The Teuchter Line - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Teuchter Line

Gtf all you zenophobes that lump together everyone west of Edinburgh as weegies.
Paisley Buddies have our own identity and individual nasal dialect. 

Do teuchters pronounce it as ‘teu’chter or ‘Chooch’ ter   ?  

40 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Definitely choochter. 

Well , I would have probably thought that too, but I can hear in my head a sort of high lilt and it being pronounced ‘tyooch’ ter. Do we have any teuchters in the house that can confirm ? 

Anyway enough of that. How on earth  did I miss this when it came out. Glaswegians have the 3rd sexiest accent in the UK and sexiest in Scotland ! Edinburgh was a mere 13th , even scousers beat them 😆

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/four-scottish-accents-have-been-listed-among-sexiest-uk-here-how-they-rank-547005%3famp

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Well , I would have probably thought that too, but I can hear in my head a sort of high lilt and it being pronounced ‘tyooch’ ter. Do we have any teuchters in the house that can confirm ? 

Anyway enough of that. How on earth  did I miss this when it came out. Glaswegians have the 3rd sexiest accent in the UK and sexiest in Scotland ! Edinburgh was a mere 13th , even scousers beat them 😆

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/four-scottish-accents-have-been-listed-among-sexiest-uk-here-how-they-rank-547005%3famp

Thats just plain wrong. 

Jim McDonald just didn't sound sexy at all. 

11 hours ago, duncan II said:

Yeah, and similarly, where does the line start and end east of which folk are condescending whanks about the way folk talk? 🙃

It’s around Currie, but we wouldn’t expect you to know that with your West Coast education.

15 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

In Inverclyde we have our own language. 

My friends from Paisley and Renfrew would say that to me all the time and I never knew what they meant, but then I moved to Paisley and I realised what they meant.

People from Inverclyde also have a bad habit of writing how they speak, for example

"In the town" becomes "Inny Toon"

I used to text like that when I was a teenager but it's quite depressing to still receive these type of texts at 35. 

45 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

My friends from Paisley and Renfrew would say that to me all the time and I never knew what they meant, but then I moved to Paisley and I realised what they meant.

People from Inverclyde also have a bad habit of writing how they speak, for example

I used to text like that when I was a teenager but it's quite depressing to still receive these type of texts at 35. 

What's bad about it? Why do you want to destroy your own language? Are you ashamed of how you speak?

14 hours ago, Farcity said:

Thats just plain wrong. 

Jim McDonald just didn't sound sexy at all. 

😂

I think we can safely ignore any survey that lists Essex as the sexiest language in the UK.

It was 1.5 mio people right enough 🤔

2 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

Because it is fucking ridiculous, that's why. Why not just write in English, which is the language we speak?

The internal logic of your argument is flawed as highlighted.

Edited by phart

9 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Anyone who says "ken" "laddie" and all that type of Oor Willie shite

Is nt there some Edinburgh folk who use those words ; or i have i read too much irvine welsh ; ken , likesay ?

think teuchtar is based upon ones perspective ; my dads side of family are all “toonsers” from Aberdeen city centre ; broad dialect - Mums side from Inverurie/Turriff way - who were always classed as teuchtars by the toonsers

i know in our visits as kids in the 70s that 15 mile journey ( before dual carriage way ) felt like a different time zone ; local kids down the chipper spoke different language to us

Inverurie now is more of a dormitory town feel to it

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change