The Teuchter Line - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Teuchter Line

3 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Indeed, a book about a weird teuchter, written for weird teuchters ,who say it like that.

Lad I used to work with was called "Wullie". That was his real name. We didn't believe him so he brought in his birth certificate to prove it.

Edited by Orraloon

3 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Indeed, a book about a weird teuchter, written for weird teuchters ,who say it like that.

Willie is fae Dundee. You get many things in Dundee, but choochters or teuchters you most certainly do not. 

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Is nt there some Edinburgh folk who use those words ; or i have i read too much irvine welsh ; ken , likesay ?

think teuchtar is based upon ones perspective ; my dads side of family are all “toonsers” from Aberdeen city centre ; broad dialect - Mums side from Inverurie/Turriff way - who were always classed as teuchtars by the toonsers

i know in our visits as kids in the 70s that 15 mile journey ( before dual carriage way ) felt like a different time zone ; local kids down the chipper spoke different language to us

Inverurie now is more of a dormitory town feel to it

Ken is definitely used in Perth, by almost everyone. You won't hear likesay here though. 

35 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Willie is fae Dundee. You get many things in Dundee, but choochters or teuchters you most certainly do not. 

Is also a generational thing ; written in the days when a fat bobby could give a kid a clip round the ear for tieing 2 door handles together

maybe needs a woke update .....

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 were you arrested by PC Murdoch for stealing The Bairn‘s sweeties ? 

Here it is here. A wee snippet from our story in The Sunday Post, 23.4.13 👍🏼

My daughter Lori was only the FOURTH real person to ever appear in Oor Wullie after Alex Ferguson, Alex Salmond and Lorraine Kelly  

2692D8A5-3801-4586-A2F2-76B6FE9B252E.jpeg

Edited by McTeeko

The only thing ,that annoys me about people writing in scots is the way some people quite obviously force it with weird spellings and forced scots written pronunciations. There’s some stuff you see flying about which is virtually impossible to decipher, but if I heard the person actually speaking I’d know what they were saying. 

Scots is slightly odd in that it’s an oral tradition but it also has a significant amount of written history, so there is some standardisation of spelling in Scots, substantially from Burns (and yes I know there are things he didn’t spell consistently). But if you pick someone up on Scots spelling, jesus the precious howling.

Oh, and also the fact that most people aren’t speaking Scots, they’re speaking Scottish Standard English. 

Edited by biffer

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

The only thing ,that annoys me about people writing in scots is the way some people quite obviously force it with weird spellings and forced scots written pronunciations. There’s some stuff you see flying about which is virtually impossible to decipher, but if I heard the person actually speaking I’d know what they were saying. 

Scots is slightly odd in that it’s an oral tradition but it also has a significant amount of written history, so there is some standardisation of spelling in Scots, substantially from Burns (and yes I know there are things he didn’t spell consistently). But if you pick someone up on Scots spelling, jesus the precious howling.

Mmmm..... Ulster Scots.....

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/about-the-assembly/general-information/information-leaflets/ulster-scots/

Edited by Eisegerwind
Mmmm.....

10 minutes ago, biffer said:

Oh, and also the fact that most people aren’t speaking Scots, they’re speaking Scottish Standard English. 

12 minutes ago, biffer said:

On 4/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, kumnio said:

My ex boss was from Bathgate, and had full weegie accent, but she wouldn't accept being called a weegie. She was wrong.

Anyone south of Falkirk and west of Livingstone is a Weegie. Anyone north of Dundee is a teuchter. 

'and from Taiwan, I don't know if that's spellcheck or , but, anyway, and it's a reasonably easy mistake to make, (David), I'd be interested to know why you spelt it like that.

13 minutes ago, biffer said:

So much of that feels forced. Do they actually say Govrenment over there?

Obviously there are lots of very serious matters concerning 'nationality' in that particular area. I just find it interesting language wise. I can pretty much understand most of it. I doubt most English people would get 50% of it. Northern Europeans would maybe get 25% of it  in their native language if you gave them a quick overview.

Edited by Eisegerwind
Clarification

2 hours ago, biffer said:

just finished a book called 'the Young Team" set in Airdrie - full on language , very difficult to get a flow for a good few chapters ; hard going , but decent read

10 hours ago, biffer said:

That's just ignorance on your part. There are loads of words in English that I don't understand. If you don't understand a word, look it, up or ask somebody. You might learn something.

16 hours ago, slasher said:

Teuchters are from the Highlands and Islands as far as I'm concerned. Not be confused with annoying cunts from Embra and elsewhere who say 'eh' at the end of every sentence. 

On a similar note, why do weegies say “but” at the end of sentances?

16 hours ago, McTeeko said:

My daughter Lori was only the FOURTH real person to ever appear in Oor Wullie after Alex Ferguson, Alex Salmond and Lorraine Kelly  

I forget, did you end up taking Wullie to the match, or did you fuck him off and give the ticket to a clown like @WCTA instead?

17 hours ago, McTeeko said:

That is actually worse than stealing sweeties from The Bairn.
You let a randomer in your house and give him sweetie money to look after the wean whilst you get ready for the match?

What were you doing apart from shaving off yer beard? 

15 hours ago, biffer said:

Just as an aside, I'd been reading through this tutorial this week, and says...

Bear in mind when reading Scottish documents what we think of as standard, 'correct' spelling of words was, to a great extent, an eighteenth century invention. Therefore, when reading historical documents prior to 1850 do not expect consistency in spelling.   Many words were written phonetically...

Most documents they refer to are in Scottish English and Scots spelling may never have been taught in schools, so not surprising that it varies.   Where did you learn Scots spelling?

On 4/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Is nt there some Edinburgh folk who use those words ; or i have i read too much irvine welsh ; ken , likesay ?

Irvine Welsh and John (I ken the trade) Hughes appear to speak a language nobody else does, iv lived in the capital my entire life and never once heard anybody say “likesay”.