Norman "Bite yer Legs" Hunter - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norman "Bite yer Legs" Hunter

Sad to hear of his passing. No matter that I didn't like Leeds or England , he was a player that you would want in your team rather than against you. Not many players achieve legendary status at their clubs but he certainly was at Leeds. Just hearing the tributes to him from reporters that worked with him and fellow players - he was incredibly popular - hard as nails on the pitch and a decent bloke off it. Don't think he ever patched up his feud with Francis Lee though

Sad news indeed. Watching some clips of him and although he certainly rattled into a number of opponents and left a fair few in a heap, what really struck me was when he got booked or spoken to by the ref he seemed to accept it no questions, no complaints and none of the histrionics you see from today's pampered lot. He knew his strengths and he knew when he overstepped the mark (which appears to be quite often!)

Indeed very sad.  

As well as playing for Leeds he was also manager of Barnsley during a period of intense rivalry between us (he was their manager when we pulled a crowd of just under 30,000 for a 3rd division game in 1981). Nothing but good words for him though on every HTFC forum & a general view from people who met him that off the pitch he was a thoroughly nice bloke. 

Another icon of that era gone

I doubt he would have had the career he did if he had been a decade and a half later

Looking at his stats he only had one red card lol

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Looking at his stats he only had one red card lol

That is not right but hard to find accuracy - you had to almost commit murder to get sent off in the 60s and early 70s

He was sent off in Europe as well as the famous incident with Franny Lee

Really sad. I was lucky enough to have a chat with him after a game we had played (Wakefield away. His daughter was married to Ronnie Glavin who was the Wakefield manager )he was a very soft spoken guy who seemed to enjoy talking football all be it non-league.