Alcatraz.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just watched the film last night again. The one with Clint Eastwood as Frank Morris. Cannae be arsed to read anymore about it. Great film. To this day, I still believe they have no bodies or no evidence whether they made it or not. You think they made it? Be like escaping from Barlinie and running the Forth witha fucking homemade rubber raft. Just sayin like. I'm bored again. No sharks though..🤣🤘

On 4/17/2020 at 7:29 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just watched the film last night again. The one with Clint Eastwood as Frank Morris. Cannae be arsed to read anymore about it. Great film. To this day, I still believe they have no bodies or no evidence whether they made it or not. You think they made it? Be like escaping from Barlinie and running the Forth witha fucking homemade rubber raft. Just sayin like. I'm bored again. No sharks though..🤣🤘

There are many documentaries around that have gone deeper into it. One I watched not too long ago states the family of the escapees sent letters and postcards to them from far flung places. Plus it is said that a car on the island they were said to have reached was reported stolen around the time they would have made landfall. All thought provoking.

On reflection i'm not so sure

It is plausible that they escaped and made it to landfall but then all three disappearing for the rest of their lives and never being positively identified again is unlikely 

One person maybe but three ?

You would need to blend in and in a lot of cases would need a social security/work permit card etc

Unless someone is going to put you up you are going to have to find steady employment and accommodation

If you cant you are going to have to move around a lot

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It is plausible that they escaped and made it to landfall but then all three disappearing for the rest of their lives and never being positively identified again is unlikely 

You would need to blend in and in a lot of cases would need a social security/work permit card etc

Unless someone is going to put you up you are going to have to find steady employment and accommodation

You could counter that though with not one body washed up anywhere in the San Francisco Bay? 

True there are as you say questions about social security etc but reports suggested they worked on a farm in South America which would have given them financial security. Also there are those letters and postcards sent to family members said to be from the three escapees so there is enough to say it is possible they escaped.

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I’m sure a body was spotted from a ship near the Golden Gate Bridge a day or two after the escape so maybe only one or two of the three made it?

The story at the time was there was no chance anyone could swim either stretch between Alcatraz and the mainland or Angel Island but it has been done tons of time since so it’s possible at least one survived. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure a body was spotted from a ship near the Golden Gate Bridge a day or two after the escape so maybe only one or two of the three made it?

The story at the time was there was no chance anyone could swim either stretch between Alcatraz and the mainland or Angel Island but it has been done tons of time since so it’s possible at least one survived. 

My pal has done a triathlon where the swim leg was from Alcatraz back to the mianland. He isn’t even that great a swimmer.

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

That body has been discounted though as never had prison gear on which all Alcatraz inmates wore.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:22 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

There are many documentaries around that have gone deeper into it. One I watched not too long ago states the family of the escapees sent letters and postcards to them from far flung places. Plus it is said that a car on the island they were said to have reached was reported stolen around the time they would have made landfall. All thought provoking.

I think it is possible they made it. The fact it has never been actually solved, is fascinating. Then the prison closes a year later. Alcatraz is defo on my bucket list. I've a couple pals that went on the tour and said it brilliant. 

19 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I think it is possible they made it. The fact it has never been actually solved, is fascinating. Then the prison closes a year later. Alcatraz is defo on my bucket list. I've a couple pals that went on the tour and said it brilliant. 

I finally got there last year. A brilliant visit and very eerie at some points. 

As for the escapees you reference above, I just can't see them having survived. The wind that whips through the Bay is strong and the waters choppy. They'd have had to be the luckiest guys in history to have safely made dry land. 

14 hours ago, Parklife said:

I finally got there last year. A brilliant visit and very eerie at some points. 

As for the escapees you reference above, I just can't see them having survived. The wind that whips through the Bay is strong and the waters choppy. They'd have had to be the luckiest guys in history to have safely made dry land. 

Fair point. There are so many different theories. Is it possible someone met them with a boat halfway across, anything is possible, it is just proving it that remains the mystery.. Hopefully one day the truth will come out, not to sure though after all these years. Thing is, will the public ever know. I actually dont know if I would want to know. It keeps the mystic and legend of Alcatraz alive. Glad you enjoyed the visit, I will get there one day. Like you said, eerie, feeling. That's exactly what my mate said..

On 4/27/2020 at 2:27 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I went there a few years ago. Highly recommended. The prison has many of its original fittings in place and has been left as it was when a fully functioning prison. When I went thet even had the actual plaster cast head in a bumk that the prisoners actually used in their escape. You get a pair of earphones to put in so you can listen to a commentary as you walk around.

We did the night tour - The slamming of the cell doors in the dark was spine tingling - As was being locked in Al Capone's cell (13?) for 2 or 3 minutes

I really 'enjoyed' Alcatraz, although Robben Island tops it for me.....

On 4/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Texas Pete said:

Folk swim it all the time now. Although they're normally triathletes or open sea swimmers who train and have all the gear as opposed to prisoners.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:27 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I missed the Alcatraz tour I had booked in May 1999 as some of the boys from the San Francisco CSC (or whatever it was called) where we'd watched the title deciding game at Parkhead (Dallas hit with a coin etc) were buying us celebratory beers (well the ones that didn't want to murder us were!).  Was convinced we'd just be able to go the next day and it was full for weeks. Always been a regret.