me imaginatively with Something Better Change . Came out September 77 iirc.

think it was ca 81/82 at the rainbow when they first played Golden Brown and Cornwell explained he was gonna sing not growl the song . Was half a year before it was the chart hit and had been in their list since they were the Guildford  Stranglers in the mid 70’s.

were too old and contrary to ever be accepted by the London punk scene. Introducing me to so many subjects from the esoteric , political, historical ad inf. 

beeb radio 6 are doing the Meninblack documentary again on Sunday apparently. 

after Hugh left in 90 ? That was them , but did take my son to a gig in the noughties  which underwhelmed him 😀

There yae are pal..

A unique eccentic legend. Got to meet him a couple of times,  came across totally down to earth. The same week too as Florian Schneider, they both happened to have their biggest hits at the same time. Golden Brown followed by 7min French flop of La Folie, only The Stranglers. Watched them in Eurpoe and all over UK it's hard to believe I'll not see him perform live again, gutted. RIP Dave.

I never saw them live but oddly was listening to a lot of their music just a week or two back. They were absolutely one of my favourite bands ‘back in the day’. I think the first punk album I ever bought was Rattus Norvegicus.

Although other tracks get more kudos off that album, I rate Ugly as one of the finest things they ever did. Any song that can fit in mention of a poem by Shelley, a double murder attempt & a statement about the class system in between various lyrical nonsense has to be worth a listen!