first ever football memory / not at the football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

first ever football memory / not at the football

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/aberdeen-great-joe-harper-relives-1970-scottish-cup-success-50-years-on-from-celtic-triumph/

on the railings at bridge of dee roundabout (dee motel) to see the Dons return with the cup ; 4 years old - after that they always used the bridge by duthie park - 76 lg cup etc....

i spoke to Tommy McMillan in the Grill , early 2000s  - re cup final - Derek McKays last game - he was looking for a pay rise , as still on reserve wages - (meagre uplift from what i recall) but told in no certain terms it was.nt happening

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/mcmillan-recalls-1970-cup-glory-day-and-special-welcome-home/

he also said a young player breaking through into the ranks , led to him dropping out the side ...

Willie Young

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

Another flippin' test to see how old folk are 😆

Earliest I remember was the '67 European Cup final on TV.   Were there ever any other live football games on TV then?   Highlights programs would have been past my bed time.

9 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Earliest I remember was the '67 European Cup final on TV.   Were there ever any other live football games on TV then?   Highlights programs would have been past my bed time.

And you're winning so far Jim 😁

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Find it bizarre that 72 ecwc final

huns v russians was delayed transmission only....

A couple of things for me from Summer 1970 when I'd have been coming up for my 6th birthday. I have a loose recollection that something had happened for Huddersfield Town as I kept getting given various specials from the local paper. I didn't really understand it, but we'd won the old 2nd division title. I got given a pennant which hung on my bedroom wall for many a year & I still have it somewhere.

I have similar memories of the 1970 World Cup. I remember getting loads of newspaper articles cut out & gluing them in a scrapbook & my dad telling me that Gordon Banks was the best goalie in the world. Which, being 6, became an established fact for me. I don't remember much about the tournament though as I assume I'd have been in bed when any games were being played.

The first actual football match I can remember was Arsenal v Liverpool, FA Cup Final in 1971. I don't think I even watched it but spent the afternoon out on my bike arguing with my mates about who we wanted to win.

Remember watching the 1990 cup final penalty shoot out on TV. Did a forward roll in the living room when Aberdeen won.

Can remember being at games that were a couple of years before that, but that’s the earliest memory i can date that didn’t involve going to a game.

3 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Probably as an 8 year old crying my eyes out when Scotland drew 1-1 with Yugoslavia to get knocked out of the 74 World Cup. 

I have memories of being evicted from the house so my dad could get his pals round (we were one of the few houses we knew with a colour telly). It was Argentina before I was a fitba obsessive.

First dateable memory is FA cup final 1970, and getting excited in the build up to the replay. It must've left me thinking football would always be that good. Looking it up, that was the April, remember the world cup during the summer pretty well. Couldn't understand why players weren't tearing around the pitch (had no concept of foreign heat).

After referencing Google my first couple of memories of football are absolute bollocks.

I always remembered my dad waking me up in our house in Stoke middle of the night to watch a game between a yellow side and an orange side.  We moved there when I was six in 1986 so just assumed it was Mexico 86 and must have been Netherlands v Brazil.  Unfortunately Netherlands never qualified and can’t see anyone Brazil are playing who’d be in orange so absolutely no idea what game I’m remembering.    

I remembered being allowed to stay up for the first half of a game which must have been 85-86 because still was Aberdeen house.  Again thought it was Juventus, as distinctly remember the black n white stripes, but swore down that they were playing a blue side and as it was in UK presumed it must have been Everton in Europe which again is a load of bollocks.

Probably my earliest memory I can fully recollect was being 9 and playing in goal for the primary school at an inter-district indoor five aside tournament at the local sports hall which must have had a few hundred folk at.  The goals were the really wide ones and low crossbars.  We got to the final and it went to sudden death so my arse was twitching.  This got worse when they broke away 2 v 1 and their lad squared it back to the boy on his own at the back post.  I remember sprinting across my line then launching myself as soon as the ball left his foot.  Whilst I was in the air I remember watching it all the way going close to bottom corner, but not completely, so I was about to save it like an absolute legend. The ball then hit the lip of the thin crash mats they put in front of the goal for keepers to dive on and span up a good 4 feet up in the air going over me.  Somehow I managed to contort myself to actually get finger tips to it and again thought I’d just pulled off an absolute worldy.  It hit the bar and was coming down a good couple of inches my side of the line – unfortunately it hit the backside lip of the crash mat this time as it had moved when I’d dived and bounced back in to the net.  The overriding memories of it was how slow motion it happened and  the loneliness after – their school were celebrating behind my goal and the rest of my team wondered over to our folk at the other end whilst I sat their last lad still on the pitch trying to work out what had just happened.   

12 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I remembered being allowed to stay up for the first half of a game which must have been 85-86 because still was Aberdeen house.  Again thought it was Juventus, as distinctly remember the black n white stripes, but swore down that they were playing a blue side and as it was in UK presumed it must have been Everton in Europe which again is a load of bollocks.

Everton v Rapid Vienna (green and white stripes), ECWC Final, 1985?

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Everton v Rapid Vienna (green and white stripes), ECWC Final, 1985?

It is and all I reckon cheers!!!  Just watched it on YouTube.  

If you can find me a yellow  v orangey team playing during the night between 86-88 that would really help out :)

38 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

If you can find me a yellow  v orangey team playing during the night between 86-88 that would really help out :)

No sure about the yellow v orangey team as surely one would’ve been wearing their away top? 🤨

The Everton game was in my head as I mind going to fitba training as a 9 year old and we were all talking about the game later that night as Everton had the two Scottish strikers up front (Sharp and Gray). 

The memory thing is interesting. I remember all sorts about my first match (Hudds v. West Ham, 1972). When I got to see footage of it years later, the goals were much as I remembered & I can picture where I was standing. 

But, most of my life, I’d have sworn on my life that it was a sunny day. I have a vivid memory of my first ever sight of a football ground & in that memory the sun is shining on a lush green pitch. It was a genuine shock to my system when about 30 years later I saw the footage & it was a cold, wet day & the pitch was an absolute mud bath. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

No sure about the yellow v orangey team as surely one would’ve been wearing their away top? 🤨

The Everton game was in my head as I mind going to fitba training as a 9 year old and we were all talking about the game later that night as Everton had the two Scottish strikers up front (Sharp and Gray). 

Back then was less likely to change for what we now deem a colour clash ; in that era celtic v hibs , rangers v morton, dons v dundee utd ( altho we usually changed away ) all typically wore their first team colours

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Spain were kinda orangey? The colour wasn't so good in them days.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Spain were kinda orangey? The colour wasn't so good in them days.

Had a peak on wiki for Mexico 86 games and thought that might be it but that played at 12.00 their time so 17.00 our time.    Thought about Belgium too when they played Spain but one of them played in white.  My old man remembers getting me up for one game but I fell asleep within 10 minutes.  

Edited by ThistleWhistle