Scotch pie roll with brown sauce - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotch pie roll with brown sauce

Square slice or square sausage in Paisley when i was brought up. I would never think if using Lorne, I thought Lorne was a name  given by posh folk who thought square sausage sounded too common 😁

It must have a reasonable amount of fat in it. Some are too dry. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Square slice or square sausage in Paisley when i was brought up. I would never think if using Lorne, I thought Lorne was a name  given by posh folk who thought square sausage sounded too common 😁

It must have a reasonable amount of fat in it. Some are too dry. 

Aye im Barrhead and its just square sausage, people who say slice are for the watching. Think it is more an Ayrshire thing.

Ask for a roll and sausage in glasgow and you get a square, but im sure I asked for one in Stirling and got hit with links.

29 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Aye im Barrhead and its just square sausage, people who say slice are for the watching. Think it is more an Ayrshire thing.

Ask for a roll and sausage in glasgow and you get a square, but im sure I asked for one in Stirling and got hit with links.

Links should come with a warning . If the cafe or van  havent pierced the skin you get a bloody first degree burn when you bite through it. 

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Links should come with a warning . If the cafe or van  havent pierced the skin you get a bloody first degree burn when you bite through it. 

Most of the shops I deliver to half the links long ways to finish cooking and take up more of the roll, so don't usually get this issue.

As rolls with anything go you will be hard pressed to beat the BLT with (a lot of) mayo. Been enjoying a renaissance with me recently.

Really nice softish roll (well fired if you can get it) with a quality smoked streaky bacon on the cusp of being chewy to crispy, very crisp iceberg lettuce, a generous handful of halved cherry tomatoes, lots of salt (despite the bacon being salty we are told by chefy cunts it really benefits from it). 

Protip: when the bacon is done and fresh out the oven/grill/pan cut the roll in half and face down use it soak all the hot bacon fat in the tray, this also helps crisp up the bacon as it rests for a few mins. Don't forget to still butter at least one half of the roll but, not to would be a schoolboy error, the other half should be well mayo'ed.

I swear to God the BLT(M) has it all.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

As rolls with anything go you will be hard pressed to beat the BLT with (a lot of) mayo. Been enjoying a renaissance with me recently.

Really nice softish roll (well fired if you can get it) with a quality smoked streaky bacon on the cusp of being chewy to crispy, very crisp iceberg lettuce, a generous handful of halved cherry tomatoes, lots of salt (despite the bacon being salty we are told by chefy cunts it really benefits from it). 

Protip: when the bacon is done and fresh out the oven/grill/pan cut the roll in half and face down use it soak all the hot bacon fat in the tray, this also helps crisp up the bacon as it rests for a few mins. Don't forget to still butter at least one half of the roll but, not to would be a schoolboy error, the other half should be well mayo'ed.

Butter 🤢

Too much mayo 🤮

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

You're 100% right. 

For work i'm out on the road every day, so inevitably know my way round a lunchtime deli counter.

A BLT is my go-to option. And there's nothing worse than a dry one. The wee wifeys behind the counter always ask if i want butter OR mayo. I feel like a fat bastard when i insist on both.